Poll: Would you support still Sens financially (buying tickets) if Karlsson leaves because Melnyk ?

Would you still support Sens if Karlsson leaves as direct result of Melnyk & his cheapness ?

• Yes

Votes: 50 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 64 56.1%

• Total voters

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Not sure where else to put this question, since the ownership thread is closed.

I am a bit curious. The TSN talking heads, Dreger, Bobby Mac, both discussed on radio stations across the country as well as in their TSN hockey coverage that the Ottawa Senators were/were not for sale. All of these "Sens for sale" discussions happened prior to the Board of Governors meetings where Eugene Melnyk was most likely in attendance. Also in attendance, covering these meetings, were TSN hockey guys, most likely Dreger. Why wouldn't Dreger or anyone from TSN try to get a quote from Melnyk regarding this? I know that we obviously wouldn't get any new information, but something is fishy. TSN sends reporters to Leafs practice to ask Auston Matthews what he had for breakfast, yet a legitimate story about the impending sale of one of its Canadian teams, doesn't need a sound bite from the potential seller??

Maybe I am wrong and the Euge wasn't even there, but shouldn't he have been there?

People on this site would not believe anything he would say, so it would be a waste of breath.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I saw what happened when Winnipeg lost their team so I'm going to have to continue buying my ticket packages to try and avoid that from happening.

I don't like what Melnyk has been doing but the alternative is worse IMO.

Ditto, personally and selfishly I don't really care about any other fans nor their wants or desires or most opinions but I like watching live NHL hockey and thus I want to continue doing that in my hometown city. Wonder what this city would be like had the Sens never returned, I believe worse off.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Not sure where else to put this question, since the ownership thread is closed.

I am a bit curious. The TSN talking heads, Dreger, Bobby Mac, both discussed on radio stations across the country as well as in their TSN hockey coverage that the Ottawa Senators were/were not for sale. All of these "Sens for sale" discussions happened prior to the Board of Governors meetings where Eugene Melnyk was most likely in attendance. Also in attendance, covering these meetings, were TSN hockey guys, most likely Dreger. Why wouldn't Dreger or anyone from TSN try to get a quote from Melnyk regarding this? I know that we obviously wouldn't get any new information, but something is fishy. TSN sends reporters to Leafs practice to ask Auston Matthews what he had for breakfast, yet a legitimate story about the impending sale of one of its Canadian teams, doesn't need a sound bite from the potential seller??

Maybe I am wrong and the Euge wasn't even there, but shouldn't he have been there?

I'm not entirely sure he was there. Right before the meetings, one of the big guys was on 1200 Lebrun, Dreger, or Mac, I can't for the life of me remember which one it was, I wish I could, but he was asked the exact question you are posing, and the response was along the lines of "well if he we're here, I sure haven't seen him. I'm not sure he's here at all."

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Ditto, personally and selfishly I don't really care about any other fans nor their wants or desires or most opinions but I like watching live NHL hockey and thus I want to continue doing that in my hometown city. Wonder what this city would be like had the Sens never returned, I believe worse off.

Not much difference. People would go to MTL or TO to watch NHL hockey, they'd spent their 100s at restaurants, movies, on big-screen TV's and other stuff. People overestimate the importance of sports teams because they (the teams) build emotional connections through brands and connections to kids and so on, but it really is a business.

If the Sens are no longer here, the min-wage workers will go to other locations, the players will make millions elsewhere and we'll spend our money and time in other interests.

Would I prefer the Senators stay...sure? But only if they're at LeBreton with a new owner, or if Melnyk becomes invisible and inaudible as owner. I mean, it was 70 years between the original Sens going to St. Louis and our new team, and people got drunk, got jobs, got laid, whatever. Treat the team as a business transaction and it'll be a lot smoother. That's what we did the moment Bryan Murray became GM, because we knew we'd never do anything of value with him at the helm.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not much difference. People would go to MTL or TO to watch NHL hockey, they'd spent their 100s at restaurants, movies, on big-screen TV's and other stuff. People overestimate the importance of sports teams because they (the teams) build emotional connections through brands and connections to kids and so on, but it really is a business.

I'm not a big fan of these kinds of arguments.

I mean, you can take them to their ultimate conclusion - nothing really matters except metabolism, oxygenation and reproduction.

I mean, yeah, restaurants are nice, but people can get their protein and glucose from other sources, like supplements, and movies are great, but, hey, close those down, and people can imagine all kinds of incredible storylines within the confines of their own mind.

I think there's a difference, and I think Winnipeg fans are the people to talk to about it.

In Canada, being in the NHL is like being in a club, and having your home town participate is special. I don't want to have to go to Montreal or Toronto to see the greatest hockey players on the planet play. I don't want to have to talk to Uber drivers or relatives or friends about other teams.

I think we've been here long enough that we actually take it for granted. I for one do remember what it was like before the Senators. Sure, I was a hockey fan (NYR!) but it wasn't the same.

Treat the team as a business transaction and it'll be a lot smoother. That's what we did the moment Bryan Murray became GM, because we knew we'd never do anything of value with him at the helm.

Sure, if I closed off all emotional avenues to everything I would never feel any kind of loss or pain whatsoever.

Just seems like a pretty shallow way to enjoy life.

And yes, I think some people take it WAYYY too seriously, and it is just entertainment, but it's different IMO than other forms of individual entertainment in that it involves a collective appreciation of physical challenge - and that's what is kind of unique and awesome about sports.

I think it may take the team leaving for people to realize it.

Last edited:

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
How do not understand that customers on the other end of his business can choose to withhold their money for whatever reason they see fit, whether it be on ice performance or off ice behaviour ?

The beauty of capitalism is it's consensual exchanges.

This is no different than any other boycott. Customers do want your product but you've chosen to behave a certain way , and they won't buy your stuff until you change/stop it/leave.

You can challenge their reasons as unfounded or ill considered, but just because he can do what we wants with his business doesn't mean we have to keep giving him cash to do so.

You have every right to not support the team and Melnyk is well aware of that, however I'm sure he's already analyzed the pros and cons and he's established that running the team on a budget is more advantageous financially (to him) than spending to the cap. The real issue is Dorion and his inability to properly manage a team and a budget.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

If the Sens are no longer here, the min-wage workers will go to other locations, the players will make millions elsewhere and we'll spend our money and time in other interests.

Would I prefer the Senators stay...sure? But only if they're at LeBreton with a new owner, or if Melnyk becomes invisible and inaudible as owner. I mean, it was 70 years between the original Sens going to St. Louis and our new team, and people got drunk, got jobs, got laid, whatever. Treat the team as a business transaction and it'll be a lot smoother. That's what we did the moment Bryan Murray became GM, because we knew we'd never do anything of value with him at the helm.

I was thinking more along the line of the economic impact to the city and medical and charitable contributions directly and indirectly related to the team.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I know I swing by here an awful lot for a Lightning fan but I do it because I love the hell out of you guys. But also as said Lightning fan I answer that you should not support the team because of Melnyk even now. The guy is a modern day NHL version of Hugh Culverhouse. For those who don't know who he is, he owned the Buccaneers and was a cheap (and yet remarkably charitable) owner who lied to our players about salaries during negotiations, let our first franchise QB Doug Williams walk in free agency (and of course he won a ring with the Redskins) because he asked for a salary that would have made him paid top 10 paid for his position, intentionally tried to sabotage Bo Jackson's baseball career and then had the nerve to attempt to draft him 1st overall after Jackson explicitly stating he would refuse to play for us. It just goes on and on. With the exception of very few, cheap owners who throw up their hands and cry poor never win anything.

Force Melnyk out of town.... its the only thing left to do

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Oh and before I forget, I'm trying only to contrast the cheapness of Culverhouse to Melnyk because as far as I know Melnyk is not a terrible human being who even cheats on his wife. Culverhouse probably comes closer to Harold Ballard than anything else but the lack of results due to cheapness remains the same.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Force Melnyk out of town.... its the only thing left to do

Sounds good, but how would we go about doing that?

I dont know if he has anyone around him anymore that has their ear to the ground here in Ottawa and will tell him plainly whats going on and how the fans feel.

We could stop going to the games, in fact plenty of people do that already but its Melnyk we want to leave, not the team,

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I've pretty much stopped supporting the team financially over the past few years. I voted 'Yes', because Karlsson leaving would only make things worse for the team and its direction.

It goes beyond being cheap and justifying it looking at a cap website. First of all, remember, MacArthur is not getting paid by the team. Secondly, the Sens seem to be a very cheap organization in general. I find it hard to judge Dorion for his GM work when we don't have the scouting, executives and experience, and finances as the teams we are trading with.

Even the season ticket agents and marketing department seem gutted.

I'm praying a new owner buys the Sens within a year and changes the culture around this organization.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I would still buy tickets because if everyone had this mentality the team would probably ya know...relocate. That being said you can still be creative and voice your discontent with ownership through other methods, signs at the arena, social media and so on.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Sure, if I closed off all emotional avenues to everything I would never feel any kind of loss or pain whatsoever.

Just seems like a pretty shallow way to enjoy life.

And yes, I think some people take it WAYYY too seriously, and it is just entertainment, but it's different IMO than other forms of individual entertainment in that it involves a collective appreciation of physical challenge - and that's what is kind of unique and awesome about sports.

I think it may take the team leaving for people to realize it.

Yeah I can only speak for myself but I would do my best to never watch an NHL game again outside of the inevitability of seeing one when with friends at a sports bar or whatever if the Sens moved.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Has Eugene Melnyk given us any reason to believe anything he says? He never even gave us the results of the forensic investigation.

So you agree with me, when I responded to Chezz when he posted .... "Why wouldn't Dreger or anyone from TSN try to get a quote from Melnyk regarding this? " and questioned his logic of trying to seek clarification.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I'm not entirely sure he was there. Right before the meetings, one of the big guys was on 1200 Lebrun, Dreger, or Mac, I can't for the life of me remember which one it was, I wish I could, but he was asked the exact question you are posing, and the response was along the lines of "well if he we're here, I sure haven't seen him. I'm not sure he's here at all."

I absolutely wouldn't believe anything he says, however, good journalism would chase the story and do everything in their power to get a quote.

Also, he had to be there, its a BOG meeting and he is one of the governors. If not, who would he send in his place? Anselmi? Was Guy Laliberte there instead?

Either way, seems like the league through their minions (TSN, Sportsnet) are doing everything in their power to squash any and all news of any potential sale. I hope of all this EK talk is a bunch of smoke and mirrors to distract the fanbase while the sale process begins.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I absolutely wouldn't believe anything he says, however, good journalism would chase the story and do everything in their power to get a quote.

Also, he had to be there, its a BOG meeting and he is one of the governors. If not, who would he send in his place? Anselmi? Was Guy Laliberte there instead?

Either way, seems like the league through their minions (TSN, Sportsnet) are doing everything in their power to squash any and all news of any potential sale. I hope of all this EK talk is a bunch of smoke and mirrors to distract the fanbase while the sale process begins.

Did it ever occur to you, that there is no "potential sale"?

Is it possible that the Sens owner is not a liar, and told the truth when he clearly stated that he had no intention to sell the team, when asked during the Lebreton Flats bidder selection process when someone floated the idea that he would sell his team to the other bidders if he lost the right to develop Lebreton Flats?

Are you the type of person, that follows the "sell high / buy low" ideology?

The current Senator's owner "bought low" when he purchased the CTC and the Senators .......... so what makes you think that this is the time for him to "sell high"?

Do you think the Senators will be worth more in the future, when the speculated expansion fee (in 2020 ) of more than 22 million comes rolling in, and the prospect of moving into a new downtown arena is a couple of years away?

What logic are you using, to state that a sale of the team is imminent?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
So you agree with me, when I responded to Chezz when he posted .... "Why wouldn't Dreger or anyone from TSN try to get a quote from Melnyk regarding this? " and questioned his logic of trying to seek clarification.

I am not sure if I agree or disagree, what's going on here? Dredger should be interviewing Melnyk about the potential sale at an owners meeting? I would definitely like to see Melnyk speak about it whether I believe him or, not, but then again, if you were to sell, would the NHL or Melnyk actually say anything?

That stuff is usually kept hush hush. The Thrashers move being a prime example. I suppose the only difference is the Thrashers move everyone and their mother knew but the NHL refused to talk about it, this potential Sens sale?

I, nor anyone else, really doesn't have a clue. There could be something there, but maybe there isn't.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Anyone have any thoughts about this. Posted by a poster in the business forum.

"According to a very solid source, the Ottawa Senators have been sold to a group headed by a guy named Jeff Hunt (an owner of the Ottawa Redblacks of the CFL).

Eugene Melnyk has finally given up his pursuit of a new arena. I don't know yet what it means to their future in Kanata and if they will still build a new arena in Lebreton Flats.

This will be announced sooner rather than later. "

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

"According to a very solid source, the Ottawa Senators have been sold to a group headed by a guy named Jeff Hunt (an owner of the Ottawa Redblacks of the CFL).

Eugene Melnyk has finally given up his pursuit of a new arena. I don't know yet what it means to their future in Kanata and if they will still build a new arena in Lebreton Flats.

Owns the 67's as well.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

I'm not saying this won't happen, but im very very skeptical that it has as of this moment.

Last edited:

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Personally I think the team has been so handicapped by bad moves that even if you manage to keep Karlsson the team around him is going to be mediocore.

I would support trading him if I thought the owner/GM were competent enough to do a proper rebuild, but I have no faith in Dorion or Melnyk.

If the team is bad enough to get a high pick and trades or waives Ryan/Phaneuf/Anderson (if possible), deals Hoffman/Brossard/Karlsson and tries to rebuild around Chabot, a pick, Karlsson return, Duchesne, Stone etc... I could swallow that, but only if we had good management. Otherwise it's just throwing in the towel and perpetual mediocrity.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

Jeff Hunt must have won the lottery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad