Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I'm not comparing who the Jets face, I'm comparing the Jets and Leafs and the Jets right now are better team than the Leafs.

Based on them beating the Wild, if the Leafs were beating the Bruins 3-1 that argument would hold no merit. Don’t bring in the regular season stuff in either especially considering the Jets didn’t even make the dance last year and as seen by the Oilers teams can regress from year to year.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Not to mention the Wild are also a over a 100 plus point team with one of the best home records, I wouldn't say their team isn't garbage at all

Weren’t playing with their best defeceman all series, arguably best forward for half the series. Seems like pretty easy pickings for me.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Weren’t playing with their best defeceman all series, arguably best forward for half the series. Seems like pretty easy pickings for me.
If Leafs had same amount of points in the regular season, you would play Devils instead, stop with the lame excuses...

Reactions: thejaf7

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
If Leafs had same amount of points in the regular season, you would play Devils instead, stop with the lame excuses...

It’s not an excuse, it’s facts. Don’t make it seem like you beat a power Wild team when they were far from their best. Take Hall away from Jersey and another key piece and ya that’s easy pickings too.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
And the Jets weren't playing with 3-4 of their best d man plus one of the better workhorses in Perrault, and minus Ehlers your point is?

Those defenceman are role players as is Perrault. Ehlers missed one game lol. Take away Buff and Scheif/Wheelers then you would have an argument

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I agree but I really think the Jets should try to really take advantage of this now. The Leafs were never in a situation to have their best year now.

Same here, Next year! So the wait is longer than you think. ;)
6819_FWJets-400.jpg

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
It’s not an excuse, it’s facts. Don’t make it seem like you beat a power Wild team when they were far from their best. Take Hall away from Jersey and another key piece and ya that’s easy pickings too.

But I guess you had no problem dumping on Jets for not making the playoffs, when Central by far was the best division?
(Im not sure it is the best still, it is all an argument)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I don't think you are, as that's a very common saying. But... at least you learned something today.
You can’t be on Hfboards for almost 20 years and not know what hyperbole means. It’s one of the most predictable words used by simple minded and highly defensive posters who are trying to excuse their unintelligent posts.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
Those defenceman are role players as is Perrault. Ehlers missed one game lol. Take away Buff and Scheif/Wheelers then you would have an argument

This is your problem, see you think one or two guys super seed the whole team dynamic of success. One or two players aint gonna carry a team deep into the playoffs. You need everyone. All those "role" players you listed all contribute to the sum of the Jets success heavily. You lose of few of them and the team is definitely weakened.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Based on them beating the Wild, if the Leafs were beating the Bruins 3-1 that argument would hold no merit. Don’t bring in the regular season stuff in either especially considering the Jets didn’t even make the dance last year and as seen by the Oilers teams can regress from year to year.

Based on the standings too. Remember the Jets finished with more points than the almighty Leafs.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
But I guess you had no problem dumping on Jets for not making the playoffs, when Central by far was the best division?
(Im not sure it is the best still, it is all an argument)

Well I mean the whole Jets never won a playoff game, or series can't be used anymore...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

As for the injury excuse, in Game 5, the Jets were missing their best defenseman and a top 6 forward (Ehlers). Combine that with losing half of their top 6 and it’s similar to the Wild losing Suter and Parise. And the Jets still hammered them.

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
He has a much better supporting cast, which does help.

Looking at the Leafs core 3, currently imo:

Matthews > Laine
Nylander = Ehlers
Marner > Connor

But this isnt wayne gretzky's 3D hockey, and after that the rest of the Jets forwards are better.

Defensively, even with the injuries, Buff, Trouba, Mo and Myers > Rielly, Gard, Hainsey and Zaitsev.

I think Andersen is a better goalie but he sure hasn't played like it.
Lol. Quite the random comparisons there...

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
If we're going more positional, Scheifele is far better than Matthews for 200 feet. Laine has played better than expected in the playoffs, in game 5, he was great defensively. Matthews is not good at all in his own zone, obviously very dangerous in the O zone, but he is easily out done physically even though he is big. Is Laine better than JVR? or Marner? I think Kyle Connor is better than most Leaf Wingers at this point. And I'd probably take Stasny over Matthews in the playoffs.
I don't think anyone on the Leafs is better than Laine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad