Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Laine has played really well and adapted his game to the playoffs. Using his body more, physical and he opens up the ice so much more for his line-mates.

MIN made concerted efforts to take away the one timer from the circle for Laine which opened up players (ie: Scheifele) in the slot a lot to get shots and opportunities

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Laine has played really well and adapted his game to the playoffs. Using his body more, physical and he opens up the ice so much more for his line-mates.

MIN made concerted efforts to take away the one timer from the circle for Laine which opened up players (ie: Scheifele) in the slot a lot to get shots and opportunities

Yeah he's a weapon on the PP even when the opposition staples a guy to him.

Reactions: Fairview

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah he's a weapon on the PP even when the opposition staples a guy to him.
yup it was evident on the PP. you can see Buff look to him and MIN would have players shadowing him with no room for the one timer and he would go to Wheeler on the opposite side. Thought Laine's puck carrying was notably better this block of games as well. I was impressed with Laine for his first playoff series against a veteran team/coach in the Wild and Boudreau.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He has a much better supporting cast, which does help.

Looking at the Leafs core 3, currently imo:

Matthews > Laine
Nylander = Ehlers
Marner > Connor

But this isnt wayne gretzky's 3D hockey, and after that the rest of the Jets forwards are better.

Defensively, even with the injuries, Buff, Trouba, Mo and Myers > Rielly, Gard, Hainsey and Zaitsev.

I think Andersen is a better goalie but he sure hasn't played like it.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I don't have an opinion on which player but wouldn't put much into this first round. - and I definitely like Winnipeg a whole hecuva lot more so it's not pro-Toronto anything.

I do think there's a bit of difference playing against the Bruins as compared to the Wild.
The Bruins are probably the best team in the Eastern conference and play like it, with some seasoned vets and some of the best players out there. Matthews has been disappointing - but Boston has made 1st lines look bad all season. One of the reasons they had such a good year is that they shut down other teams top players consistently. They're well coached, structured, and execute. It's a very tough match-up for Matthews to impact the game.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You said that nothing would make you happier. My wish for you is that, one day, something in your life would make you happier than this. Best of luck.

My hope for you is that one day you will learn what hyperbole is.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He has a much better supporting cast, which does help.

Looking at the Leafs core 3, currently imo:

Matthews > Laine
Nylander = Ehlers
Marner > Connor

But this isnt wayne gretzky's 3D hockey, and after that the rest of the Jets forwards are better.

Defensively, even with the injuries, Buff, Trouba, Mo and Myers > Rielly, Gard, Hainsey and Zaitsev.

I think Andersen is a better goalie but he sure hasn't played like it.

yeah I think overall the biggest difference is the bolded, and while Andersen is better than he's played this series he is still a midpack goaltender. He's not one of the top guys in the league.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Yeah Wild were cheating(for Laine) this whole series which opened up other plays, and Jets will hurt you if you give them space.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Jets are just a more complete team. I think Toronto could get there as soon as next season but right now the Jets are the better team.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
If we're going more positional, Scheifele is far better than Matthews for 200 feet. Laine has played better than expected in the playoffs, in game 5, he was great defensively. Matthews is not good at all in his own zone, obviously very dangerous in the O zone, but he is easily out done physically even though he is big. Is Laine better than JVR? or Marner? I think Kyle Connor is better than most Leaf Wingers at this point. And I'd probably take Stasny over Matthews in the playoffs.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Is Laine a 38 year old seasoned vet that never has issues finding confidence or what?

If I’m correct, Laine is actually younger and has had to fight agaisnt this Phychological issue much more than Matthews, on most night Laine is either the best player on the ice or a liability(sometimes he can be in between but rarely does that ever happen) when it comes to his confidence whereas Matthews pretty much consistently Elite every night.

All players have psychological wether they are young or old. I mean look at Giroux, one year he’s struggling to get 60 and the next he’s found 102 out of no where.

This argument is probably the worst one yet as it is not only one with little factor but one that if anything is heavily on Laines side going forward(as he has more consistency and psychological terms to come to grip with game in and game out).

You're reading it very selectively.

Do i have to explain on a daycare level how age doesn't HAVE TO be A factor but can be ONE factor and is a COMMON factor for MANY but NOT ALL? google "common sense".

There are 38 year olds that are inconsistent and not clutch whatsoever... BUT they're usually more seasoned mentaly than they were 18 years ago.

Also consistency and clutch are two different mental abilities.

Jesus Christ you're making an atomic bomb out of a water balloon

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Laine's style is a better fit for playoffs. Matthews scores most of his goals close to net, and as seen, take that space away and he won't score. Laine on the other hand is always a threat to score with a wrister from the blue line. Laine is also bigger and more physical.

And come on, Laine not a key piece for Winnipeg? He lead the team in goals and was second in points. 2nd in the whole league in goals and 1st in powerplay goals. :huh:

Laine also has a history of stepping his game up when it matters and playoff MVP awards, while Matthews has a history of 1st round exits.

What Laine did in Finland means jack shit, it’s like saying Matthews was a beast at the American under age camps which he was. This is Laine’s first real playoffs so he’s the MVP of nothing.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Laine's style is a better fit for playoffs. Matthews scores most of his goals close to net, and as seen, take that space away and he won't score. Laine on the other hand is always a threat to score with a wrister from the blue line. Laine is also bigger and more physical.

And come on, Laine not a key piece for Winnipeg? He lead the team in goals and was second in points. 2nd in the whole league in goals and 1st in powerplay goals. :huh:

Laine also has a history of stepping his game up when it matters and playoff MVP awards, while Matthews has a history of 1st round exits.
You're completely forgetting about last year's playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad