Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This doesn't even make sense to me, there's next to no reason to even compare these two. Matthews is a number one center since he entered the league at 19 and is one of the most if not the most important player for his team's success. Laine is currently a third line winger who's lucky if he's considered in the top 6 of his team's most important players. It's like when the smallest kid in the class picks a fight with the biggest knowing the teacher is behind them to bail them out. Oddly enough, that is about the level of intelligence behind the torch carriers of this "debate".

Ouch!!! Burnt myself trying to handle that hot take

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I think he's speaking of Matthews still being young and discovering the psychological aspects of it.

Psychology is a huge factor in performing during Playoffs when it matters the most and usually veterans are more desensitised to that pressure and are more experienced in being able to keep composure and not let adversity get to you.

Basically Auston's playing his age where adversity hits him a bit harder than when it will when he gets older and has the mental side of the sport figured out.

Is Laine a 38 year old seasoned vet that never has issues finding confidence or what?

If I’m correct, Laine is actually younger and has had to fight agaisnt this Phychological issue much more than Matthews, on most night Laine is either the best player on the ice or a liability(sometimes he can be in between but rarely does that ever happen) when it comes to his confidence whereas Matthews pretty much consistently Elite every night.

All players have psychological wether they are young or old. I mean look at Giroux, one year he’s struggling to get 60 and the next he’s found 102 out of no where.

This argument is probably the worst one yet as it is not only one with little factor but one that if anything is heavily on Laines side going forward(as he has more consistency and psychological terms to come to grip with game in and game out).

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
It's too bad the Leafs don't have a Matthews to line up against Wheeler, Scheifele and Laine in these comparisons. They only drafted the one.

It’s not about not having enough Matthews type players it’s about the fact Scheifele and Wheeler are better(currently) while Laine is just as good as Matthews.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
It’s not about not having enough Matthews type players it’s about the fact Scheifele and Wheeler are better(currently) while Laine is just as good as Matthews.
I can't say I agree with you. Especially the part about Laine. If there are no Scheifele and Wheeler and Laine had to be the Jets engine, like Matthews is for the Leafs they wouldn't look so shit hot. When looking at playoff numbers remember who each team is playing. Matthews would f***ing slay Minnesota without Suter.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
So if Matthews was producing jack(Laine hasn’t been all that great especially in the last 3 games) but the Leafs were beating then it woukd be all good? Your logic is massivly flawed. It’s like saying Trouba is a better defenceman than Doughty because Drew’s team got swept.

His logic is the fact Laine is producing more for his team and actually trying hard in all zones, hitting more, etc. If Trouba was playing better than Doughty in a playoffs and Troubas team was being helped more because of that factor of Trouba playing better than Trouba is the better performer.

For instance look at #34 at the minute mark

#29 ties the opening series game and gets the momentum back for the Jets to win the opening game

See the argument your trying to make is by using a name that is highly recognized it makes your argument better, but it doesn’t because if one player is playing better than the other the name on the back of ones jersey doesn’t matter(to put it simple the better player would make the better player not the name).

Reactions: Gurilla

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I can't say I agree with you. Especially the part about Laine. If there are no Scheifele and Wheeler and Laine had to be the Jets engine, like Matthews is for the Leafs they wouldn't look so **** hot. When looking at playoff numbers remember who each team is playing. Matthews would ****ing slay Minnesota without Suter.

Matthews isn’t the only engine of the Leafs though, Marner, Nylander, Andersen and Rielly are there too(all that adds up as the Leafs aren’t as good for this particular reason). I see your point though but you act as if the Leafs are the Jets equal and it’s impossible for 3 players to be as good as or better than your best because of that, but in reality the Jets are much better(pretty much every playoff team has had to face this situation since Sid and Malkin).

There is no telling what Matthews would do with Minnesota as he seems as if he can’t match the physicality of the playoffs and the Wild are one real physical team, I don’t think Matthews would do that well.

Reactions: Fairview

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I love when people say stuff like “switch their teams and Matthews would dominate and Laine would do nothing.”

That’s like my favourite kind of argument, which is saying something.

Reactions: Lovedemfanboys

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Matthews isn’t the only engine of the Leafs though, Marner, Nylander, Andersen and Rielly are there too(all that adds up as the Leafs aren’t as good for this particular reason). I see your point though but you act as if the Leafs are the Jets equal and it’s impossible for 3 players to be as good as or better than your best because of that, but in reality the Jets are much better(pretty much every playoff team has had to face this situation since Sid and Malkin).

There is no telling what Matthews would do with Minnesota as he seems as if he can’t match the physicality of the playoffs and the Wild are one real physical team, I don’t think Matthews would do that well.
I think you're right, it has been said of Nylander as well. They're soft playoff chokers. When the intensity is ramped up they wilt under the pressure.

Reactions: Pure

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
So if Matthews was producing jack(Laine hasn’t been all that great especially in the last 3 games) but the Leafs were beating then it woukd be all good? Your logic is massivly flawed. It’s like saying Trouba is a better defenceman than Doughty because Drew’s team got swept.
Trouba is better.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
This is a thread about the playoffs of Laine and Matthews. Everyone is dumping on Matthews for under performing while raising Laine up like he's some sort of demi god because he's been able to produce. When the simple fact is Laine plays for a better team and has more support, he get's easier matchups because he's Winnipeg's 3rd best forward. Matthews is the Leafs top dog, he doesn't have Wheeler and Scheifele. The same way Pasta for Boston is lighting it up. It's because he's with Bergeron and Marchand. If Pasta and Laine had to be the top dog on their team's they wouldn't be able to beat the Leafs. Their teams are better and they're producing more offense because they have more super stars. Not because of Laine or Pasta individually. They're third wheels. Matthews is the Leafs engine.
Pasta is scoring because the Leafs aren't good enough to stop him...

Reactions: snowkiddin

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is a thread about the playoffs of Laine and Matthews. Everyone is dumping on Matthews for under performing while raising Laine up like he's some sort of demi god because he's been able to produce. When the simple fact is Laine plays for a better team and has more support, he get's easier matchups because he's Winnipeg's 3rd best forward. Matthews is the Leafs top dog, he doesn't have Wheeler and Scheifele. The same way Pasta for Boston is lighting it up. It's because he's with Bergeron and Marchand. If Pasta and Laine had to be the top dog on their team's they wouldn't be able to beat the Leafs. Their teams are better and they're producing more offense because they have more super stars. Not because of Laine or Pasta individually. They're third wheels. Matthews is the Leafs engine.

How things have changed here.
Jets were supposed to finish near bottom of the Central, Toronto has the best F depth in the league, Toronto is too fast for the Bruins, and whatever.

Marner has been the best Leaf forward, easily the most dangerous and he's playing the tough minutes.
Laine loves big games, his game/attitude fits playoffs well, Pasta is just ...ng good and that's why he's scoring. He plays the tough minutes in Boston and is dominating.

Feb 24, 2017
I think Matthews and Laine should hop on a computer and spend copious amounts, and use selective facts, to argue about which fan base is better.
Nothing is ever funny after the word copious

It’s like an instant humour killer

Trying to hard

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Laine's style is a better fit for playoffs. Matthews scores most of his goals close to net, and as seen, take that space away and he won't score. Laine on the other hand is always a threat to score with a wrister from the blue line. Laine is also bigger and more physical.

And come on, Laine not a key piece for Winnipeg? He lead the team in goals and was second in points. 2nd in the whole league in goals and 1st in powerplay goals. :huh:

Laine also has a history of stepping his game up when it matters and playoff MVP awards, while Matthews has a history of 1st round exits.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRW204

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
This is such a bs narrative. Patty plays on the winnipeg 2nd line.

I know. I was making fun of the poster who said Laine is 3rd line winger and not top-6 in importance for the Jets. If you have 44 goal 3rd line winger you're pretty deep team and quite well set for cup win.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
How things have changed here.
Jets were supposed to finish near bottom of the Central, Toronto has the best F depth in the league, Toronto is too fast for the Bruins, and whatever.

Marner has been the best Leaf forward, easily the most dangerous and he's playing the tough minutes.
Laine loves big games, his game/attitude fits playoffs well, Pasta is just ...ng good and that's why he's scoring. He plays the tough minutes in Boston and is dominating.

One extreme to the other. First we can't hear enough about Marner, Nylander and all the other talent they have, now apparently Matthews has no help.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
One extreme to the other. First we can't hear enough about Marner, Nylander and all the other talent they have, now apparently Matthews has no help.

Like I said Marner has been easily Torontos best and he's had the toughest minutes. Wonder how he's able to do that but Matthews hasn't/can't.

Boston had nothing special bottom6 and Leafs F group was going to run over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->