Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Will these playoffs change the unanimous belief held by everybody outside of Jets fans that Matthews is better than Laine if these two players continue on their trajectories?

To me, and im sure everybody else, Matthews has been invisible and the Jets are scorching hot with Laine leading the charge. In this up and down fluctuation of determining who is the better player, has Laine surpassed Matthews for the time being?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
16oQL_s-200x150.gif

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It changes nothing. Matthews is the better overall player.
And BTW, calm down on this it's been 2 games. Matthews looked great last season in the playoffs and you've forgotten already. Matthews had 5 points in 6 games against the caps.
NHL fans today are all about what happened last night.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Matthews is going against the best line in hockey. It's precisely situations like this that make comparing playoff numbers between players so iffy. The competition players face is so different.

If Laine has a Conn Smythe-esque dominating performance, then that's probably enough to sway him above Matthews. Otherwise, no.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Matthews gets owned by Bergeron at home 2 games in a row and Laine faces a much easier opponent = Laine is better. People will believe what they want so no point in arguing with those on here.. I am filling up my ignore list nicely though.

Here come the excuses!

I think both are pretty equal IMO.

Reactions: ManWithNoName

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Here come the excuses!

I think both are pretty equal IMO.

I mean if you want to ignore facts and call them excuses go for it. Matthews is facing a way tougher challenge being matched against the best shutdown line in the NHL that has shut down guys like Crosby before, and a Bruins team that allows no space.

I've watched the Jets all playoffs so far. Way more time and space in their game than the Bruins are giving the Leafs. But like I said, I don't really care. People at this point will pick Laine even if they think they are pretty even (Which is a fair opinion) just to get to Leaf fans.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I mean if you want to ignore facts and call them excuses go for it. Matthews is facing a way tougher challenge being matched against the best shutdown line in the NHL that has shut down guys like Crosby before, and a Bruins team that allows no space.

I've watched the Jets all playoffs so far. Way more time and space in their game than the Bruins are giving the Leafs. But like I said, I don't really care. People at this point will pick Laine even if they think they are pretty even (Which is a fair opinion) just to get to Leaf fans.

Maybe Matthews will ask coach for easier matchups because he's afraid of competing against the league's elite?

Reactions: MVPGoon

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Forget the points. Laine engages in the games. He finishes every check and returns every slash and crosscheck. Has matthews had 1 hit in 2 years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
A big difference between the 2 is physical play, Laine enjoys that style of play.

We have too small of a sample size to say anything else really.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
For my eyes it have looked that Laine enjoys every minute on the ice and Matthews is at times looking like he would be anywhere else rather than in that rink. He might not be 100 % shape and that’s bad when playoffs come. He isn’t same guy now who he was first half of the season. And Maurice has luxury to use Laine 15-17 minutes per game which keeps him fresh through games and series.

Reactions: MrThomas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad