Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think Mo was a little underrated. The players are buying into his system and it is working. Of course having better personnel at nearly every position since he started here has definitely helped.

I was really frustrated with him last season.
Has stepped up nicely since.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Matthews is more susceptible to being dragged down?

This is a whole new narrative and first time I’ve heard this. Up until now it’s been Matthews drives his line and lifts players up.

Im not disagreeing, just first time I’ve seen a leaf fan say this.

I think he's speaking of Matthews still being young and discovering the psychological aspects of it.

Psychology is a huge factor in performing during Playoffs when it matters the most and usually veterans are more desensitised to that pressure and are more experienced in being able to keep composure and not let adversity get to you.

Basically Auston's playing his age where adversity hits him a bit harder than when it will when he gets older and has the mental side of the sport figured out.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
This doesn't even make sense to me, there's next to no reason to even compare these two. Matthews is a number one center since he entered the league at 19 and is one of the most if not the most important player for his team's success. Laine is currently a third line winger who's lucky if he's considered in the top 6 of his team's most important players. It's like when the smallest kid in the class picks a fight with the biggest knowing the teacher is behind them to bail them out. Oddly enough, that is about the level of intelligence behind the torch carriers of this "debate".

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
This doesn't even make sense to me, there's next to no reason to even compare these two. Matthews is a number one center since he entered the league at 19 and is one of the most if not the most important player for his team's success. Laine is currently a third line winger who's lucky if he's considered in the top 6 of his team's most important players. It's like when the smallest kid in the class picks a fight with the biggest knowing the teacher is behind them to bail them out. Oddly enough, that is about the level of intelligence behind the torch carriers of this "debate".
And Laine is helping his team on to the 2nd round and Matthews...not so much.
Soft player, soft team.

Shadowdancer

Professional Lurker
Aug 7, 2011
Saskatoon
Wha..? I can't even...

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
And Laine is helping his team on to the 2nd round and Matthews...not so much.
Soft player, soft team.
Ron Hainsey helped his team to a cup victory last year, does that make him part of the top 6 d-men in the league? Weak post, weak mind.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ron Hainsey helped his team to a cup victory last year, does that make him part of the top 6 d-men in the league? Weak post, weak mind.
Leafs are a weak team...
The Jets played the Bruins a couple of weeks ago, Tanev got a hat trick against Bergeron's line. Matthews is a poor playoff performer, it is obvious. Laine is going on to the 2nd round...nuff said.

Last edited:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Boston finished 11 points better than Minnesota. Winnipeg finished 13 points better than Minnesota.

I'm not sure why you keep trying to compare Boston to Minnesota.
The Jets - Wild series was 2 in the west vs 4 in the west.
The Bruins - Leafs series is 2 in the east vs 4 in the east.

Winnipeg and Boston get easier match ups because they finished 2 in their respective conferences, the Leaf and Wild get tougher matchup because they finished 4th.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

Must be tough when a third line winger is outproducing and makes a bigger impact in the playoffs then a nr 1 center.....

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
TIL: the 2nd leading goal scorer in the NHL is a third line winger.

Reactions: Plural and Moon Man

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
TIL: the 2nd leading goal scorer in the NHL is a third line winger.

I'm really not sure what you are trying to say, are you saying Laine is a key part of Winnipeg? (he isn't) His team is literally winning games with him producing zero?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'm not sure why you keep trying to compare Boston to Minnesota.
The Jets - Wild series was 2 in the west vs 4 in the west.
The Bruins - Leafs series is 2 in the east vs 4 in the east.

Winnipeg and Boston get easier match ups because they finished 2 in their respective conferences, the Leaf and Wild get tougher matchup because they finished 4th.
This is a thread about the playoffs of Laine and Matthews. Everyone is dumping on Matthews for under performing while raising Laine up like he's some sort of demi god because he's been able to produce. When the simple fact is Laine plays for a better team and has more support, he get's easier matchups because he's Winnipeg's 3rd best forward. Matthews is the Leafs top dog, he doesn't have Wheeler and Scheifele. The same way Pasta for Boston is lighting it up. It's because he's with Bergeron and Marchand. If Pasta and Laine had to be the top dog on their team's they wouldn't be able to beat the Leafs. Their teams are better and they're producing more offense because they have more super stars. Not because of Laine or Pasta individually. They're third wheels. Matthews is the Leafs engine.

Reactions: hockeyes

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The reason that Laine is doing so much better than Matthews is because the Jets are so dam deep and the Jets have lots of other good players and Laine does not need to be the "guy".

The Leafs needs to fix their depth issues and get better on D.

Reactions: aqsw and hockeyes

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I'm really not sure what you are trying to say, are you saying Laine is a key part of Winnipeg? (he isn't) His team is literally winning games with him producing zero?
You can’t read.
I’m saying that the 2nd leading goal scorer in the league isn’t a third line player

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
The reason that Laine is doing so much better than Matthews is because the Jets are so dam deep and the Jets have lots of other good players and Laine does not need to be the "guy".

The Leafs needs to fix their depth issues and get better on D.

So basically Laine is doing better than Matthews because his teammates carry him...awesome argument haha

Reactions: Uncle Bob

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Leafs are a weak team...
The Jets played the Bruins a couple of weeks ago, Tanev got a hat trick against Bergeron's lune. Matthews is a poor playoff performer, it is obvious. Laine is going on to the 2nd round...nuff said.

So if Matthews was producing jack(Laine hasn’t been all that great especially in the last 3 games) but the Leafs were beating then it woukd be all good? Your logic is massivly flawed. It’s like saying Trouba is a better defenceman than Doughty because Drew’s team got swept.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
So basically Laine is doing better than Matthews because his teammates carry him...awesome argument haha

This was on Sportsnet in the afternoon, they said that the Jets depth allows Laine to have a little more freedom because it is very hard to match up against the Jets because all of their 4 lines can hurt you offensively.

I will give you a example, say it is Jets vs Bruins, they match the Bergeron line against the Laine line, they may or may not shut them down but the Jets have 3 other lines that can hurt the Bruins, the Bruins will be forced to spread the Bergeron line around(this may have to be done at a critical time) because if they don't the Jets other lines will do damage, this allows Laine to have more freedom and this is why the Leafs need more depth and a good D.

I am really getting sick and tired of Bergeron, Bergeron this Bergeron that, f*** Bergeron. This asshole at my work wears a Bergeron jersey, it pisses me off(if I had won the lotto 649, I would have knocked him out.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->