Pre-Game Talk: Playoff Preview: Washington Capitals (1st Metro) v Toronto Maple Leafs (2nd WildCard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
We are in HUGE trouble. Lucky to win one game.

If we dont, so be it. This season was a success by just making the playoffs. The trolls will think otherwise, (meh) but it really was. Especially when you go from DFL to a wild card spot.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
2010. Canadiens over the Capitals.

Caps had a 121 point season. Habs had 88 points.

2006. Oilers over the Red Wings was also pretty big.

Oilers went to the Finals that season after a 95 point season. Red Wings were top 2 in goals for and goals against, and had 113 points that season.

Personally, my favourite is:

Damien Rhodes and the 8th place Senators beating Martin Brodeur and the 1st place Devils.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'm a fan but a realist, but we're a team who can't afford to lose one of our top 4 defenseman.

Hard to not see a sweep or 5 game series at this point. I'll be cheering hard regardless.

Marincin takes dumb penalties. I'd rather have Marchenko but Marincin actually has some decent possession numbers.

Also, **** Simmons. "Source: Zaitsev will play game 1"

His source is himself and he lies frequently.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Im curious to watch series but also realize they have nothing to lose. They barely made playoffs and all the pressure is on the capitals to be best.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Marincin takes dumb penalties. I'd rather have Marchenko but Marincin actually has some decent possession numbers.

My problem with Marincin is that he's terrible under pressure and has MAJOR issues when the puck is at his feet. Marchenko is a much safer, more physical and overall better option.

Hopefully he'll be motivated enough to use his size. For a guy that big, he has to be one of the softest defenceman in the league.

We might see 25 minutes each from the top 4.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Pittsburgh's B team. That game was gift wrapped for us.

A game against Crosby and Kessel is "gift wrapped"? I don't think so.

Anywhoo.. I expect that Marincin isn't going to see much more than 5 or 6 minutes in tomorrows game. The issue isn't so much who comes in in place of Zaitsev. The real issue is how Rielly and Gardiner will handle the extra workload.

Morgan has barely played on the PP down the stretch, while Zaitsev was on the top unit. So now Rielly will have to play both special teams, while getting more ES time against tougher competition.

Pops

Sep 22, 2016
I just hope we play well enough to make it a decent series

I'd be very happy if we won 2 games. That would be a huge accomplishment

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

No one has a lot of sources inside the organization anymore. I take it all with a grain of salt unless Bob Mackenzie tweets it out.

I am not thinking about a sweep or a loss in 5. I just take it a game at a time.

Absolutely, need to take it 1 game at a time, even a shift at a time, the result may still be the same anyway a 4-0 or 4-1 series but the mountain just got even tougher to climb without Zaitsev.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Yes, Kessel scoring against us, losing our goalie, being down because of an unfortunate bounce, tying it and winning it late in regulation, it was definitely gift wrapped. 100%. :shakehead

Considering the lineup that they iced, yes, it was gift wrapped. We just did not pounce early and often, and made it difficult on ourselves to accept the gift. :shakehead

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
That's a pretty bold statement to make. We could get lucky and win a couple series and next thing you know we're in the finals and win it. Leicester City had a 5000/1 odd to win the Premier League at the beginning of last season but they still won. And I wouldn't say our odds are that low.

2010. Canadiens over the Capitals.

Caps had a 121 point season. Habs had 88 points.

2006. Oilers over the Red Wings was also pretty big.

Oilers went to the Finals that season after a 95 point season. Red Wings were top 2 in goals for and goals against, and had 113 points that season.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

BeLeaf! We are gonna do it!

#Standwitness

:yo::yo::yo:

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
I still don't think that gives them enough credit. We absolutely deserve to be in the playoffs. Nothing was gift wrapped for us the whole season.

I am not taking anything away from the season, and fully agree that they deserve the playoffs. However, the team was reeling in that last week, and having to face Pittsburgh's inferior lineup with nothing to play for was a much needed break.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Considering the lineup that they iced, yes, it was gift wrapped. We just did not pounce early and often, and made it difficult on ourselves to accept the gift. :shakehead

Sometimes its harder to beat a team with younger guys trying to prove something as opposed to playing a bunch of starters playing out the string.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Oilers had Pronger, Smyth, Hemsky, Peca, and Rolston... and Pisani went crazy.
All I remember with habs was halak turned into hasek.
Leafs don't have a Pronger or Peca, but if Anderson can turn into hasek and the rookies catch fire and JVR and Kadri step it up then we might have a chance... Brown can be this years Fernando Pisani.

All I'm saying is that they were massive underdogs and made it through. They got hot at the right time and some players got crazy lucky, like Pisani. Either way, that's my point.

Those teams didn't have the scoring depth we have right now either. So maybe every line explodes and score a lot. Maybe Marner scores at a 2 or 3 points a game clip in this series. Maybe Andersen gets hot again and plays like he did in March/December. Maybe Rielly turns into Nidermayer in this series. It's also not inconceivable that Washington plays bad this series. We've matched up well against them for the most part.

Again, this isn't about us having a good chance because we clearly don't but let's not get into that this is impossible. There is a chance but a lot of things have to go right to have that chance... which is what happens to underdogs when they win.

Last edited:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Wanted to make a trip to DC but I can't get away from work right now, anyone planning on invading their barn? it would be nice to see some blue and white in the crowd. It's a fun city they've got some great museums that are all free.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think if the Leafs could pull out a couple wins it would be considered a achievement for this young group against the Cup favourites.

Playing with house money right now so nothing to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad