Pre-Game Talk: Playoff Preview: Washington Capitals (1st Metro) v Toronto Maple Leafs (2nd WildCard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Playoff Preview: Washington Capitals (#1st Metro) vs Toronto Maple Leafs (#2nd Wild Card)

Theme of the Series:

Fortune favours the Bold- and boy do we have to be bold to get some fortune to get past the Washington Capitals - holders of the President's Trophy and seen as the favourite to win the cup.

History Lesson:

The Leafs and the Washington Capitals haven't played vs each other during the hay-day of the Leafs. or the Hay day of the Capitals. I'm sure they played each other sometime previously before but it's nothing so important that we have any real connection/emotion to that series. - Edited to add: apparently the Leafs and Capitals have NEVER faced each other in the playoffs. Playoff Matchup Virgins!

So no demons to slay or anything just. Hey Washington, please don't kill us too hard. (or Washington, watch us shock you out of the playoffs the first round - pick your poison eh?)

Washington Capitals:
How they got here:

Record: 55-18-8 (President's Trophy Winner)
Goals For: 261 (with a GF/GP of 3.22 average)
Goals Against: 175 (wtih a GA/GP of 2.16 average)
PowerPlay: 23.3% (3rd overall)
Penalty Kill: 84.1% (6th overall)
Faceoffs: 51.1% (10th overall)
Shots For: 30.3 (16th overall)
Shots Against: 27.9 (27th overall)

Lethal. They don't take that many shots - but they can kill you with the ones they do take, and they don't allow a lot of shots - so you better make the ones you make count. Trotz has this team as a regular season well-tuned machine, and it showed for the second year of the row.

Toronto Maple Leafs:
How they got here:

Record: 40 - 27 - 15
Goals For: 248 (with a GF/GP of 3.06 average)
Goals Against: 231 (wtih a GA/GP of 2.85 average)
PowerPlay: 24.2% (2nd overall)
Penalty Kill: 82.3% (9th overall)
Faceoffs: 49.8% (16th overall)
Shots For: 31.9 (4th overall)
Shots Against: 32.6 (4th overall)

From the First day of the Season it was obvious that the Leafs were going to be able to generate a lot of firepower, but I don't think anyone was prepared specifically how much firepower that would be. The Trinity (Marner, Nylander and Matthews) are only the second set of 3 rookies to have over 60 points in an NHL season. almost half the goals scored have been assisted (or scored) by a rookie - which is easy to imagine when you consider the Leafs had eight playing every night. but the offense is balance. Their main issue at times is that defensively, things can tend to be interesting - especially when the team gets overwhelmed and tired. A key factor is that the Leafs (early on) had the penchant to blowing leads though this has lessened as late.

Head to Head
I had this really cool numerical thing - but it basically all says the same thing. Washington is better than Toronto in every facet. Goal scoring and defense. While we had Holtby's number the two times we faced him, thinking that will happen during the playoffs is fool-hardy. The Leafs will significantly have to buckle down defensively to get a game or two (let alone four) out of Washington.

Washington's Key Factor

Alex_Ovechkin_Alarm_Clock.jpg

This is the last chance for Ovy, I'd imagine. It's not about the first round for him - it's the second. So he would be focused to make sure this series ended as quickly as possible - less stress, less wear and tear and focus and get ready for Pittsburgh. Everyone agrees that should Washington fail to get out of the 2nd round. (AGAIN) - this team will be blown up and it's very unlikely Ovy will have another chance.

And it's Ovechkin. even without that stress on his head, hello. He's super physical, (sometimes dirty) he can kill you on the powerplay (both scoring - and just being Ovy on the point). Andersen will have to be extra special good to cope with Driven Ovy

Toronto's Key Factor

620-jvr-thumb-620xauto-336335.jpg

It will surprise everyone that it is JVR and not one of the Trinity (which is a given and i'll get to them) or Andersen who is my Key Factor. But JVR's playoff stats are insane, and outside of Boyle and Polak, is one of the only few on this team that has known hockey this time of year - past the first round. He's also a ppg or very close to it in the playoffs. He will be looked to the most, I would be to make a significant impact for this team. I'd also say that this right here would determine if JVR will be a Leaf past next year.

Jake Gardiner also had an amazing playoff series the last (and only) time the Leafs were there. He might be able to channel that.

But it will also be Matthews-Nylander-Marner headed monster of offense (Nylander + marner for powerplay dominance), Matthews for ES, and Andersen in net that will see if we make the 2nd round for the first time in 15 years.

It will take a miracle to advance - if we go by stats and numbers alone. but the kids have shown they've been capable of some magic. So. let's enjoy where we go from here.

(sigh. my Ottawa Senators one was so much nicer).

Last edited:

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Posted this in the GDT.

If we do have to make a tough decision on D with a injury or two, I've been saying for awhile that Dermott is good enough to step in right now and handle bottom pairing minutes. I understand that the plan was always going to be him spending the full year in the AHL but if they really are put up with the option of him vs some spare part (Marchenko, Marincin etc) they should bring up Dermott.

His skating ability and hockeysense would allow him to play at a decent level right away and I think would suprise some how steady his game can be.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Didn't have much faith in the team Daisy? :laugh:

LOL i had two written up. I had this amazing Ottawa Senators one and everything because I honestly thought we'd get the point. then i thought, you know - i really should have a washington one just in case.

I honestly think - this is a blessing for the team in the long run.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
I will be happy if they push it to 6. Caps always choke but it's usually against a veteran team like a Pittsburgh or a New York. We are too inexperienced.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
LOL i had two written up. I had this amazing Ottawa Senators one and everything because I honestly thought we'd get the point. then i thought, you know - i really should have a washington one just in case.

I honestly think - this is a blessing for the team in the long run.

can we still see the Ottawa one?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well....this will be fun.

No really. In a sense better than playing Ottawa. If by some crazy development we lost to them...what would the team really have learned? Win or lose the Leafs get more out of playing Washington. Oh sure, Battle of Ontario would be nice. But there will be a future for that.

Luckily the playoffs are a new season so the weak last week of the season for the Leafs can be tossed aside. It's all about Washington now. It'll be a hard challenge. But if the Leafs can do something...it'll mean more than overcoming Ottawa again.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I'd be shocked if they even make this series competitive. Short of Andersen going full Halak against them, this will be pretty quick series I'd imagine. But they play the games on the ice and not on paper, so go Leafs go!

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
If we can find ourselves down 3-1 in the series we have the Caps right where we want them.

**** it. Leafs in 4.

mrJT

Mar 4, 2013
Toronto
Bring em on!

Nothing to lose, only learning experiences!

We play the underdogs well all season, let's keep it up in the Playoffs Baby!!

Leafs in 7

Go Leafs Go!!!!!

Last edited:

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Heavy team, loose whistles, yeah...

Really played themselves into a tough matchup.

Lets see how the kids stack up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad