Pre-Game Talk: Playoff Preview: Washington Capitals (1st Metro) v Toronto Maple Leafs (2nd WildCard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While obviously the Caps are the clear favourites here this thread is getting a bit ridiculous- especially since the more "negative" posters have been wrong about just about everything all season - from rookie scoring rates to where the leafs would finish in the standings

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I do wonder if Levio gets injected into the lineup later in the series to add more scoring depth to the team if things go wrong in the first couple games

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yup 7 years ago Washington was upset by a team that finished > 20 points difference in the standings, so it happens but not often.

If it happened often, the word underdogs wouldn't exist right now.

I'm aiming at the wording that we don't have a chance. While we don't have good odds, there's a small chance we could surprise if a few things go our way.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I don't think our playoffs are solely determined on one player on the roster.

They are when that player is being replaced by Marincin. I'm a huge leaf fan and I'm excited about the future but in this series the Leafs R toast. Zaitsev isn't coming back.

Do you seriously believe that Polak, Hunwick, Marincin and Carrick playing 15-20 regular minutes can get the leafs past Ovie, Kuznetsov, Backstrom and the president trophy winning Caps with Orlov, Shattenkirk, Carlson, Niskanen, Alzner?

That's AHL tweeners vs NHL stars. It's a joke.

Matthews and company will have to score 7 goals just to win a single game.

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
They are when that player is being replaced by Marincin. I'm a huge leaf fan and I'm excited about the future but in this series the Leafs R toast. Zaitsev isn't coming back.

Do you seriously believe that Polak, Hunwick, Marincin and Carrick playing 15-20 regular minutes can get the leafs past Ovie, Kuznetsov, Backstrom and the president trophy winning Caps with Orlov, Shattenkirk, Carlson, Niskanen, Alzner?

That's AHL tweeners vs NHL stars. It's a joke.

Matthews and company will have to score 7 goals just to win a single game.

You're kidding right?

Sure our defense isn't great, but Polak and Hunwick will do fine, Carrick hopefully along with Gardiner and Rielly can up their game. Marincin isn't replacing Zaitsev, he's going to be on the bottom pair seeing the least amount of ice.

Have some faith in your team. Your pessimism(not realism, realistically we still have a chance here) is showing, and for a Leafs fan on a season you should be excited about already...that's just a shame.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
While obviously the Caps are the clear favourites here this thread is getting a bit ridiculous- especially since the more "negative" posters have been wrong about just about everything all season - from rookie scoring rates to where the leafs would finish in the standings

Pretty much. :laugh:

I'm still surprised half of our rookies are alive. I was told they would probably all die from hit related injuries.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Pretty much. :laugh:

I'm still surprised half of our rookies are alive. I was told they would probably all die from hit related injuries.

What ever happened to that guy that said Marner would get a career ending ankle injury.:laugh:

That was my favourite and I can't even remember his username.

Last edited:

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
For those who missed it:

John Tory: Just in time for the @MapleLeafs first playoff game, signed the proclamation for Thursday to be Blue and White Day in Toronto.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
This is going to be a huge slug fest! We gon smack these fools real hard! On the ground, imagine how key kadri, boyle, polak and komarov will be... damn man. They are tough. Hyman can play the game too. We got some rock solid guys like Matt Martin back there too. We can play the dirty dirt game alright. That might decide some game. I hope we can make a miracle on ice. Our defense will be tested real hard without the key zaitsev. He is a great hockey player. Reilly must play his best game ever tomorrow guaranteed I guarantee it.

Im convinced

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
You're kidding right?

Sure our defense isn't great, but Polak and Hunwick will do fine, Carrick hopefully along with Gardiner and Rielly can up their game. Marincin isn't replacing Zaitsev, he's going to be on the bottom pair seeing the least amount of ice.

Have some faith in your team. Your pessimism(not realism, realistically we still have a chance here) is showing, and for a Leafs fan on a season you should be excited about already...that's just a shame.

The ONLY chance the leafs have to win even a single game is if the caps take them too lightly and choke under pressure. In other words if the leafs win it's because the caps can't perform in the playoffs. The matchup between the Caps #1D and the Leafs #23D isn't close.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Leafs Win Game 1
Caps Win Game 2
Leafs Win Game 3
Leafs Win Game 4
Caps Win Game 5
Leafs Win Game 6

I say Leafs win Game 1 pretty easily 5-2
I can just see our team has this extra gear in the playoffs that Washington lacks

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What ever happened to that guy that said Marner would get a career ending ankle injury.:laugh:

That was my favourite and I can't even remember his username.

Marlander I wanna say? That dude had a massive hate for Marner and disappeared rather quickly.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The ONLY chance the leafs have to win even a single game is if the caps take them too lightly and choke under pressure. In other words if the leafs win it's because the caps can't perform in the playoffs. The matchup between the Caps #1D and the Leafs #23D isn't close.

Lol.

So even if the Leafs win the series it won't be because of their hard work and merit? Ok.

IcedTwoTimer

Sep 10, 2010
Leafs Win Game 1
Caps Win Game 2
Leafs Win Game 3
Leafs Win Game 4
Caps Win Game 5
Leafs Win Game 6

I say Leafs win Game 1 pretty easily 5-2
I can just see our team has this extra gear in the playoffs that Washington lacks

As unlikely as I see this happening, would be amazing if it came true.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Honestly sometimes can't tell the difference between the main boards and the Leafs board with the way some posters talk on here :laugh:

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Oh look the "realists" are out in full force.

"Bottom 5 team"
"Leafs will have 1-2 50 point players"
"Marner will be lucky to top 30 points"
"Matthews might break 50 points"
"Marner will be dead by game 20"
"Nylander is too soft to succeed"

This list goes on.

You'd think they'd learn....

Then again, I don't believe they're actually fans of the Leafs.

IcedTwoTimer

Sep 10, 2010
Honestly sometimes can't tell the difference between the main boards and the Leafs board with the way some posters talk on here :laugh:

Hah - a fellow KWer.

Well, when you consider the fact that fanbases hate the Leafs and the leafs are underdogs couldn't expect much different on main boards.

As for our own board. We are definitely an underdog so I don't think its too overblown although some people are a bit crazy with their opinions (in my opinion haha). I call forwards about a push, coaching a push (maybe a bit in our favour), goaltending slightly in their favour (don't think we will lose because of goaltending - we can score). It's our defense thats definitely outmached. That plus the classic leaf fan fatalism and that's probably why we are where we are. Best guess is WASH in six if we can get Zaitsev back early, otherwise I'd say five.

But they could win, just unlikely.
That been said... leafs for the sweep

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is it just Zaitsev that is currently unavailable? Soshnikov/Leivo still hurt?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I do wonder if Levio gets injected into the lineup later in the series to add more scoring depth to the team if things go wrong in the first couple games

I doubt that Babcock will do anything dramatic. He might put Leivo on the 4th line line instead of Kap (but I doubt that will even happen).

If it were me, I would consider using Leivo, Kap, and Sosh and just sit Martin and Hyman.

Leivo might end up being another Clarke MacArthur situation... where he sits for the first few playoff games, then scores two goals on the 4th line when he gets inserted back into the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad