GWT: PL Matchweek “25”

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah and Mr. wind never says anything stupid. But that's neither here nor there. You're hate for Pep is well documented. Im just making the same stupid analogy you did with Conte. Superior manager and boom automatic top 4. How long did Klopp need to cement his place at LFC. Giving Conte 7 months to weave his magic otherwise its a travesty seems dumb.
I didn’t say that. And if you can produce me hating Pep, please do so.

I mean if you look at the recent PL history, it’s generally the best managers that are occupying the top four. Do you disagree?

Klopp was competing for silverware as soon as his first season.

And 7 months for Conte is fair considering that’s about 50% of his contract length. Tottenham wanted the quick fix. They were 100% expecting immediate results. In Conte’s own words:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Its well documented so I dont need to do anything.

NOt all the time sometimes they finish 8th like Klopp did his first season with LFC. Which accounts for 1/3 of this contract. THe season after that he narrowly made top 4 by a single point.

If you want to crown Spurs as the next dynasty go for it but this is nonsense.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Soucek offers nothing in the buildup and it's a huge issue for the West Ham attack.

Cresswell has had a nightmare and directly responsible for both goals against today.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Again, why not?

They have the best manager, the two best forwards, arguably the best CB and they invested in January. That’s usually the recipe that you want. If they don’t get 4th it’s an indictment. It’s not an aw shucks we are Spursy.
Two best forwards in the PL? The best CB in the PL? Are you talking about Tottenham Hotspur here?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Its well documented so I dont need to do anything.

NOt all the time sometimes they finish 8th like Klopp did his first season with LFC. Which accounts for 1/3 of this contract. THe season after that he narrowly made top 4 by a single point.

If you want to crown Spurs as the next dynasty go for it but this is nonsense.
Prove that I said it. I don’t think I’ve ever said anything hating Pep other than him crying poor. Don’t think rating Klopp higher qualifies as hating.

Finished 8th with a horrible roster that he took to two cup finals!

And yeah got back into the Champions League in his first full season in charge. Not too shabby.

Again never said Spurs were a dynasty. Just said they should have no excuse not to finish fourth.

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Oh meant West Ham in 4th !
They've slowed down like crazy. The hot starts for Antonio and Benrahma are long gone, Bowen's uptick can't cover for both of those guys doing nothing.

Really the downswing started with Ogbonna's injury. That was the beginning of the end.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
I take it again. Chelsea are in that race also so there are two spots to fight for. 4th isn’t the magic number here.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
4th place is ultimately going to be decided by which teams bottles it the least.

I look at Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham and I'm reminded of the old Napoleonic maxim that victory goes to the general who makes the fewest mistakes. I don't think "bottling" is the appropriate term since WHU are massively overachieving and the other three teams are all deeply flawed.

Bottling would be Man City not winning the league.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Prove that I said it. I don’t think I’ve ever said anything hating Pep other than him crying poor. Don’t think rating Klopp higher qualifies as hating.

Finished 8th with a horrible roster that he took to two cup finals!

And yeah got back into the Champions League in his first full season in charge. Not too shabby.

Again never said Spurs were a dynasty. Just said they should have no excuse not to finish fourth.
So having the best coach doesn't automatically guarantee you finish in the top 4... sometimes you dont even qualify for the conference league? Ok good just checking.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So having the best coach doesn't automatically guarantee you finish in the top 4... sometimes you dont even qualify for the conference league? Ok good just checking.
I mean there wasn’t even such a thing as the conference league back then. I think it’s fair to say Klopp took a team much worse than Tottenham’s current team to two cup finals the season they finished 8th (and were sacrificing in the league for better rosters in the cups); and that isn’t nothing.

But yeah do some research and you tell me how many times in the last five years or so that the top managers weren’t repressed in the top four of the PL, Leicester aside. It may not be 100% but it surely does help and there surely is a correlation.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean there wasn’t even such a thing as the conference league back then.

But yeah do some research and you tell me how many times in the last five years or so that the top managers weren’t repressed in the top four of the PL, Leicester aside. It may not be 100% but it surely does help and there surely is a correlation.
I know that’s the joke and was it considered a major upset that lfc didn’t make top 4. You clearly have a hard on for spurs so not sure why I bother. Just know you’re coming off as a joke.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I know that’s the joke and was it considered a major upset that lfc didn’t make top 4. You clearly have a hard on for spurs so not sure why I bother. Just know you’re coming off as a joke.
Not at all. I’m still waiting for a tangible reason that any of my points are wrong other than “everyone is bad” which is bologna. If you want to play popularity contest go ahead, but I stand by it. The team with the best manager and the best talent should finish higher than the other teams it is competing with. It’s not rocket science.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Conte is a quick fix? If you are a club like Spurs you hire Conte. Not because he is a quick fix, but because he is by far the best you can get.

Can he “fix” Spurs? Time will tell. Very few managers succeed at every club. But Conte will have a shot as good as any other. And Spurs have been hovering around 60 points for years now. Some months with Conte and this was all going to be amazing? Not denying that the last two have been disappointing, but this was never going to be a linear thing just going up up up and up.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Conte is a quick fix? If you are a club like Spurs you hire Conte. Not because he is a quick fix, but because he is by far the best you can get.

Can he “fix” Spurs? Time will tell. Very few managers succeed at every club. But Conte will have a shot as good as any other. And Spurs have been hovering around 60 points for years now. Some months with Conte and this was all going to be amazing? Not denying that the last two have been disappointing, but this was never going to be a linear thing just going up up up and up.
It’s a quick fix because y’all gave him an 18 month deal. How is that not a quick fix? Or at least setting up the expectations of a quick fix? You don’t get Conte on an 18 month deal to consolidate at reload.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad