Pittsburgh Media Thread - The worst of the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
And he brings in Dale Lolley. I mean, ok yeah he’s been around for a while and people may have heard of him. But I can’t imagine Lolley is bringing throngs of fans over to sign up for DK now.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I can't even imagine how DK's ego is handling this news today. I'm gonna take a guess and say not well

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
What I find funny are the people on Twitter who bash the people who left DK for the Athletic like they are greedy. It's no different than you or I leaving a job for another one that offers more in terms of money/career. I wonder if they sit there and curse at their co-workers under their breath if they leave for another job.

Last edited:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
What I find funny are the people on Twitter who bash the people who left DK for the Athletic like they are greedy. It's no different than you or I leaving a job for another one that offers more in terms of money/career. I wonder if they sit there and curse at their co-workers under their breath if they leave for another job.
of course they do

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Or leaving for another job where the boss isn't a toxic shit-heel.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Probably not the best look for them....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/sports/the-athletic-newspapers.html

“We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing,” Alex Mather, a co-founder of The Athletic, said in an interview in San Francisco. “We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them."

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
seems pretty accurate though, everyone likes to say 'its a business' but isnt that what business looks like?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Probably not the best look for them....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/sports/the-athletic-newspapers.html

“We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing,” Alex Mather, a co-founder of The Athletic, said in an interview in San Francisco. “We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them."

Probably not great PR, but he's right and it's smart business strategy.

Reactions: billybudd

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
It's business but most will die out anyway.

Also DK Rt'd this;

It's clear he is hurt by the Athletic taking Kaboly and Yohe.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wholly agree.

It's just weird to see someone like that come straight out and be that blunt about it and I'm sure it's going to ruffle some writers/customers the wrong way.
Reminds me of when the creators of that bodega vending machine thing came out and said they wanted to put bodegas out of business.

Just not something you say.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
DK seems more obsessed with attacking The Athletic on twitter than he does talking about actual sports.

He's like an ex girlfriend who stalks the new girlfriend's instagram/Facebook to comment on how fat she looks in all her pictures.

Reactions: Shady Machine

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Probably not a lot of Athletic subscribers, but I figured I would give it a shot, and the best thing about it are Jesse's columns. He did one on Dumo's gap control from last night with video, really awesome. Dumo is a really smart, smooth D man.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Probably not a lot of Athletic subscribers, but I figured I would give it a shot, and the best thing about it are Jesse's columns. He did one on Dumo's gap control from last night with video, really awesome. Dumo is a really smart, smooth D man.

You know.. a bunch of us get crushed for praising Dumo and the stat watchers just point to no goals/assists. This is the type of hockey talk we need. Thank you, @Jesse . That's such an underrated facet of the game.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
DK seems more obsessed with attacking The Athletic on twitter than he does talking about actual sports.

He's like an ex girlfriend who stalks the new girlfriend's instagram/Facebook to comment on how fat she looks in all her pictures.

They're an existential threat to him. It's no different than a guy with a local electronics store seething over Best Buy a generation ago--or Best Buy seething over Amazon now.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Hell, hate DK all you want, but he's got a point there. And if you're supporting the Athletic because you want high-quality journalism, their approach is going to provide the exact opposite.

f***, this sucks because I was actually kinda liking the Athletic before this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad