Player Discussion Philip Broberg - Berries are brewing

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Good performance against a strong team. Kid's coming along nicely.

20221210_114055.jpg

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Strudwick and Rishaug touch on Broberg and the Bouchard Broberg pairing in their podcast. I've got all day for Strudwick's analysis backed by his professional experience and post-retirement work as a skills coach.

I'd like to look at the deployment last night but per their podcast I too thought Bouchard Broberg were getting some work with McDavid Draisaitl Hymen stack line. What stood out for me though was coach's decision to play this young d pair some PK minutes in a tight game against a team that's absolutely owned the Oilers.

Worth a watch:

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
His acceleration from standstill is pretty impressive and has allowed him to get back to centre ice/his own neutral zone a few times to mitigate rushes going the other way. His gap control is pretty good, as well.

Once he gains enough trust, I imagine his offensive production will start to increase.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Personally I'm happy for the kid.

However, as I mentioned in the trade thread I don't know I trust him and Bouchard yet come playoff time. It's a different beast and him playing well probably leads to Kenny ignoring adding a piece to the back end that could help make it more rounded.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Broberg looks way better than Klefbom did at the same age.

It's hard to say, Klefbom's first real full season was 14-15 and that Oiler team was trash, that's the year they bombed to win McLottery with Eakins coaching most of the season, no McDavid obviously, and Draisaitl didn't really play (I mean I think they tried to force him in, but he was totally not ready).

15-16, Klefbom you could see was basically the Oilers no.1 D already by that point (McDavid's rookie season) and the team was trending up and winning even with McDavid's collarbone injury, but then Klef got that random ass staph infection on his foot and basically his season was over and the team went into the tank.

I still do wonder how different things would be if McDavid didn't get hurt on that dirty ass play by Manning (loser) and Klefbom didn't get that random staph infection ... I think that team would've finished a lot better in the standings.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Opponents attempting to gain zone or dump pucks in when Broberg is on the ice:

Forget about it.jpg

All jokes aside, I can't believe kid's only 21 getting back for pucks so quick and going through his progressions/scanning the ice for quick zone exits at a high rate. Right now, him and Bouchard are preventing tire fires and allowing for scoring opportunities to develop. Against 3rd and 4th line for the time being, but that's still huge accomplishment against a team like Tamba Bay.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Opponents attempting to gain zone or dump pucks in when Broberg is on the ice:

View attachment 638774

All jokes aside, I can't believe kid's only 21 getting back for pucks so quick and going through his progressions/scanning the ice for quick zone exits at a high rate. Right now, him and Bouchard are preventing tire fires and allowing for scoring opportunities to develop. Against 3rd and 4th line for the time being, but that's still huge accomplishment against a team like Tamba Bay.
His zone exits are tremendous, they are so accurate and composed.

independent observer

Apr 9, 2023
Hey guys, what is your take on Broberg?

I was pretty sure that Broberg was set for an increased role next year. Replacing Kulak in order to create some cap space…

However, given his sheltered current role in the playoffs it appears Woodie doesn‘t have a great deal of confidence in him. It‘s certainly also not beneficial for his developement because young players need to play… no wonder his developement has been stalling…

So what do you think about him and his role with the Oilers next season?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hey guys, what is your take on Broberg?

I was pretty sure that Broberg was set for an increased role next year. Replacing Kulak in order to create some cap space…

However, given his sheltered current role in the playoffs it appears Woodie doesn‘t have a great deal of confidence in him. It‘s certainly also not beneficial for his developement because young players need to play… no wonder his developement has been stalling…

So what do you think about him and his role with the Oilers next season?
I dont see his development stalling at all. Not sure what you're seeing there.
A sheltered role is exactly what he should be getting in the playoffs. Rushing him would be a mistake.

He is growing as a player but not quite ready to replace Kulak who I dont think gets his due respect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad