Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
For Penguins fans... the 2003 draft is the one where they got Marc-Andre Fleury.

<3 <3 <3
Redraft:

2003: Eric Staal
2004: Evgeni Malkin
2005: Sidney Crosby
2006: Jonathan Toews

Wings, defense, and goal would still have been a mess but man our center stretch would have been monsterous.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
6, but weigh less than Guentzel.
will improve as he gets stronger
He's not a great skater. He's not a bad skater, but it's not a top skill. Big difference between outskating WHL defensemen and AHL or NHL players.
should improve as he gets stronger
Possession and playdriving are essential to success in today's NHL. He doesn't score in the dirty areas. He's offensive attack is very perimeter. Goes well in the WHL when you have Firkus and Savoie and Mateychuk helping out.
will improve as he gets stronger.
seems to be a running theme.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yager’s fast as f*** in a straight line. Especially once he gets going. Not really sure agility is more than average and have never really seen him explode off his edges. I’d def give his skating a 6-8 out of 10 if 5 is NHL average.

Hands his worst physical/tangible “tool” imo.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
6, but weigh less than Guentzel.

He's not a great skater. He's not a bad skater, but it's not a top skill. Big difference between outskating WHL defensemen and AHL or NHL players.

Possession and playdriving are essential to success in today's NHL. He doesn't score in the dirty areas. He's offensive attack is very perimeter. Goes well in the WHL when you have Firkus and Savoie and Mateychuk helping out.
Are you actually comparing the weight of a 30yo Guentzel to 19yo Yager? Also, I don’t think you actually watch him play outside of youtube clips. He’s a great skater, and actual scouts agree. Just admit you have it out for the kid because to you Dubas is the antichrist. You have no problem hyping up your boy Hextall’s pick. How come?

k. good thing the NHL is a video game and we can just feed him vitamins and he'll level up.
No, it’s just the reality of 18-19yo prospects. I suggest you just stick to the salary cap thread because you are out to lunch with your prospect analysis.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Are you actually comparing the weight of a 30yo Guentzel to 19yo Yager? Also, I don’t think you actually watch him play outside of youtube clips. He’s a great skater, and actual scouts agree. Just admit you have it out for the kid because to you Dubas is the antichrist. You have no problem hyping up your boy Hextall’s pick. How come?

Not sure what you are talking about. Go read the majority of the draft profiles on him from 2023.

Also, never said he was a bad skater. Just that it's not a strong suit. Yager was the BPA when we selected him, I was onboard with us picking Yager unless Benson was available.

"I think there are a lock of 5 players with franchise ability IMO. I think those are obvious. Carlsson, Bedard, Michkov, Smith and Fantilli.

After that I have Benson, Yager, Cristall, Dvorsky as other franchise potential guys, but likely top line. After that I’m intrigued but not really sold on keeping our pick."

I haven't been totally sold on Yager though since watching his footage more since we've picked him.

I'm not sold at all on Pickering, but I trust Hextall's drafting process. Look at how it has rewarded the Flyers.

No, it’s just the reality of 18-19yo prospects. I suggest you just stick to the salary cap thread because you are out to lunch with your prospect analysis.

It's not, but okay.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Not sure what you are talking about. Go read the majority of the draft profiles on him from 2023.

Also, never said he was a bad skater. Just that it's not a strong suit. Yager was the BPA when we selected him, I was onboard with us picking Yager unless Benson was available.

"I think there are a lock of 5 players with franchise ability IMO. I think those are obvious. Carlsson, Bedard, Michkov, Smith and Fantilli.

After that I have Benson, Yager, Cristall, Dvorsky as other franchise potential guys, but likely top line. After that I’m intrigued but not really sold on keeping our pick."

I haven't been totally sold on Yager though since watching his footage more since we've picked him.

I'm not sold at all on Pickering, but I trust Hextall's drafting process. Look at how it has rewarded the Flyers.

It's not, but okay.
Actually majority of scouts say when he gets stronger, he will become even more explosive as a skater. When scouting prospects it’s not just about how many points they put up in juniors in regards to your infatuation with Firkus. It’s about how their skills/game will translate to the NHL and Yager without a doubt will translate better.

And it is the reality of teenage prospects to get bigger and stronger as they develop and age. Again, if Hextall made the Yager pick you wouldn’t be having this discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: DearDiary

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Actually majority of scouts say when he gets stronger, he will become even more explosive as a skater. When scouting prospects it’s not just about how many points they put up in juniors in regards to your infatuation with Firkus. It’s about how their skills/game will translate to the NHL and Yager without a doubt will translate better.

And it is the reality of teenage prospects to get bigger and stronger as they develop and age. Again, if Hextall made the Yager pick you wouldn’t be having this discussion.

“Overall, perhaps Yager’s best trait is how active he is all over the ice. Though he is not the best skater (his skating is average at best compared to the rest of his draft class) he does move his feet in all areas of the ice. ”

“Yager is a good skater overall. Looking at his straight-line speed, one can even say he is a great skater. When he builds up speed and really takes off, few players can truly keep up. However, those moments do not come very often. Yager does not have the best edge work, which impacts his ability to build up speed. Thus, his acceleration is impacted negatively.”

First two profiles I looked up basically said exactly what I’m saying.

Once again, I was advocating all year prior to Yager’s draft for us to take him. He’s a solid prospect. I thought he had potential to be a top line player in the NHL.

His season this year has not shaped that way at all. He’s not outshining the other players on his team. That’s fine. He still looks like a great pick given where we took him. He still looks like a top six winger with middle six C potential.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

“Overall, perhaps Yager’s best trait is how active he is all over the ice. Though he is not the best skater (his skating is average at best compared to the rest of his draft class) he does move his feet in all areas of the ice. ”

“Yager is a good skater overall. Looking at his straight-line speed, one can even say he is a great skater. When he builds up speed and really takes off, few players can truly keep up. However, those moments do not come very often. Yager does not have the best edge work, which impacts his ability to build up speed. Thus, his acceleration is impacted negatively.”

First two profiles I looked up basically said exactly what I’m saying.

Once again, I was advocating all year prior to Yager’s draft for us to take him. He’s a solid prospect. I thought he had potential to be a top line player in the NHL.

His season this year has not shaped that way at all. He’s not outshining the other players on his team. That’s fine. He still looks like a great pick given where we took him. He still looks like a top six winger with middle six C potential.
Those are some really big time heavy hitters in the professional scouting community you're quoting there.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
ok guy's drafting is not an exact science. it is possible for guys to see deferent things in a player they are watching. (i happen to like yager) as long as you don't start accusing me of being a racist and whatever else people want to call/cancel those that see things differently. thanks for the discussion.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Maybe I've just got an outdated view on scoring, but, man, if Yager consistently puts up 20+ goals per season for several years, I'd be quite happy with that.
I do feel like expecting north of 30 goals per season is just setting yourself up for disappointment, though. I mean, I'd take it, don't get me wrong, but there were a total of 47 players in the entire NHL who scored 30+ goals this past season. By way of comparison, there are 192 "top six forward" roster spots in the NHL.

Reactions: Gurglesons

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Maybe I've just got an outdated view on scoring, but, man, if Yager consistently puts up 20+ goals per season for several years, I'd be quite happy with that.
I do feel like expecting north of 30 goals per season is just setting yourself up for disappointment, though. I mean, I'd take it, don't get me wrong, but there were a total of 47 players in the entire NHL who scored 30+ goals this past season. By way of comparison, there are 192 "top six forward" roster spots in the NHL.
that's the thing with yager. everyone sees his upside differently I view it much higher than some. the big question is will he reach it. his biggest need as I see it is he needs to get stronger, will/can he do it? I'm a little less sure than I was in his draft year. (he didn't put on as much weight as i was hoping) but he still has lots of time to do it. imo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ya he’s third in goals and 4th in points. Everybody is older above him.

He also is having a much better season than guys drafted higher than him like Danielson

Points are important but so is how you produce them.

Watch a MJ game and tell me Yager is driving play. It doesn’t mean he is a bad prospect. Just that he at point was viewed as a top 5 guy in this draft and every year he is kind of proving why he isn’t. WJC was another example of it. He was 2nd in points I think for Canada but honestly was invisible the entire tournament.

Nothing wrong with getting a top six guy who needs another piece to drive his game at 14th overall.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007

If Yager could be a 20 goal scorer consistently, that would be a huge win. People tend to overrate draft picks, even this high. History would suggest that players picked around 14th are most likely to be middle of the lineup guys. A few busts and a few stars, but mostly middle of the road guys and depth guys. Here are picks 13-15 from 2015-2020. I don't know much about Yager, but if he could turn into a Debrusk/Farabee quality player that would be a good outcome.

Zboril (Depth)
Debrusk (Top six forward)
Senyshyn (Bust)
Bean (Depth)
Mcavoy (Star)
Kunin (Depth)
Suzuki (Star)
Foote (Bust)
Brannstrom (Depth)
Dellandrea (Depth)
Farabee (Top 6 forward)
Denisenko (Busting)
Knight (TBD)
York (Top 4 D)
Caufield (Top 6 forward/Star)
Jarvis (Top 6 forward/Star)
Holloway (TBD)
Amirov

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Watch a MJ game and tell me Yager is driving play. It doesn’t mean he is a bad prospect. Just that he at point was viewed as a top 5 guy in this draft and every year he is kind of proving why he isn’t. WJC was another example of it. He was 2nd in points I think for Canada but honestly was invisible the entire tournament.

Nothing wrong with getting a top six guy who needs another piece to drive his game at 14th overall.

I’m not exactly disagreeing. I’m just saying he is developing fine and having a good year. There is no reason not to be excited about him as a prospect.

i understand your tempering expectations but sometimes it comes across as belittling him as a prospect. Firkus doesn’t need to be mentioned every time someone post a Yager update.

Reactions: Kasperi kapanen

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If Yager could be a 20 goal scorer consistently, that would be a huge win. People tend to overrate draft picks, even this high. History would suggest that players picked around 14th are most likely to be middle of the lineup guys. A few busts and a few stars, but mostly middle of the road guys and depth guys. Here are picks 13-15 from 2015-2020. I don't know much about Yager, but if he could turn into a Debrusk/Farabee quality player that would be a good outcome.

Zboril (Depth)
Debrusk (Top six forward)
Senyshyn (Bust)
Bean (Depth)
Mcavoy (Star)
Kunin (Depth)
Suzuki (Star)
Foote (Bust)
Brannstrom (Depth)
Dellandrea (Depth)
Farabee (Top 6 forward)
Denisenko (Busting)
Knight (TBD)
York (Top 4 D)
Caufield (Top 6 forward/Star)
Jarvis (Top 6 forward/Star)
Holloway (TBD)
Amirov

Yeah it would be incredible to get a 25 -25 guy out of Yager.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

what is your definition of a play driver? the guy who carries the puck up the ice or the guy that headman's the puck to a teammate that's further up the ice than he is? cause I tend to see one as a puck hog and the other as a team player. but both could be said to be driving the play.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Getting a top six guy at all out of a 14th overall is pretty good, yeah.

edit: Well @Gumbercules made the point a few posts up yeah. the players taken at 14th overall historically haven't been super impactful

Last edited:

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Jagger Firkus had more points than Yager, Musty, Dvorsky, Danielson, etc. Does that mean he is a better prospect and so called “play driver” like someone is referring? I mean honestly cmon why are we having this convo with a guy who publicly hates when Dubas takes a shit.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Also, if you project Yager as a 25g/60point player that’s fine, but is totally different than saying he has potential to be a 25g/60point player because his potential is way higher. Potential and projection are not the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad