Player Discussion Philip Broberg - Berries are brewing

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Bouchard hasn’t ‘outperformed’ anyone let alone Barrie.
Bouchard is so frustrating. He is so close yet so far to being an absolute stud.

Although we are chalk full of frustrating players right now and pretty much the reason we have not taken the next step......Puli, Yamo, Bouch have all had pretty terrible years.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Bouchard is so frustrating. He is so close yet so far to being an absolute stud.

Although we are chalk full of frustrating players right now and pretty much the reason we have not taken the next step......Puli, Yamo, Bouch have all had pretty terrible years.
Pulju and Yamamoto are what they are. I got some new hope on Pulju thou'. Yamamoto, I dont know.

Pulju and Yamamoto are what they are. I got some new hope on Pulju thou'. Yamamoto, I dont know.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
What's the word on how Broberg has played in the NHL so far this season? I haven't been able to watch many games.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
What's the word on how Broberg has played in the NHL so far this season? I haven't been able to watch many games.
I'm a big fan of his, but I think he's looked pretty good. He still lacks confidence offensively, so he hasn't had too many standout plays. But defensively he seems a lot better than he looked last season. Still makes the odd mistake though. Him and Bouchard seem to move the puck out of the zone pretty quickly, which I like.

Personally, I think he's going to stick. But we'll see.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He's been steady defensively. Some mistakes sure and needs to be more physical. That is to be expected. Offensively, he's been quietly gaining more confidence. He's making safe, good pinches and he works well with Bouchard. He's gaining confidence. All he needs now is experience. He will stick in the NHL. He reminds me some of Hampus Lindholm.

I am very excited about Broberg. With Bouchard, this could be a legitimate top pairing

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
The thing that has stood out the most to me so far is how much better he seems at holding the puck at the line/breaking up clearing attempts than most of our other defensemen to extend offensive zone possession. Also seems pretty good at knowing where to send the puck and when to pinch/when to fall back to make himself a passing option. He's not some 0 hockey iq dumdum that some posters claim he is. He definitely has an idea of what he's supposed to be doing and where he's supposed to be (at least offensively). He still has some brainfarts in terms of decision making but what young player doesn't, as long as he grows into his man strength and keeps developing well I can see him being a solid two-way top 4 dman down the line.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
A polarizing prospect with many entrenched opinions on this work-in-progress.

Now second year North American pro, it's strange to think Broberg is still the youngest d in Bako - a year younger than Kesselring.

His age 20 Bakersfield rookie year was viewed very positively for the most part with reported all situational play and top pairing minutes in the 22-24 toi range. Decent PP results but he's not projected to be a power play QB at the next level rather a quality two-way defender with enough utility to play PK and some support PP minutes.

He got NHL call-up time two months into North American debut with a massive injury run on Oilers d. Through necessity and confidence in him, Broberg wheeled a 23:34 TOI in Vegas four games into his initial recall.

His extended late season call up saw a more managed low minute deployment by Woodcroft who also cut down Bouchard's minutes as the stretch drive Oil leaned on veteran D. Still Broberg pushed out at 23:34 TOI game March 7 in a hostile Flamers rink and did it at RD showing his versatility.

Young D take a lot of time and experience to onboard at the NHL level. Broberg is like the overwhelming majority of young prospects a work-in-progress. However there were significant positive steps at the A and in small sample to reinforce this prospect's slow cook growth at a vital position of need in Edmonton.

This will never satisfy expectations of all fans.

Bakersfield Age 20
2021-22Bakersfield CondorsAHL3141923181430110

Bakersfield Scouting
AHL Coach Woody assessment at first NHL recall: Philip Broberg Will Have to Play Big Minutes

NHL First Recall (approx 2 months into N. America development
Home/AwayDateGamePointsIce Time+/-GoalieTeamO-zone starts
HNov 20Oilers 5 Hawks 21 A14:24+1SkinnerNurse out44.4% OZ
RNov 23Dallas 4
Oilers 1
018:59-2SkinnerNurse out, Keith 10 min15.4% OZ
RNov 24Oilers 5
Arizona 3
018:59-2SkinnerNurse, Keith out40% OZ
RNov 27Oilers 3 Vegas 2023:34-1KoskinenNurse, Keith out42.9% OZ
HDec 1Oilers 5 Pens 2013:07-1KoskinenNurse, Keith out60% OZ
RDec 3Kraken 4 Oilers 3012:20-1SkinnerNurse, Keith out100% OZ
HDec 5Kings 5 Oilers 1010:25-1KoskinenNurse back, Keith out14.3% OZ
HDec 7Wild 4 Oilers 1910:18-2KoskinenNurse, Keith return75% OZ

Home/AwayDateGamePointsIce Time+/-GoalieTeamO-zone starts
RMarch 7Flamers 3 Oilers 1022:34 incl. 2:09 PK0KoskinenBarrie hurt, Broberg at RDI Lost this stat

2021-22 Oiler Season: 23 GP, 3 PTS, -8, 13:28 TOI, 52.2% Corsi For
I remember they say 300 games in the NHL should be played before one can make a judgement on the d-man. Even Nurse was not getting good reviews in his first year and now he's clearly one of the best two way d-men in the league.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
He’s looking less and less lost. Made a good play to break the cycle tonight and I’ve found he’s always looking to stretch the ice. Made a couple of nice breakout passes as well.

He’s gotten better since his call up. Here’s to him continuing to improve. He’s still getting caught in awkward positions and getting manhandled so he needs to learn how to use some of that new muscle of his.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I remember they say 300 games in the NHL should be played before one can make a judgement on the d-man. Even Nurse was not getting good reviews in his first year and now he's clearly one of the best two way d-men in the league.
Absolutely. 300 NHL games is viewed by many management and scouting peeps as the benchmark. Broberg's two biggest challenges in adjusting to North American pro competition is the need to get stronger and the game reps, experience and confidence of playing against apex opposition that are fast, play a harder, physical game.

Woodcroft offered a reasonable take on Broberg and coaching him for most of his first year+ of North American development (about the 7:30 mark):

Rushing to judgement on age 21 professionals is premature. To do so with a defenseman of that age is laughable. Kid's gotta get a lot stronger but he has played above his peer group since about age 16-17 so this is a player who figures things out. Hard for fans to be patient with a team in mature phase of development expecting to compete for long playoff runs. Broberg's trying to onboard a speeding bullet train in so doing. That's on the organization ... not the kid. Patience is the hard reality.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Absolutely. 300 NHL games is viewed by many management and scouting peeps as the benchmark. Broberg's two biggest challenges in adjusting to North American pro competition is the need to get stronger and the game reps, experience and confidence of playing against apex opposition that are fast, play a harder, physical game.

Woodcroft offered a reasonable take on Broberg and coaching him for most of his first year+ of North American development (about the 7:30 mark):

Rushing to judgement on age 21 professionals is premature. To do so with a defenseman of that age is laughable. Kid's gotta get a lot stronger but he has played above his peer group since about age 16-17 so this is a player who figures things out. Hard for fans to be patient with a team in mature phase of development expecting to compete for long playoff runs. Broberg's trying to onboard a speeding bullet train in so doing. That's on the organization ... not the kid. Patience is the hard reality.

He doesn’t seem to particularly dangerous offensively. He hasn’t really ever had a particularly dangerous shot. Not sure if he can ever be a top flight 2-way guy. But otherwise, there is a lot there. I think he’s gonna be a very good 2nd pairing guy, or a “decent” but not gamebreaking top pairing guy. Not sure obviously, will be interesting to see if he can have a good offseason/camp/start next year, because it was a molasses start this year. Maybe he’ll be motivated and launched out of a cannon next time.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He doesn’t seem to particularly dangerous offensively. He hasn’t really ever had a particularly dangerous shot. Not sure if he can ever be a top flight 2-way guy. But otherwise, there is a lot there. I think he’s gonna be a very good 2nd pairing guy, or a “decent” but not gamebreaking top pairing guy. Not sure obviously, will be interesting to see if he can have a good offseason/camp/start next year, because it was a molasses start this year. Maybe he’ll be motivated and launched out of a cannon next time.
If he turns out close to Ekholm or like Lindholm, that would be great

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He did some OK things yesterday but that might be a by product of no one on the Oilers playing defence and him looking semi-decent by comparison.

Next to the two Habs young D ... Guhle and even Xhekaj though ... those guys looked way, way better than him.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
And he likely won't for a while at the NHL level. The core requirement of any young defenseman is to keep their head above water with their ability to defend. On a competitive team (with a mediocre d-corp) where he is being asked to onboard third pairing minutes being simple, responsible in his defending.

Broberg's shown more utility as expected in his AHL work where development of prospects trumps winning to some degree. In his big minutes development role it extends to both special teams. He's miscast if people expect some sort of offensive wizard, he projects as a long, two-way defender who will be a stable, responsible defender who can PK and add support minutes on PP. A solid puck transporter who will grow more components to his game as his experience and confidence grows against apex NHL competition. Veterans Barrie, a developing Bouchard and to some degree Nurse are the players expected to be the dangerous offensive d-men on this mature phase organization's goals for long playoff runs.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton

Down the road if his defensive game gets to a good spot at the NHL level having him paired with Bouchard. and leave Nurse with Ceci.

Nurse-Ceci
Broberg-Bouchard
Kulak-Barrie or replaced with a Physical shutdown RHD
Nemo?

Some would argue thats not good enough, which it is kind of lite. But with Nurse, McDavid, Draisaitl, Kane, Nuge, and Hyman's contracts to add to probably 4+ on Bouchard's extension and Mcleod/Skinner as well as solve the top six RW positions. There might still be cap issues, until we get a for sure on the cap jumping up the next few seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Tonight was probably his best game as an Oiler. He made lots of smart plays in his own end. Hopefully he can build on tonight's game.

He’s looking less and less lost. Made a good play to break the cycle tonight and I’ve found he’s always looking to stretch the ice. Made a couple of nice breakout passes as well.

He’s gotten better since his call up. Here’s to him continuing to improve. He’s still getting caught in awkward positions and getting manhandled so he needs to learn how to use some of that new muscle of his.

He did some OK things yesterday but that might be a by product of no one on the Oilers playing defence and him looking semi-decent by comparison.

Next to the two Habs young D ... Guhle and even Xhekaj though ... those guys looked way, way better than him.
Andy and Sound have the gist.

I would say he was unnoticeable in a good way yesterday. Also probably his best game but not sure why anyone keeps using this to describe him. His best nhl game to date but still doesn't look like a full time NHLER yet...

Way too early to pencil him in anywhere but if he can improve his defensive game he would in theroy make an excellent partner for Bouchard.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Chris Tanev and Matt Greene? Should have picked both of these players. Guhle over Holloway and Xhekaj with a 7th rounder. Something's not right.
punch-punching.gif

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Would a Broberg Barrie pairing be alright?

Nurse Kulak
Bouchard Ceci
Broberg Barrie

or

Nurse Broberg
Murray Ceci
Kulak Barrie/Bouchard

Holland need to trade for a LD. Now

Trade for an LD and play Broberg on his offside on the bottom pairing, IMO

Nurse - Bouchard (oof)
New LD - Ceci
Kulak - Broberg

I like Barrie but he’ll have to go for the cap for the new LD

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Nurse - Bouchard (oof)
New LD - Ceci
Kulak - Broberg

That right side unfortunately would get badly abused. Broberg is starting to settle in a bit and looked good in the Capital barrage but anticipating him to play his off-side and an erratic Bouchard elevated to first pairing D is not gonna get it done for a deep playoff expectant team!

This team needs an age 24-26 Broberg who has put in the reps and physically matured to help this team in second pairing. Alas, no Back to the Future DeLorean to help Holland out of this current dog's breakfast soft and in experienced as well d-corp.

Last edited:

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Nurse - Bouchard (oof)
New LD - Ceci
Kulak - Broberg

A new RD for Barrie.

Nurse Ceci
Broberg New RD
Kulak Bouchard.

But trading a RD for a RD wont happen.

It has to be a forward for a RD.

It probably has to be Pulju + pick (2nd pick?)for a D. Pulju has highest value.

Then trade Barrie for an equal overpaid 3rd liner. That could happen.

When everyone healthy, there is 12 forwards for the team. I like lineups, so I do it again

Nuge McDavid Hyman
Järnmark Draisaitl Kane
Fogele McLeod overpaid 3rd liner
Kostin Ryan Holloway/Yamamoto

Kostin was a good get.
Ryan and Yamamoto is the teams worst forwards if healthy, but at least Ryan can faceoff and PK. YAfter that if injuries it gets ugly though. Could Benson elevate to be a NHLer? Doubt it but there is small hope. Is then Shore the best of the rest?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
A new RD for Barrie.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a RD that's brought in, as you could always swap Kulak over to RD.

Truth be told, my ideal plan would be to shift Kulak over to RD and play him next to Nurse, and then target a solid and reliable, but not flashy top 4 LHD (who are always cheaper than RHD) to play with Ceci. For example, I like Holden in Ottawa for a cheap price, but guys like Dumoulin, and Gavrikov would be better fits. That let's you continue to run Broberg and Bouchard in a more sheltered environment.

Though I think the correct play is to move Barrie, and give Murray and Niemelainen a quick audition next to Ceci to see if they could handle the role. If not, then you go look outside the organisation. You could also try to run Murray with Nurse (after Ceci, Murray would probably be the best defensive partner he's had over the last 3 seasons. Wow that's a low bar...), which would let you run a stronger second pairing with Kulak and Ceci, and give Niemo a little more time in Bakersfield

Nurse-Murray
Kulak-Ceci
Broberg-Bouchard

Of course, the problem here is I don't trust Murray to last more than 10 games before getting hurt. So you'd basically be asking Niemo to step into a go-to defensive role with Ceci, and your defensive depth after that is zilch. That's a good way to end up over a barrel if an injury hits.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
It doesn't necessarily need to be a RD that's brought in, as you could always swap Kulak over to RD.

Truth be told, my ideal plan would be to shift Kulak over to RD and play him next to Nurse, and then target a solid and reliable, but not flashy top 4 LHD (who are always cheaper than RHD) to play with Ceci. For example, I like Holden in Ottawa for a cheap price, but guys like Dumoulin, and Gavrikov would be better fits. That let's you continue to run Broberg and Bouchard in a more sheltered environment.

Though I think the correct play is to move Barrie, and give Murray and Niemelainen a quick audition next to Ceci to see if they could handle the role. If not, then you go look outside the organisation. You could also try to run Murray with Nurse (after Ceci, Murray would probably be the best defensive partner he's had over the last 3 seasons. Wow that's a low bar...), which would let you run a stronger second pairing with Kulak and Ceci, and give Niemo a little more time in Bakersfield

Nurse-Murray
Kulak-Ceci
Broberg-Bouchard

Of course, the problem here is I don't trust Murray to last more than 10 games before getting hurt. So you'd basically be asking Niemo to step into a go-to defensive role with Ceci, and your defensive depth after that is zilch. That's a good way to end up over a barrel if an injury hits.
Yeah, Kulak over to RD could be a move, but they need LD anyhow.

Isnt Murray hampered in movement by injuries? I would play Murray 2nd pair.
Ceci, Kulak, Murray is the D backbone right now. I trust Broberg more than Barrie and Bouchard, so maybe Broberg could play with another one. I would like to see Kemp given a try at NHL as well.

Nurse - Kulak
Bouchard - Ceci
Broberg - Barrie with risk for murder on Brobergs confidence by Barrie- So lets pick Murray/Neimilainen/Kemp here instead.

How would Kemp look?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad