Player Discussion Philip Broberg - Berries are brewing

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes. Thats a fantastic point.
Cause as we all know the story is always fully written by the time a Euro d-man is in his 2nd year in North America.
It’s not but even look at his time in Europe, started decent has some good offensive play but as the season went on and the games got tougher, his ice time plummeted. This is a soft “skilled” player who seems to go away as the season gets tougher.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
It’s not but even look at his time in Europe, started decent has some good offensive play but as the season went on and the games got tougher, his ice time plummeted. This is a soft “skilled” player who seems to go away as the season gets tougher.
Yes, I certainly understand how one can come to that conclusion.
After watching all of that players games in his 1+ year in N/A.
It really makes sense now.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Alright. Another offensive good skating D. Ok, thats nice, but oilers doesnt need another one of those.
Holland will probably trade one of Bouch or Broberg. The same - same. Bartie is akready established, and has proven himself(actually Bouchard has outperformed Barrie- but Holland likes exoerience).

Broberg is a nice to have - but oilers need another Ceci type of D as a 2nd pair anchor.

Reactions: Aerchon

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
I’ve never watched this player and thought “he’s a future NHL player”

Any showing he has in the NHL hasn’t been anywhere close to the level that’s needed.

He’s still young sure, but at some point he needs to take a step

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Alright. Another offensive good skating D. Ok, thats nice, but oilers doesnt need another one of those.
Holland will probably trade one of Bouch or Broberg. The same - same. Bartie is akready established, and has proven himself(actually Bouchard has outperformed Barrie- but Holland likes exoerience).

Broberg is a nice to have - but oilers need another Ceci type of D as a 2nd pair anchor.

Broberg was looked at as a defensive Dman who is two way. His offence came in his rookie season. His defensive game is his first priority. Trust me. I've watched him since his rookie season

I’ve never watched this player and thought “he’s a future NHL player”

Any showing he has in the NHL hasn’t been anywhere close to the level that’s needed.

He’s still young sure, but at some point he needs to take a step
He also just got back from injury. He was injured in camp as well. Give him some games before bringing him up

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
A polarizing prospect with many entrenched opinions on this work-in-progress.

Now second year North American pro, it's strange to think Broberg is still the youngest d in Bako - a year younger than Kesselring.

His age 20 Bakersfield rookie year was viewed very positively for the most part with reported all situational play and top pairing minutes in the 22-24 toi range. Decent PP results but he's not projected to be a power play QB at the next level rather a quality two-way defender with enough utility to play PK and some support PP minutes.

He got NHL call-up time two months into North American debut with a massive injury run on Oilers d. Through necessity and confidence in him, Broberg wheeled a 23:34 TOI in Vegas four games into his initial recall.

His extended late season call up saw a more managed low minute deployment by Woodcroft who also cut down Bouchard's minutes as the stretch drive Oil leaned on veteran D. Still Broberg pushed out at 23:34 TOI game March 7 in a hostile Flamers rink and did it at RD showing his versatility.

Young D take a lot of time and experience to onboard at the NHL level. Broberg is like the overwhelming majority of young prospects a work-in-progress. However there were significant positive steps at the A and in small sample to reinforce this prospect's slow cook growth at a vital position of need in Edmonton.

This will never satisfy expectations of all fans.

Bakersfield Age 20
2021-22Bakersfield CondorsAHL3141923181430110

Bakersfield Scouting
AHL Coach Woody assessment at first NHL recall: Philip Broberg Will Have to Play Big Minutes

NHL First Recall (approx 2 months into N. America development

Home/AwayDateGamePointsIce Time+/-GoalieTeamO-zone starts
HNov 20Oilers 5 Hawks 21 A14:24+1SkinnerNurse out44.4% OZ
RNov 23Dallas 4
Oilers 1
018:59-2SkinnerNurse out, Keith 10 min15.4% OZ
RNov 24Oilers 5
Arizona 3
018:59-2Skinner Nurse, Keith out40% OZ
RNov 27Oilers 3 Vegas 2023:34-1KoskinenNurse, Keith out42.9% OZ
HDec 1Oilers 5 Pens 2013:07-1KoskinenNurse, Keith out60% OZ
RDec 3Kraken 4 Oilers 3012:20-1SkinnerNurse, Keith out100% OZ
HDec 5Kings 5 Oilers 1010:25-1KoskinenNurse back, Keith out14.3% OZ
H Dec 7Wild 4 Oilers 1910:18-2KoskinenNurse, Keith return75% OZ

Home/AwayDateGamePointsIce Time+/-GoalieTeamO-zone starts
R
March 7Flamers 3 Oilers 1022:34 incl. 2:09 PK0KoskinenBarrie hurt, Broberg at RDI Lost this stat

2021-22 Oiler Season: 23 GP, 3 PTS, -8, 13:28 TOI, 52.2% Corsi For

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Broberg draft came up on my YouTube feed just now. Listening to Holland talk right after the pick. He’s asked “he had an up and down year, what made you think he was the right pick”

Holland: “I watched him play at the world u18, he played very well”

Of course, there’s that famous myopic drafting of the Oilers.

He then goes onto say he’s a “6’3” defenceman with skill and they are hard to find”

Is skating the skill he’s talking about? Cause if not what else could he possibly be referring to.

Holland then says “ we’re excited, we did our research, interviewed him many times, think we have a good player”

So there goes my theory that Broberg was the plan B to Seider. Unless there’s a report we were in on Seider or looked at him, although I very much doubt the Oilers had eyes in Germany besides Drais dad.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Keep him down there until the second half of the year. Oilers gotta focus on Bouchard finding his game. Then they can call up Broberg and have broberg hangout with Klefbom.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
The Broberg draft came up on my YouTube feed just now. Listening to Holland talk right after the pick. He’s asked “he had an up and down year, what made you think he was the right pick”

He then goes onto say he’s a “6’3” defenceman with skill and they are hard to find”

Is skating the skill he’s talking about? Cause if not what else could he possibly be referring to.

Holland then says “ we’re excited, we did our research, interviewed him many times, think we have a good player”

So there goes my theory that Broberg was the plan B to Seider. Unless there’s a report we were in on Seider or looked at him, although I very much doubt the Oilers had eyes in Germany besides Drais dad.
Seider was taken before us there's nothing you can do about that considering how cost prohibitive it is to trade up into the top 5. As for his skill you can clearly see it in these highlights with him completely undressing opposing defensemen with dekes for rush goals. He's a talented player and if developed properly can be a top 4 dman right now. He's not zegras or boldy but what's don't is done. The draft miss is on Holland and the scouts, the player didn't choose where he got picked, just let Broberg be broberg and hope he becomes the 2lhd we've needed since klef LTIRetired.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Broberg’s skating and size are noticeable. He has a lot of raw talent.

He can be an effective NHL defenseman but he really needs to gain a lot of ground on how physical the NHL vs AHL is.

Keep the game simple and I don’t see why he can’t be a valuable 3rd or 4th defenseman for us.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Broberg was looked at as a defensive Dman who is two way. His offence came in his rookie season. His defensive game is his first priority. Trust me. I've watched him since his rookie season

He also just got back from injury. He was injured in camp as well. Give him some games before bringing him up

Broberg’s skating and size are noticeable. He has a lot of raw talent.

He can be an effective NHL defenseman but he really needs to gain a lot of ground on how physical the NHL vs AHL is.

Keep the game simple and I don’t see why he can’t be a valuable 3rd or 4th defenseman for us.
Broberg has always had question marks about his defense, IQ, and overall play. It's the reason why myself and many others hated the pick. He was, is, and maybe always will be a raw player with great tools to potentially be a good nhler. Do not make me go get scouting reports. He was a reach and a gamble where we drafted him. That's a fact that can't be changed no matter how amazing he turns out.

Seider was also a reach by Detroit in the draft but one I would have taken. He was a riser going into that draft and after the success of Draisaitl from the Germany system I was high on him.

Broberg's size is NOT apparent at the NHL level. He is very short and small as he gets blown up regularly and is either on his ass or flat on the ice. Probably the biggest disappointment/exaggeration by the Broberg fan club was grossly exaggeration his size and ability to use it.

His skating at the NHL level is also exaggerated and disappointing. His agility has always been shy of elite and especially this year after putting on some weight isn't elite at the nhl level.

All the above is to rightly show the player in the correct light as a player that has clearly not been effective at the NHL level.

Yet.

It's early and he could absolutely still end up a top 4 defender but after that weak training camp at this point in his development I don't know how anyone can be "high" on him becoming anything more than a depth defenseman.

And as others have mentioned his overall skill set is not required on the big club for the foreseeable future.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Bouchard hasn’t ‘outperformed’ anyone let alone Barrie.
Agreed. He has been downright awful. He had 2 shifts lastnight with multiple giveaways because of a lax, ultra soft approach.

I would have zero issue with sending him down to Bakersfield for 2 weeks to pull his head out of his ass…. if only we had a replacement better than Ryan Murray who is equally awful.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Agreed. He has been downright awful. He had 2 shifts lastnight with multiple giveaways because of a lax, ultra soft approach.

I would have zero issue with sending him down to Bakersfield for 2 weeks to pull his head out of his ass…. if only we had a replacement better than Ryan Murray who is equally awful.

I actually wouldn’t mind seeing Bouchard down for Kesselring or Desharnais and Murray for Broberg (Broberg needs a week or two more at least, though). Murray’s slap pass on the first goal was sublime same with his assist on Hyman’s goal against LA. His offensive game is underrated but his defensive game is too rough for an already porous defense.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

Yup. Lax and ultra soft. That’s Bouchard’s game inside his own blue line. He should have been a forward.

Bakersfield wouldn’t do him any good imo. The intensity and the tenacity, the urgency that is missing from his game at the NHL level won’t be corrected in the AHL. I’d be surprised if he played any differently down there at all tbh.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Broberg's size is NOT apparent at the NHL level. He is very short and small as he gets blown up regularly and is either on his ass or flat on the ice. Probably the biggest disappointment/exaggeration by the Broberg fan club was grossly exaggeration his size and ability to use it.
I don't disagree entirely. I think Broberg has the 'frame' to build on for NHL size, which essentially is just height and reach.

Does he need to pack on some weight, sure.. but height really is one of those things you can't teach, helps in almost every aspect as a defenseman. I do think he needs to become more physical or at least be able to absorb some of the physicality the NHL brings.

Bouchard hasn’t ‘outperformed’ anyone let alone Barrie.
Bouch has been disappointing this year. I thought he had an overall pretty good season last year, followed up by a solid playoffs.

I was hoping he'd take another step forward this year, but seems almost like he's taken 1 or 2 steps backward. Still plenty of season left, but he hasn't been good.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I actually wouldn’t mind seeing Bouchard down for Kesselring or Desharnais and Murray for Broberg (Broberg needs a week or two more at least, though). Murray’s slap pass on the first goal was sublime same with his assist on Hyman’s goal against LA. His offensive game is underrated but his defensive game is too rough for an already porous defense.

This would be bold lol. Not sure I would do (Bouchard) it but honestly its an intriguing thought. Bouchard has struggled mightily this year.

I honestly feel that the current NHL roster is too comfortable. I dont believe that Bouchard cant play better defense than he does.

I dont think the Oilers use their farm team effectively. Send a message on some of these guys. Also it might inspire guys from Bakersfield to play harder. I dont think this team sends/calls up guys enough. I wouldnt be surprised if people in Bakersfield feel like they have no hope of a call up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad