Rumor: Philadelphia looking for a D-man - Schenn and Couturier maybe available

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Has anyone watched the movie "Trouble With the Curve"?

I like Corsi numbers to, but they are very subjective. They're an interesting stat, but I still rely more on what I see on the ice. Backlund took some good steps this year, but I'd take Couturier over him any day. And I know HLM wasn't trying to say Backlund is the better player, he was just illustrating a player comparison.

Are you trying to say hair length is not a good measure of talent?

Just leave!!

:sarcasm:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Actually all NHL data is subjective. Its based on league staff watching the game. As an example, when a forward dumps and chases, and the defensemen" gets in his way" a little bit (since they can't hit him anymore), the data collector might call it a hit, or they might not. Incidental contact is often the hardest thing to record.

I spend some time over By the Numbers when I get a chance to learn this stuff

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Quite frankly, I was impressed watching Backlund this year before I ever saw those numbers. He showed me elements of his game this year that I didn't know he had before. He threw hits, he backchecked, and he showed some ability to control the game in the offensive zone. More than anything, it was his ability to read the play defensively and be in the right place to deflect or intercept a pass which impressed me. He seemed to create more turnovers than any other forward on the Flames.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Has anyone watched the movie "Trouble With the Curve"?

I like Corsi numbers to, but they are very subjective. They're an interesting stat, but I still rely more on what I see on the ice. Backlund took some good steps this year, but I'd take Couturier over him any day. And I know HLM wasn't trying to say Backlund is the better player, he was just illustrating a player comparison.
I quite enjoyed that movie.

and you are right, viewings > stats

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Agreed, but I think this is one of those scenarios where the statistics reinforce what we saw from Backlund this season, and help further illustrate his progression.
He was much improved, anyone that saw a game would have to agree. As I have stated many times, my concern is his durability.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
He was much improved, anyone that saw a game would have to agree. As I have stated many times, my concern is his durability.

Its a completely legitimate concern. It is the only thing really holding him back from being a legit #2 defensive center.

Backlund is part of our core and if healthy, can serve a Daymond Langkow type role for our team.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I would do a deal like

Brodie and Gaudreau for B Schenn and Meszaros
(Maybe a conditional pick based on signings of players)

I do think the value is fair and I got a feeling Gaudreau doesn't want to sign in Calgary. May as well get rid of him while his value is high before he becomes another Erixon

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I would do a deal like

Brodie and Gaudreau for B Schenn and Meszaros
(Maybe a conditional pick based on signings of players)

I do think the value is fair and I got a feeling Gaudreau doesn't want to sign in Calgary. May as well get rid of him while his value is high before he becomes another Erixon

If I didn't work in the basement, I would jump out of my window if this trade got done. In the offseason.

Feaster has more to go on than the gut feelings of fans with regards to what Gaudreau wants to do, given he has the ability to talk to the player, and does so. The trade deadline would be the best time to act on Gaudreau if we don't feel like he'll be signing with us, because it will be getting close to the time when he'll be done his college season and ready to sign a contract. If, at that time, Feaster discusses it with him and Gaudreau indicates that he'd rather play elsewhere, then that would be an acceptable reason, and time, to trade the guy.

Gaudreau's signing aside, this deal takes away from our future defence and adds to our future offence. I don't know why that would be helpful for us.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
We still have two seasons to sign Gaudreau.. I think worrying about it now is ridiculously premature.

Besides he already stated that this is likely his last year at BC.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Yeah, I haven't heard that either. I think his parents are on him to finish up his degree. If his pro career doesn't work out, he may not be very motivated to go back to school. Better for him just to finish it before he moves on.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
when did he state this?

There are very few articles ( I can only find one ) still kicking around on this topic, but I remember hearing in an interview that he only stuck around to play another year because of the way BC finished the season (poorly), and for the opportunity to play with his brother.

Maybe I am jumping to conclusions here, but considering how heavily he weighed playing pro this year, I think it is all but a guarantee that this is his last year in collegiate hockey.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah, I haven't heard that either. I think his parents are on him to finish up his degree. If his pro career doesn't work out, he may not be very motivated to go back to school. Better for him just to finish it before he moves on.

C'mon, when has a degree ever helped anybody?

He should use his head as a punching bag in a hockey fight or otherwise as a battering ram when delivering hits. Nobody needs to be... thought using... and... memory stuff, like what you're talking about!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Isn't this his fourth year anyway? If he's taking an 'athlete's degree,' then he shouldn't really need any longer than one more year to finish.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There are very few articles ( I can only find one ) still kicking around on this topic, but I remember hearing in an interview that he only stuck around to play another year because of the way BC finished the season (poorly), and for the opportunity to play with his brother.

Maybe I am jumping to conclusions here, but considering how heavily he weighed playing pro this year, I think it is all but a guarantee that this is his last year in collegiate hockey.
there was a ton of speculation by fans he would play just 1 more year because of his brother, but all indications are that he plans to finish all 4 years

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Are we talking about JG? The kid is only 19 and just finished his second year of college.

Wait, really? Hot damn, was I ever confused! You mean he was a key piece of a Frozen Four team as a freshman? Sweet!:yo:

Somewhere along the line, I got it in my head that he was one more year along.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I think it would be extremely beneficial if he stayed the full two years left for his degree. The kid needs all the bulking up time he can get and the much less intense college schedule gives him the time to do that.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
there was a ton of speculation by fans he would play just 1 more year because of his brother, but all indications are that he plans to finish all 4 years

What indications has he made that would make you believe that was his intent?

Most (if not all) top collegiate NHL prospects only spend two or three years playing in the NCAA. I don't see why a fourth year would be beneficial for his development if he is serious about becoming an NHL player one day.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Most (if not all) top collegiate NHL prospects only spend two or three years playing in the NCAA. I don't see why a fourth year would be beneficial for his development if he is serious about becoming an NHL player one day.

His interview with Pat Steinberg, for one. He mentioned that it would be better for his physical and mental development to continue on in university, even though the Flames have told him there's a contract waiting for him here if he leaves.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

He said it on air to theFAN and his dad has also stated that he will be there for 4 years on more than 1 occasion.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Fine by me with regards to Gaudreau if he wants to stay for all four years, not least because I'm a proponent of education. By the time he's ready, maybe we'll have more of a need for undersized wingers than we do right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad