Rumor: Philadelphia looking for a D-man - Schenn and Couturier maybe available

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
No they don't; honestly, they'd project about the same as Couturier all in all. Top 6 potential center. In fact, Monahan's like Couturier with less offense lol?

It's a lateral move for Philly. If Couts will be as good as Monahan/lindholm, it's basically moving down from 11th to the 28th pick.

Couts=Monahan/Lindholm

11th Pick>28th Pick

It makes no sense for the Flyers IMO.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's a lateral move for Philly. If Couts will be as good as Monahan/lindholm, it's basically moving down from 11th to the 28th pick.
Couts=Monahan/Lindholm
11th Pick>28th Pick
It makes no sense for the Flyers IMO.

Exactly, this trade makes little sense.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
All things being equal and both players reach their ceilings, I see Couturier being better than Monahan, and I really like both players. Both guys are quite similar in style, but Couturier has better size and slightly more skill. I think he has a marginally higher ceiling of the two. I would strongly consider that deal if the Flames want Lindholm and he is gone. We could in theory add Couturier and Domi/Shinkaruk, instead of Monahan and the 28th.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Exactly, this trade makes little sense.

Maybe not, if Philly would move Couturier for Nurse for example and then they still have a late 1st in a deep draft. I'd be shocked if they don't draft the best dman available, and IMO Nurse isn't a huge drop from Jones. They have interest in this, could be a great deal for both teams.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I understand that Philly might be shopping Braydon Coburn after now landing Streit (or at least, assuming that they land Streit). At 28, Coburn would be something of a direct JBo downgrade. Would/should we have any interest?

I Pity The Foo

Jan 11, 2012
Victoria BC
Maybe not, if Philly would move Couturier for Nurse for example and then they still have a late 1st in a deep draft. I'd be shocked if they don't draft the best dman available, and IMO Nurse isn't a huge drop from Jones. They have interest in this, could be a great deal for both teams.
Thank you for this. Just because we think Monahan is a good player at 6 doesnt mean that other teams trade down to get a diffrent player like Nurse. Who would fill a need for philly.

AfricanHerbsman

May 4, 2010
I understand that Philly might be shopping Braydon Coburn after now landing Streit (or at least, assuming that they land Streit). At 28, Coburn would be something of a direct JBo downgrade. Would/should we have any interest?

Isn't he from Calgary too? I would love to have him here.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thank you for this. Just because we think Monahan is a good player at 6 doesnt mean that other teams trade down to get a diffrent player like Nurse. Who would fill a need for philly.

Nurse is a hell of an athlete with excellent size, Philly would kill to get him.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
The Flyers traded for Streit as they needed a PMD, They were awful defensively last season, so there's no point in trading Coburn. It seems as if they'll place Streit with Coburn on the same line.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Flyers traded for Streit as they needed a PMD, They were awful defensively last season, so there's no point in trading Coburn. It seems as if they'll place Streit with Coburn on the same line.

If they can sign him.

They traded for Hamhuis's rights a few years ago but couldn't agree to terms.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Solid points for the most part except the bolded. I think Backlund was in a group with Glencross, Stajan and Stempniak that all played really well up front. Backlund was more consistent than Glencross, but can't take over a game the way Glencross can at times. I love Backlund though, I think it would be a huge mistake to give him up. I think he'll round into a Conroy/Langkow type. Not ever a #1 center, but a defensive stopper who can get you 50 points consistently. Those players aren't easy to acquire. He has to stay healthy though, the injuries have really slowed his development. Such a great all-around skater. Him, Brodie and Glencross can all fly.

I truly believe that when he was healthy and playing that he was consistently our best three zone player, and actually created the most offensive opportunities when he was on the ice. His numbers last season were exceptionally good given the role he was playing. I do however agree with you about his overall upside, and also think that those types of players are invaluable to a team.

[Among NHL regulars on the Flames]
Mikael Backlund led the team in shots on goal per game with 2.75
Mikael Backlund led the team in takeaways per game with 0.875
Mikael Backlund ranked third amongst forwards in shots blocked per game with 0.59
Mikael Backlund ranked third amongst forwards in penalty minutes trailing only Jackman and Mcgratton with 29 PIMS
Mikael Backlund ranked seventh amongst forwards in ES TOI/G with 13:19
Mikael Backlund ranked eighth amongst forwards in PP TOI/G with 1:23
Mikael Backlund had the 2nd highest QOC rankings on the team with 0.057
Mikael Backlund had the 11th lowest offensive zone start numbers on the team with 45.4%
Mikael Backlund had the 2nd highest offensive zone start finishes on the team with 52.7%
Mikael Backlund led the team with an on ice corsi rating of 2.14
Mikael Backlund was 2nd on the team in relative corsi rating with 9.7 trailing only TJ Brodie

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
When Feaster said, they don't view Backlund as a top 6 center for the Flames down the road, I wonder who on his staff told him he should feel that way.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
When Feaster said, they don't view Backlund as a top 6 center for the Flames down the road, I wonder who on his staff told him he should feel that way.

Was this something from the season ticket holder meeting? I never heard that before and I find it extremely surprising. Not a 1C, maybe, but I think he's definitely going to be a top 6 player.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
I truly believe that when he was healthy and playing that he was consistently our best three zone player, and actually created the most offensive opportunities when he was on the ice. His numbers last season were exceptionally good given the role he was playing. I do however agree with you about his overall upside, and also think that those types of players are invaluable to a team.

Mikael Backlund ranked third amongst forwards in shots blocked per game with 0.59
Mikael Backlund ranked third amongst forwards in penalty minutes trailing only Jackman and Mcgratton with 29 PIMS
Mikael Backlund had the 11th lowest offensive zone start numbers on the team with 45.4%
Mikael Backlund had the 2nd highest offensive zone start finishes on the team with 52.7%
Mikael Backlund was 2nd on the team in relative corsi rating with 9.7 trailing only TJ Brodie

Boom. Im glad somebody finally showed this.

Backlund when healthy is a hell of a player. He'll be a very good #2 C going forward.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Was this something from the season ticket holder meeting? I never heard that before and I find it extremely surprising. Not a 1C, maybe, but I think he's definitely going to be a top 6 player.

Yes.

Supposedly, he said it as a negotiating tactic; he didn't want to praise Backlund too much since they still need to get him signed.

I think that's a load of nonsense though. Feaster had no problems lauding Brodie at the end of the season even though he's an RFA too. In my opinion, based on how Feaster has referred to Backlund through his tenure as GM, he just isn't a fan, similar as to how he felt about Irving. If it wasn't for the Flames appalling lack of depth down the middle, I'd bet he'd have been moved by now.

Backlund is very much underrated by Flames fans as shown by the stats above.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Boom. Im glad somebody finally showed this.

Backlund when healthy is a hell of a player. He'll be a very good #2 C going forward.
And this is the problem. If you can't rely on him to be healthy you can't rely on him to be a top 6 forward. When Feaster said Backlund was a #3 center he brought up Backlund's health for this very reason.

If Backlund can play a full season at the same level he did this year then maybe the views of some will change.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
And this is the problem. If you can't rely on him to be healthy you can't rely on him to be a top 6 forward. When Feaster said Backlund was a #3 center he brought up Backlund's health for this very reason.

If Backlund can play a full season at the same level he did this year then maybe the views of some will change.

I'm not really too worried about it. It looks like Backlund will be given the opportunity to change minds, so we should see the right decision being made in the end with regards to his future. Hartley certainly doesn't seem to have any sort of grudge against the guy either.

What I would be worried about is Feaster's personnel evaluation if he hasn't seen Backlund's value. There are grains of salt to be had here, though, I suppose, with regards to negotiations.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Been saying this all year. :handclap:

All of his injuries thus far have been 1 offs, a lot of them freak accidents. To early to tell if he is actually injury prone or if he has just had some bad luck.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I like it when people do the leg work. Kudos to you on that. Solid points on all counts. Glencross, Stajan and Stempniak all show similar type numbers though as you well know since you did the research. The points they put up also factor in. That said, I don't think it's a ridiculous statement to say he was our best forward last year. Stempniak does have slightly better possession numbers though and better offensive numbers, while Glencross is our top goal scoring threat while still being close in the advanced stat comparison. I'd say Backlund was better than Stajan in all facets, but Stajan had a great year especially in light of my expectations for him.

I hope you don't hear me running down Backlund though. He's my second favorite Flame behind Glencross.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Also, does anyone have a link supporting the comments that Feaster apparently made on Backlund being a #3 center? I follow the team pretty closely and have never heard that. Not saying it didn't happen, but it wouldn't be the first time BS has been posted on the internet.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Also, does anyone have a link supporting the comments that Feaster apparently made on Backlund being a #3 center? I follow the team pretty closely and have never heard that. Not saying it didn't happen, but it wouldn't be the first time BS has been posted on the internet.

From a summary of the season ticket holders meeting:

They view Backlund as a third-line center going forward and a good one as his ceiling. Fan posed the question that he has some of the best advanced numbers on the team, but Feaster countered with he has big time durability issues.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
All of his injuries thus far have been 1 offs, a lot of them freak accidents. To early to tell if he is actually injury prone or if he has just had some bad luck.
That doesn't mean he won't continue getting hurt.

He had a serious knee injury in his draft year that caused him to fall significantly in the draft. He has had a serious shoulder injury last season and another knee injury this year.

I can write off his broken finger as a one off, but knee and shoulder injuries can be signs of poor conditioning. Until he shows he can stay healthy, why would you assume he can?

I am just saying until he proves he can stay healthy and produce for a full season he can not be relied on as more than a #3 center. It is better for the team to prepare for him to be out of the line up and be surprised than expect him to play every game and be disappointed.

Gary83*

Could work as good motivation. Maybe he didn't want to call him our 1C of the future when he has to negotiate a new contract with him?

Or hell, maybe he wants to see him play an injury free season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad