InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I would agree

but for fun

Schenn + Schenn + Briere

for

Giordano + Backlund + 22 overall + Glencross

Briere has got like, 1 season left in him, so its pretty much the Schenn's for that package..

Gio is > L. Schenn IMO. So right away we have a problem.

We then give up the 22nd, Backlund and Glenx for B. Schenn.

Pretty terrible mang.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I watch a lot of Flyer's games, that's debatable. Schenn is not that consistent from night to night and consistency is one of Brodie's biggest strengths. I would not move Brodie for L. Schenn.

i wouldnt either, but doesnt brodie play sheltered minutes where schenn doesnt?

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Brodie was playing top pairing minutes by the end of last year, how is that sheltered?

yeah he was getting top pairing minutes but that doesnt mean he wasnt sheltered. he wasnt playing the best players on the other teams.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Can we stop trying to trade away everything? Let the Flames build through assets they already have ffs.

What assets do the Flames have exactly?
A few guys that might be able to be top 6 forwards, a bunch of character/grinder types?

Part of a rebuild is to get important young parts using things that are expendable. In my opinion; having a 20/21 y.o center that can possibly move into a top line role, and certainly can play a top 6 role is better to start a rebuild over a 30 year old second pairing d-man. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Brodie should be paired with Gio IMO next year. Then we should be acquiring a defensively sound dman to cover Wideman and let him do his thing. I would love to get Seidenberg, but that is not happening.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I would agree

but for fun

Schenn + Schenn + Briere

for

Giordano + Backlund + 22 overall + Glencross

I'm in the minority here apparently, but I'd do it. Schenns for Backlund, Glencross and Giordano would certainly help accelerate the rebuild. I don't think the Flyers trade Briere though - they'll use their amnesty buyout if they have to - he's only owed $5 million in salary over the next two years. With about 8 million in salary coming in and only $6.7 million going out, someone else would have to be the cap dump. Maybe Timonen? Bryzgalov? (lol)

Feaster has already sad that Backlund doesn't project to be a top six player and the organization doesn't expect him to be. The only part of the deal I choke on (a bit) is trading the 22nd overall pick. I'm not at all opposed to trading Glencross - I feel like the Flames should sell high if they can.

Don't know, it's a tough trade to make as the Flames need futures or young pieces coming back and the Flyers need to shed dollars.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
schenn is better than brodie

TJ Brodie is better than Luke Schenn (imo). He has far more mobility, is a far better puck mover, can play more minutes without having a noticeable drop off in his play and does not run out of position to make a hit or block a shot. His game is much more suited to the way the game is played today. If L. Schenn were to have played ten years ago he would arguably be one of the top defenders in the game, but that just isn't the case now. Even if Brodie is not the better player today, he projects to be in a year or two.

Somewhat. Brodie QOC numbers are lower due to the fact that he played all throughout the Flames lineup (and even out of it) at times this season, whereas Luke Schenn played consistent minutes all year long. The only regular on Calgary's defense that had positive QOC numbers was Giordano, while Philadelphia had four players. This would come as a result of Bouwmeester and Giordano being heavily relied upon to play against the teams top players by Hartley, while Laviolette preferred to spread those minutes around. Brodie won't be playing sheltered minutes anymore (and certainly wasn't by seasons end).

I'm in the minority here apparently, but I'd do it. Schenns for Backlund, Glencross and Giordano would certainly help accelerate the rebuild. I don't think the Flyers trade Briere though - they'll use their amnesty buyout if they have to - he's only owed $5 million in salary over the next two years. With about 8 million in salary coming in and only $6.7 million going out, someone else would have to be the cap dump. Maybe Timonen? Bryzgalov? (lol)

Feaster has already sad that Backlund doesn't project to be a top six player and the organization doesn't expect him to be. The only part of the deal I choke on (a bit) is trading the 22nd overall pick. I'm not at all opposed to trading Glencross - I feel like the Flames should sell high if they can.

Don't know, it's a tough trade to make as the Flames need futures or young pieces coming back and the Flyers need to shed dollars.

Mikael Backlund was our best and most consistent forward when he played this season, and I don't think it was all that close. Feaster stated they project him as a strong third line center now because he has failed to stay healthy over the course of his career. It is tough to project someone who hasn't shown the ability to play a full season as a top six player. I don't think it would be wise to move him now.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Don't know why people would consider moving Glencross. He will retire a Flame, and not ask for boat loads of cash. Players like him are hard to find. An Alberta farm boy, loves it here, loves his lifestyle, and has proven to be a consistent 20+ goal scorer.

I wouldn't trade him unless its a ridiculous return. But he has a NTC, I'd be shocked if he waived it.

Backlund is finally starting to get good. He's improved since becoming a regular, and they finally don't play him on the Jackman line. Now people wanna trade him.

The only players we should realistically be trading is Cammy or Tangs

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Briere has got like, 1 season left in him, so its pretty much the Schenn's for that package..

Gio is > L. Schenn IMO. So right away we have a problem.

We then give up the 22nd, Backlund and Glenx for B. Schenn.

Pretty terrible mang.

Briere is a cap dump the only reason he is even in it. I think I might change the 22nd to 28th but B.Schenn is going to be a #1 centerman in a mater of a couple of years, L.Schenn is already a top 4 defenseman and would fit perfectly long term with Brodie so we would have a core of

Sven - B.Schenn - X
X - Lindholm/Monahan - X
X - Reinhart - X

Brodie - L.Schenn
Morrissey(if we trade 28 instead) - Wotherspoon/Sieloff

That is the point of the trade it is not to make us better now persay but to give us all the pieces we need to become a strong team for years to come.

You have to give to get, we give up a #2 defenseman, top 6 winger, #2/#3 center tweener + 28th pick for #1 center (long term), #2 defenseman (long term)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

There is some truth to that. Brodie did play sheltered minutes the majority of the year. That changed when we traded JBo. He still didn't face Giordano level competition, but he played against top 6 players consistently.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not by much.

It's debatable. Brodie is much better in the transition game. Light years better in that area both offensively and defensively. Schenn plays lights years more physically and is better in his own end. I'd call the two fairly comparable and Schenn is almost a year older and 3 million more expensive. I think Brodie has marginally more trade value, but Schenn is very marginally better.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
TJ Brodie is better than Luke Schenn (imo). He has far more mobility, is a far better puck mover, can play more minutes without having a noticeable drop off in his play and does not run out of position to make a hit or block a shot. His game is much more suited to the way the game is played today. If L. Schenn were to have played ten years ago he would arguably be one of the top defenders in the game, but that just isn't the case now. Even if Brodie is not the better player today, he projects to be in a year or two.

Somewhat. Brodie QOC numbers are lower due to the fact that he played all throughout the Flames lineup (and even out of it) at times this season, whereas Luke Schenn played consistent minutes all year long. The only regular on Calgary's defense that had positive QOC numbers was Giordano, while Philadelphia had four players. This would come as a result of Bouwmeester and Giordano being heavily relied upon to play against the teams top players by Hartley, while Laviolette preferred to spread those minutes around. Brodie won't be playing sheltered minutes anymore (and certainly wasn't by seasons end).

Mikael Backlund was our best and most consistent forward when he played this season, and I don't think it was all that close. Feaster stated they project him as a strong third line center now because he has failed to stay healthy over the course of his career. It is tough to project someone who hasn't shown the ability to play a full season as a top six player. I don't think it would be wise to move him now.

Solid points for the most part except the bolded. I think Backlund was in a group with Glencross, Stajan and Stempniak that all played really well up front. Backlund was more consistent than Glencross, but can't take over a game the way Glencross can at times. I love Backlund though, I think it would be a huge mistake to give him up. I think he'll round into a Conroy/Langkow type. Not ever a #1 center, but a defensive stopper who can get you 50 points consistently. Those players aren't easy to acquire. He has to stay healthy though, the injuries have really slowed his development. Such a great all-around skater. Him, Brodie and Glencross can all fly.

TylerSVT*

Brodie should be paired with Gio IMO next year. Then we should be acquiring a defensively sound dman to cover Wideman and let him do his thing. I would love to get Seidenberg, but that is not happening.

I think Wotherspoon would look good with Wideman. He plays the Defensive side really strong and he is used to Jones jumping into the play like Wideman does. Dunno if he could log 15+ mins a night in the NHL but i would like to see him try.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
For those who put Luke Schenn on the 1st pairing, that is a very bad idea. I live in the Philly area, so I get to watch a lot of their games, and while Schenn may be a minute eater, his play definitely decreases when he is playing more. I wouldn't mind him on the 2nd pairing, but he's just not 1st pairing material. Not only that, he gets out of position more times than not.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Schenn and Brodie play two different games. Schenn is Defensive Dman, and Brodie is a smooth skating Offensive Dman. One is stronger than one another in the styles they play. It depends want you want though.

TylerSVT*

If lindholm is taken before the 6th pick i can see a trade of

6th pick + 28th pick for Couts and 11th pick

Why would Philly do this?

Move down from 11th to 28th is huge. And Monahan/Lindholm project to be slightly better than Couts.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Why would Philly do this?

Move down from 11th to 28th is huge. And Monahan/Lindholm project to be slightly better than Couts.

No they don't; honestly, they'd project about the same as Couturier all in all. Top 6 potential center. In fact, Monahan's like Couturier with less offense lol?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad