Post-Game Talk: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers - February 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's no surprise AV hasn't been fired. The front office wants a high draft pick and getting rid of the coach could potentially spark the team into winning some games.
It helps them see how this new group minus the UFAs perform as well. Might make the coaching search easier if they know what style they want to play

Reactions: Trxjw and leetch99

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Nope. Henrik, when he isn't overplayed and has a team at least trying to play defense in front of him, is still an excellent goalie in this league. Too many people on here mistake "not being able to save a team who plays no defense" for "not being a good goalie."

The only reason the team would want to trade Lundqvist is because they think he will win too many games by himself as they try to get a higher pick. As others have noted, that doesn't matter, because NTC. The ONLY way this team moves Henrik is if HE asks for it to take a shot at the Cup, and then they will do it out of respect, not out of any actual desire to move him.

Right so if we eat some salary, the team we are trading with would welcome it for a huge advantage with post season Lundqvist with a team he doesn’t need to do as much hand holding.

The Rangers would do it to clear some space and foR a Regime change

I think my point got chewed up somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larrybiv

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
that's what happens when you trade

Talbot and get nothing back
Raanta and get nothing back
Hagelin and get nothing back
Stepan and get scrubs back
Let Eric Staal walk away for free...and now he has 50 goals and counting for the Wild in the last 2 seasons

this is all on the bumbling Gorton and Sather but mostly the incompetent Gorton

Gordie Clarke made all the good moves during the Sather era, because Sather was not liked

Until Glarke was not liked, so maybe he didn’t make good decisions

But we can’t like Sather

So Gorton came over from Beantown to replace Clarke, and from then on, every move Gorton made was the good moves because Clarke and of course Sather had made and were making were always wrong

Now the team is falling apart like an old Plymouth Duster, and Gorton is not liked, so I assume bill Pidto is making all the right moves now?

Does JB Smoove have a Russian bias?

Idk...

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
4 in a row

K2U4KUR.jpg

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Then what is he going to say during a rebuild? He needs to either get used to it or ask for a trade. None of this demoralizing crap.
Do you think any player is happy losing? They’re not. Even if they understand where their team is at, no player is content to lose 9 of their last 11 games.

And it’s not just the losing. They’re in a tail spin. This isn’t a team of kids working hard and making progress. This is a banged up team that is like the island of misfit toys and playing a horrible system and just in a free fall. Idk how you expect professional athletes to feel other than horrrible.

You never want your players to be content with losing. Not even in a rebuild. You want them to care as much as a team in first place. Players being content with losing is how you breed a losing culture.

Last edited:

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Come on guys, it was Hank or a guy born in Bulgaria.

We have an absolutely terrible roster. 6/12 forwards are AHL caliber. Holden is the lone vet on the blueline, Skjei a soapmore and 4 rookies. Of which 4 are offensive minded and 3 under sized. Every goal I at this level can “play” in the NHL. Gregoriev is a good goalie. But this is not a game you play a rookie keeper in. The team is tremendously out of balance. Let the team settle into the fact that we are missing the POs. Get past the deadline. Start going into a games with a mind set that we don’t have to win anything, but just play good on a shift by shift basis and keep things close instead of desperately scrambling all the time. This is a very shaky time for the roster and the kids, Hank needs to be there. He can rest more in a couple of weeks.

What's wrong with a guy from Bulgaria? We won't win with him? Ok, start Hank instead. Woops.

Reactions: eco's bones

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Then what is he going to say during a rebuild? He needs to either get used to it or ask for a trade. None of this demoralizing crap.

The media asking him about his state of mind is demoralizing crap worthy of him asking a trade?

He’s being honest, and I assume as a fan we all feel the same way he does about this.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We all love the idea of rehabbing an old house...right up until the walls come down and we're faced with a mess.

It's going to get a who lot more miserable before it starts to get better gang.

Re: Lundqvist, he's in a no-win situation. He's a competitor and he's never, ever faced anything like this in his career. It's going to stir up strong emotions. But we also have to be careful to cut him slack with comments.

If he's indifferent, it looks like he doesn't care. If he's too passionate, it looks like he shouldn't be here for the rebuild.

With that said, I'd put the odds of him finishing his contract with the Rangers at about 60 percent.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The media asking him about his state of mind is demoralizing crap worthy of him asking a trade?

He’s being honest, and I assume as a fan we all feel the same way he does about this.

Look, you are missing the point. We cannot have a guy who is not content in a rebuild. It's not productive to the rebuilt. The last thing a rebuild needs is a guy who can't go along with it.

Hank is ultra-competitive. Something like that comes with a potential downside of not being able to handle a rebuild. This is going to be incredibly trying on him. I am not convinced he will be able to handle it.

We don't need him talking about how demoralized he is.

Reactions: leetch99

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Do you think any player is happy losing? They’re not. Even if they understand where their team is at, no player is content to lose 9 of their last 11 games.

And it’s not just the losing. They’re in a tail spin. This isn’t a team of kids working hard and making progress. This is a banged up team that is like the island of misfit toys and playing a horrible system and just in a free fall. Idk how you expect professional athletes to feel other than horrrible.

You never want your players to be content with losing. Not even in a rebuild. You want them to care as much as a team in first place. Players being content with losing is how you breed a losing culture.

No player is happy losing, but I think we all understand just how much of a competitor Hank is and how he's stared down guys in the past on his own team. That stuff needs to calm down.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I think if you're going for the full upheaval, you want veterans there who are going to make things more stable and not less. But I'm sure we'll try to piece it together first.

If Hank doesn't want to leave, I think my roadmap is basically this: sign Kovalchuk for two years, eat a bad contract (Callahan, Lucic etc) to get to elite talent in one of the trades. Maybe the old men give you something this team doesn't have, maybe you can get a 21-22 year old fringe player instead of a pick for one of our guys and he can become a good Ranger pretty quickly.

Otherwise, if you put Lundqvist in front of Vesey-Desharnais-Mystery Rookie kinds of teams, you'll go from a situation where you don't trade him to one where you absolutely can't trade him, even retaining salary, and that becomes a nightmare, and for me as a fan it's not worth picking 5th instead of 15th for a year or two.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Look, you are missing the point. We cannot have a guy who is not content in a rebuild. It's not productive to the rebuilt. The last thing a rebuild needs is a guy who can't go along with it.

Hank is ultra-competitive. Something like that comes with a potential downside of not being able to handle a rebuild. This is going to be incredibly trying on him. I am not convinced he will be able to handle it.

We don't need him talking about how demoralized he is.

We cannot have a guy who is not content with a rebuild?

Good thing we don’t need to worry about that.

“The competitor in me wants us to have the best team possible right here and now. I’m not hoping we have a contending team in two or three years,” Lundqvist told The Post following practice Friday preceding the club’s two-game trip to Nashville and Dallas. “But at the same time, even though it’s hard to say because it kind of goes against myself, I feel so much for this organization, that whatever path they take, I’m in.

“I made a commitment to this organization a few years back. It was a big decision in my career. I hope they have the same commitment to me. I guess it would really be up to them if they have another idea, but I don’t. I want to be here.

“I want to play for one organization. This one. I love it here. I want to be here and battle through the ups and downs, the good and the bad. It’s important to me.”

Doesn’t sound like a guy who isn’t going to be content with a rebuild.

He’s in it for the long haul. Perhaps you missed this article, and if you did, I suggest reading it.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/02/rangers-rebuild-or-not-henrik-lundqvists-intent-is-clear-im-in/

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Gordie Clarke made all the good moves during the Sather era, because Sather was not liked

Until Glarke was not liked, so maybe he didn’t make good decisions

But we can’t like Sather

So Gorton came over from Beantown to replace Clarke, and from then on, every move Gorton made was the good moves because Clarke and of course Sather had made and were making were always wrong

Now the team is falling apart like an old Plymouth Duster, and Gorton is not liked, so I assume bill Pidto is making all the right moves now?

Does JB Smoove have a Russian bias?

Idk...
I can't really figure out your exact point but you made me laugh. :)

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
I think if you're going for the full upheaval, you want veterans there who are going to make things more stable and not less. But I'm sure we'll try to piece it together first.

If Hank doesn't want to leave, I think my roadmap is basically this: sign Kovalchuk for two years, eat a bad contract (Callahan, Lucic etc) to get to elite talent in one of the trades. Maybe the old men give you something this team doesn't have, maybe you can get a 21-22 year old fringe player instead of a pick for one of our guys and he can become a good Ranger pretty quickly.

Otherwise, if you put Lundqvist in front of Vesey-Desharnais-Mystery Rookie kinds of teams, you'll go from a situation where you don't trade him to one where you absolutely can't trade him, even retaining salary, and that becomes a nightmare, and for me as a fan it's not worth picking 5th instead of 15th for a year or two.

Makes sense. We always had an imported veteran presence when we were successful. St. Louis, Richards, Gaborik, Nash...

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What a stupid waste of time questioning Lundqvist’s state of mind or attitude.

The team was hit by an injury bug that forced the front office to switch from rebuild on a fly to a true rebuild plan, at least as far as this season goes. They made a public statement.

So what forces this head coach to continue to overplay Henrik where half a team don’t have a piece of mind, two forward lines are practically AHL and 4 defensemen barely played a dozen NHL games combined??? Who’d dare say anything if Halverson was given a game or two? Georgiev felt good enough to be a backup today, then he should have been in the net.

Don’t you see that the issue is not how Henrik reacted? Why put Lundqvist in this situation?

I understand that Gorton might wait until after the season to get rid of AV but get rid of him Gorton must!

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
We cannot have a guy who is not content with a rebuild?

Good thing we don’t need to worry about that.

Doesn’t sound like a guy who isn’t going to be content with a rebuild.

He’s in it for the long haul. Perhaps you missed this article, and if you did, I suggest reading it.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/02/rangers-rebuild-or-not-henrik-lundqvists-intent-is-clear-im-in/

Talk is cheap. I want to see him show that next season. I don't want to see him staring down teammates. I don't want to hear how demoralized he is. Hank has never had to face a rebuild in his entire career. I'll believe he can put his ultra-competitive nature to the side when I see it.

I'm hopeful that he can, but the idea that I should just take a quote from him as him being fully aboard a rebuild is simply silly.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
What a stupid waste of time questioning Lundqvist’s state of mind or attitude.

The team was hit by an injury bug that forced the front office to switch from rebuild on a fly to a try rebuild plan, at least as far as this season goes. They made a public statement.

So what forces this head coach to continue to overplay Henrik where half a team don’t have a piece of mind, two forward lines are practically AHL and 4 defensemen barely played a dozen NHL games combined??? Who’d dare say anything if Halverson was given a game or two? Georgiev felt good enough to be a backup today, then he should have been in the net.

Don’t you see that the issue is not how Henrik reacted? Why put Lundqvist in this situation?

I understand that Gorton might wait until after the season to get rid of AV but get rid of him Gorton must!

Please, this is a team that should've sold last year. It's a mediocre team largely masked by goaltending and a couple of bright spots. A mere injury bug "forced" the entire front office to sell? Hardly. The front office finally woke up (or, perhaps it did).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

What would be the point of signing Kovalchuk?

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Talk is cheap. I want to see him show that next season. I don't want to see him staring down teammates. I don't want to hear how demoralized he is. Hank has never had to face a rebuild in his entire career. I'll believe he can put his ultra-competitive nature to the side when I see it.

I'm hopeful that he can, but the idea that I should just take a quote from him as him being fully aboard a rebuild is simply silly.

Talk is cheap...

Yeah, the guy only dedicated himself and gave everything he has to the organization for 13+ seasons and built a no trade clause into his contract which keeps him a Ranger for life, and you need him to prove to you he's actually going to keep his word and be content with a rebuild? As if the guy hasn't been the most consistent player, and person on and off the ice in every facet for the past decade and more.

So, once he proves you wrong next year, you can focus on what management has done with the actual rebuild and the real issues that plague this team.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Talk is cheap...

Yeah, the guy only dedicated himself and gave everything he has to the organization for 13+ seasons and built a no trade clause into his contract which keeps him a Ranger for life, and you need him to prove to you he's actually going to keep his word and be content with a rebuild? As if the guy hasn't been the most consistent player, and person on and off the ice in every facet for the past decade and more.

So, once he proves you wrong next year, you can focus on what management has done with the actual rebuild and the real issues that plague this team.

Yes, I actually do. Sorry that you're so upset by that one.

That's kinda what happens when you begin a rebuild process.

How would he prove me wrong, though? Considering I've said a number of times that I think he can stick with it (hopeful yet not convinced). Unless you somehow keep overlooking that since you invariably overlook certain parts of posts when you're grandstanding. I know it's hard to keep up, though.

Reactions: shinchanyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad