Post-Game Talk: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers - February 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Please, this is a team that should've sold last year. It's a mediocre team largely masked by goaltending and a couple of bright spots. A mere injury bug "forced" the entire front office to sell? Hardly. The front office finally woke up (or, perhaps it did).

That’s what you got from this?

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
No player is happy losing, but I think we all understand just how much of a competitor Hank is and how he's stared down guys in the past on his own team. That stuff needs to calm down.

He can be part of the picture going forward but he has to buy in. IMO the Rangers could be a non-playoff team for 2-3 years even if what they do mostly works.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
IMO the Rangers could be a non-playoff team for 2-3 years even if what they do mostly works.

That means no ticket price increase for 2-3 years... Might make up for the severe escalation the past 5... I sat through the seven year drought. Two to three will be a piece of cake.

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

darko

Feb 16, 2009
TRADE ALL THESE GUYS THERE NOT ENOUGH TO WIN ANYTHING TIME FOR A CHANGE AND I HAVE SEASON TICKETS FOR 18 YEARS THIS ORGANIZATION IS A FLAT OUT JOKE NOTHING BUT LOSERS 2 CUPS IN 78 YEARS LOSERS FROM THE OWNER ON DOWN

Holy meltdown.

Reactions: jacko23

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
On the flyers forum their PGT looks like they have just won back-to-back cups.

admire-your-commitment-to-beating-a-dead-horse-somee-cards-18792067.png

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
As excited as everyone was for the kids on D, the only one who is ready for prime time IMO is DeAngelo.

Really like Tony D.

In light of how much of a mess the team is overall I definitely agree. It is one thing for a kid to play in the NHL on a functioning team with strong support on the ice and another to play on a team that is a complete mess like we are. More than half made of AHLers, the TDL threat hanging over their heads, a worn out goalie and so forth and so forth.

Love TDA too. Think he is playing really well. Sure he has issues, his game is a bit all over the place. But he is doing so much good too.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Then what is he going to say during a rebuild? He needs to either get used to it or ask for a trade. None of this demoralizing crap.
So if he says he feels terrible about the situation, he gets shat on. If he says he's indifferent or feeling ok, he will get shat on for not caring. If he says things are good, he will get shat on for absolutely not caring and mailing it in. Should he just refuse to answer the question? Or would he be criticized for that as well?

You rather have your leaders on the team say this loss won't ruin their weekend? Seems like it. That sounds like a great rebuild for a traditional NYR retirement home. When a performer says he doesn't care about the performance, he can just retire.

Reactions: Siddi

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Agreed, but management had to know that this day would come when they gave him that long term deal. Fact is, he hasn't played, other than the two month stretch this season, like a top NHL goaltender consistently. We can blame everything and everyone, but the proof is in the pudding.
It has got to be hard for a guy like Hank, who is a competitor, to live through the decline.
On the bright side, it is happening at the right time. Team needs to rebuild and Hank playing poorly doesn't mean to much in the grand scheme of things.
Depends on how you look at it. One could say that it is really his "fault" that we aren't at the very bottom of the league right now, staring the #1 pick in the face.
Or, you could say that it is "his fault" that his 36 year old body isn't quite able to stand on his head for 6 months. What a shame, I do feel badly for him to some degree.

On a different note.....anyone seeing a difference in the "defending", in regard to a Dan Girardi compared to anyone we currently have? Yeah, the Corsica people or whatever bad-mouthed Dan......but he "knew how to defend", oh yeah and block shots. Take that away from Hank and maybe we shouldn't be wondering why he is looking like a mere mortal, while we are just attributing it to over usage and to his getting old? Lol.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The word I'd use for Lundqvist's play lately is dispirited. He knows this team ain't going nowhere and he knows that a lot of the vets are going through the motions and a lot of the call ups can't handle it right now. Our first line center has 31 points. Our second line center has 27. Our top scoring defenseman has 26. Only one guy has hit the 20 goal mark--that's our third line left wing. The team is dysfunctional and the injuries have exacerbated the disfunction.

The reason why AV continues to play him most every night is because mathematically we're still there but there's a large gap between the reality of what's happening and our mathematical chances of squeaking into the playoffs. Literally we need to get through the next 3 games and get Grabner, Nash etc. on their way. I would like to see Georgiev play at least two of them. I wouldn't mind if Nash and/or Grabner were taken out of the lineup just to make sure they don't get injured.
That would be the prudent thing to do. I am disturbingly anxious about the possibility that exists of either/both get injured and we get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in exchange. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
On the bright side, everything apart from the disdain of losing, has lined up great for the Rangers. The market is a seller's market a great draft coming and the losing might change Hank's thinking. The Flyers are looking for a PO quality goaltender you know. God that would be awful to see Hank in a Philly uni. But the reality is, that may be one of the best things for Hank AND the Rangers moving forward.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Honest question.

Does anyone see this team winning more than 10 games the rest of the year? Do they even win 10 more?
I honestly do not. We couldn't beat Ottawa and they aren't going anywhere either. Tons of teams vying for positioning and attempting to make it. Teams won't take us for granted, but we simply aren't good enough and would take Hank being Hank. The structure (lack thereof) defensive weaknesses and now Hank is all messed up, because he can't TRUST his defense......same as it has been early on in season and at other
points when he has struggled.
On the bright side, our PP looks good with the kids at the point and the PK has still been more than decent.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Get him his 30th win and then shut him down
Need 24-29 first. How is that supposed to happen? Not seeing it, until the team gets settled AFTER all is gone and the new faces bring their energy......cannot wait. But yeah, want Hank to get his 30 as well.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
No,
that's what happens when you trade

Talbot and get nothing back
Raanta and get nothing back
Hagelin and get nothing back
Stepan and get scrubs back
Let Eric Staal walk away for free...and now he has 50 goals and counting for the Wild in the last 2 seasons

this is all on the bumbling Gorton and Sather but mostly the incompetent Gorton
No, no, no.
Back up goaltenders rarely retrieve anything worth anything. We got a 2nd didn't we? Yeah we wanted a 1st, I know.
Raanta went with Steps for what turned out to be Chytil and L.A.
Hags was a mistake, but he was due a decent raise and apparently liked that kid from Anaheim......Etem? Boo boo. But that move fascillitated getting Grabner, right? Not a boo boo.
Eric Staal sucked before we got him and some say misused, but it "looked like" he would've helped us in our weak Center position. Minnesota simply lucked out and had more time in their due dilligence of getting him......revitalized.
So......how is that really Gorton's fault?
I blame Gorton for ONE THING.......re-signing AV. PERIOD.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Look, you are missing the point. We cannot have a guy who is not content in a rebuild. It's not productive to the rebuilt. The last thing a rebuild needs is a guy who can't go along with it.

Hank is ultra-competitive. Something like that comes with a potential downside of not being able to handle a rebuild. This is going to be incredibly trying on him. I am not convinced he will be able to handle it.

We don't need him talking about how demoralized he is.
Agree. He needs to show the leadership qualities he has NOW, more than ever. Can't get too angry and put youngsters in a shell, afraid of getting stared down and embarrassed. He needs to be positive, let's try harder, play smart, we can do better.....that kind of stuff.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
The crowd complaining about Hank's will to win is the same people who would shit on him if he took a more relaxed stance to losing during the rebuild. You would complain and say that he is being a bad role model and shitty leader with his "Country club" mentality.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That means no ticket price increase for 2-3 years... Might make up for the severe escalation the past 5... I sat through the seven year drought. Two to three will be a piece of cake.

I'm not looking forward to it. I'm 60 years old now. Reasonable shape I suppose but I could peg out at any time.

Still it's a process. We've been through it before. Winning a lot more than we lose can be a lot of fun but ultimately we weren't successful. IMO Henrik if he stays with the Rangers will retire without a Stanley Cup at least as a player. OTOH there is an excitement that comes seeing younger players and a younger team growing together and making progress towards getting back to being a contender if the stars align and management makes at least mostly the right or at least very good choices.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the fighting is a distraction to the pathetic effort this teams shown for the last few weeks. have some pride guys.

and wtf hank, stop sounding demoralized and beaten. have some pride man. you're better than that.

i get the injuries have taken a toll but really, shut the f*** up and compete. its like im watching a team full of quitters. and now the fighting seems to be the new "compete" while the "winning games" against weaker less talented teams things just isnt happening.

it difficult to watch.

sell everyone and fire AV.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'm not looking forward to it. I'm 60 years old now. Reasonable shape I suppose but I could peg out at any time.

Still it's a process. We've been through it before. Winning a lot more than we lose can be a lot of fun but ultimately we weren't successful. IMO Henrik if he stays with the Rangers will retire without a Stanley Cup at least as a player. OTOH there is an excitement that comes seeing younger players and a younger team growing together and making progress towards getting back to being a contender if the stars align and management makes at least mostly the right or at least very good choices.
Right there with ya'......our old "bones" can't be around forever! We knew this would come.......didn't we? Been hoping for such a couple of years now. It's gonna suck, but I too am equally excited for the kids. We still have a nice "core", but if indeed we trade McD (which I am totally okay with) will be the toughest replacement of all. Gonna have to be a committee type thing.

Get all those trade picks and some upstarts and a "very high" chance lottery pick (at least get a top 5) and this could be a quick turnaround. Please God, me and Ecobones will be praying, because we ain't living forever!

Reactions: leetch99

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
the fighting is a distraction to the pathetic effort this teams shown for the last few weeks. have some pride guys.

and wtf hank, stop sounding demoralized and beaten. have some pride man. you're better than that.

i get the injuries have taken a toll but really, shut the **** up and compete. its like im watching a team full of quitters. and now the fighting seems to be the new "compete" while the "winning games" against weaker less talented teams things just isnt happening.

it difficult to watch.

I suppose you and everyone else has a choice. Watch or don't watch. Selling and trading EVERYONE isn't the answer. But yeah, fire AV and probably the sooner the better. Give the new coach a fighting chance to get a feel for what he has and doesn't have.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The crowd complaining about Hank's will to win is the same people who would **** on him if he took a more relaxed stance to losing during the rebuild. You would complain and say that he is being a bad role model and ****ty leader with his "Country club" mentality.

Please base this on something in reality.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

i get the injuries have taken a toll but really, shut the **** up and compete. its like im watching a team full of quitters. and now the fighting seems to be the new "compete" while the "winning games" against weaker less talented teams things just isnt happening.

it difficult to watch.

I may be off-base but I don't see the effort as being an issue. It seems as if this team as currently assembled isn't lacking on effort. They are lacking on familiarity with eachother, skill and the ability to play as a 5-man unit consistently. Yesterday the gap between the forwards and the defensemen was like the size of a football field allowing the Flyers to gain way too much speed through the neutral zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad