Post-Game Talk: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers - February 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Talk is cheap...

Yeah, the guy only dedicated himself and gave everything he has to the organization for 13+ seasons and built a no trade clause into his contract which keeps him a Ranger for life, and you need him to prove to you he's actually going to keep his word and be content with a rebuild? As if the guy hasn't been the most consistent player, and person on and off the ice in every facet for the past decade and more.

So, once he proves you wrong next year, you can focus on what management has done with the actual rebuild and the real issues that plague this team.
He's proven a ton. he has not proven that he'll be able to handle it if the team is rebuilding.

I feel he'll be fine and a great mentor who busts his ass and leads by example next year.

But it's perfectly reasonable to feel what Hunter does. There's evidence to suggest he might end up being too hard on young players in a way that is not productive.

You really shouldn't take it so personally.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He's proven a ton. he has not proven that he'll be able to handle it if the team is rebuilding.

I feel he'll be fine and a great mentor who busts his ass and leads by example next year.

But it's perfectly reasonable to feel what Hunter does. There's evidence to suggest he might end up being too hard on young players in a way that is not productive.

You really shouldn't take it so personally.

It's funny that he just ignores certain things to go off on these tangents, though. I've said multiple times that I hold out hope that Hank handles it fine (and I do lean in that direction for sure). There's just a lot to look out for and he can't go around moping or criticizing.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Hank needs to play an average of 2 games/week MAX to stay sharp and keep his focus while also resting his weary bones and mind a little. The losing is getting to him so let him take a small step back and focus inwardly and not worry about when the next game is and how badly he’ll be shell shocked. Lots of miles on him and if we have at least a glimmer of hope for next season being competitive then we need to start treating our hard worn Ferrari properly.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Who on here has ever complained during a rebuild about losing?

Oh, wait. You weren't a poster on here during that time period. So you wouldn't know.

I have been around long enough to know how people can and will react. Even though the majority seem to accept the rebuild now and #tank is all the rage, once the reality sets in and the progress is not fast enough people will start to look for scapegoats. In that scenario blaming vets will be the easy thing to do because, after all arent they suppose to lead this new Young team? How can they be leading if they themselves wont let a loss ruin their weekend.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I have been around long enough to know how people can and will react. Even though the majority seem to accept the rebuild now and #tank is all the rage, once the reality sets in and the progress is not fast enough people will start to look for scapegoats. In that scenario blaming vets will be the easy thing to do because, after all arent they suppose to lead this new Young team? How can they be leading if they themselves wont let a loss ruin their weekend.

It could be warranted though. You can try to rebuild correctly or incorrectly.

For example let's say it comes out in the media (After they trade McD for example) that they had an objectively much better deal on the table, overplayed their hand and had to settle for junk?

Or they throw a 4/5 year contract at a disaster of a player.

I don't doubt that a few fans will do exactly what you're saying but I think the majority of any people who complain about the tank (after being on board with it) will complain bc of legitimate mistakes and botches like the McIlrath pick was.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think there's a massive problem with how the forwards play defensively on this team. I don't exactly see the defensemen making so many egregious mistakes, though they're not perfect, but like the first two goals against last night were just the forwards turning the puck over at their own blueline completely unnecessarily and it leads to a goal. They're also slow to cover guys and slow to get into position for breakouts. It's a bigger issue IMO than the defenseman.

Hank wasn't good last night though, but when the team is discombobulated and making mistakes in every area of the ice it's like "oh yeah our 36 yaer old goaltender isn't playing like he's at the top of his game in his prime years every game in and out and therefor that's the issue"

Reactions: will1066

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I think there's a massive problem with how the forwards play defensively on this team. I don't exactly see the defensemen making so many egregious mistakes, though they're not perfect, but like the first two goals against last night were just the forwards turning the puck over at their own blueline completely unnecessarily and it leads to a goal. They're also slow to cover guys and slow to get into position for breakouts. It's a bigger issue IMO than the defenseman.

Hank wasn't good last night though, but when the team is discombobulated and making mistakes in every area of the ice it's like "oh yeah our 36 yaer old goaltender isn't playing like he's at the top of his game in his prime years every game in and out and therefor that's the issue"

My thoughts exactly. Defensemen are going to make mistakes. No dman is perfect. Not even BB88, DD8, or EK65. They all get backchecking forward support. That's what the forwards are for in the defensive zone. Nash was greasing the skids on his way out the door with his comments in the Post about the forwards' play in the defensive zone. Quote: “The way I see it is that we’re just not playing a system in our end and we’re giving up way too [many] odd-man chances because of the way we’re playing in the offensive zone. We’re not giving ourselves a chance to win games.” Zucc was also greasing his skids: “We are playing dumb defensively.”

I expect player quotes to get increasingly salty this week up to the TDL.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
It could be warranted though. You can try to rebuild correctly or incorrectly.

For example let's say it comes out in the media (After they trade McD for example) that they had an objectively much better deal on the table, overplayed their hand and had to settle for junk?

Or they throw a 4/5 year contract at a disaster of a player.

I don't doubt that a few fans will do exactly what you're saying but I think the majority of any people who complain about the tank (after being on board with it) will complain bc of legitimate mistakes and botches like the McIlrath pick was.

I mean whats the point in bringing EK65 to NY if he wont have a competent team around him.

No but seriously, The management botching this after I have started to come around accepting the rebuild is my biggest fear.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
It'll be no different than what it is right now.

This team still drew fans during the dark ages and those teams were a terrible on ice product.

Many of those teams had an aging star who was living on his marquee name to get that big, multi-year paid vacation from Sather and which the team promoted to get butts in seats. I hope Lundqvist doesn't become that cog in the machine.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Supporting a rebuild direction is one thing, supporting a bunch of shortcuts and calling it a rebuild is something different.

I think most people can support the Rangers getting and eventually playing a bunch of high potential prospects. There will be bumps and bruises but as long as they are making moves that make sense within that direction, even if they make a couple well intentioned mistakes, the overall idea should still make sense. Given their market and financial security, if they are managed well enough and if their player/roster evaluations are good enough things should turn around quite nicely.

Supporting them becoming a retirement home for former past their prime "stars" or an iteration where they are overpaying for merely good players because they believe either that sort of roster has potential or because it allows them to market the team is quite different in my mind.

Either management is good or they are not, regardless of what they do that will be the case. Seeing what they do is going to be both exciting and terrifying to me.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The reason people are upset or unhappy or whatnot isn't because they can't stomach a rebuild..its becAuse right now we're stuck in between a rebuild and the previous attempts to fix it. We don't have the right coach...we don't yet have the young promising assets developing their game to give you hope for the future other than deangelo and Skjei...and buch.

We're not really.. Doing anything right now other than getting better situated for the draft...that's it. Until trades are made and av is gone this is hockey he'll..it's limbo...were not looking towards the future of enjoying the present ...were sitting here staring at a flaming piece of dog poop asking each other when will it be over so we can see the awesomness that's just beyond our vision because of the...well...flaming dog poop that's in the way.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The reason people are upset or unhappy or whatnot isn't because they can't stomach a rebuild..its becAuse right now we're stuck in between a rebuild and the previous attempts to fix it. We don't have the right coach...we don't yet have the young promising assets developing their game to give you hope for the future other than deangelo and Skjei...and buch.

We're not really.. Doing anything right now other than getting better situated for the draft...that's it. Until trades are made and av is gone this is hockey he'll..it's limbo...were not looking towards the future of enjoying the present ...were sitting here staring at a flaming piece of dog poop asking each other when will it be over so we can see the awesomness that's just beyond our vision because of the...well...flaming dog poop that's in the way.

Exactly. The first rebuild was a one year change-over followed by years of being saved by Hank and crap management decisions.

The team needs a proper rebuild.

Reactions: Off Sides

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
To be honest I still think we're better off than we mostly assume or think. We still have decent pieces now for it, so hopefully we manage assets well from here out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->