Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
With each day that passes it becomes more and more likely IMO that Williamson joins an OHL club... now if thats the Petes or the Gens... that we will have to wait and see.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
With each day that passes it becomes more and more likely IMO that Williamson joins an OHL club... now if thats the Petes or the Gens... that we will have to wait and see.
Oke will sit on his hands and let him slip to the Gens.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
Oke will sit on his hands and let him slip to the Gens.
If you're Williamson where would you go? A successful rich team with a beautiful rink, great ownership and a great fan base or to a struggling Petes franchise that has fallen on hard times? Might be a hard sell for any GM no matter what you think of your present one.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
If you're Williamson where would you go? A successful rich team with a beautiful rink, great ownership and a great fan base or to a struggling Petes franchise that has fallen on hard times? Might be a hard sell for any GM no matter what you think of your present one.

It's actually not that unrealistic to think that he would come here. He has actually said in the news that he's interested in coming here. Maybe check your facts first.

OU812

Sep 11, 2017
It’s my understanding Greg Walters has the inside track. He’s the reason John Parker Jones is here

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
And the team that knocked out Walters in the playoffs was coached by none other than John Druce.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I can't blame the players and/or parents for not wanting to report to the Petes.
The off ice stuff is not good-I actually felt like waiting to renew my tickets until after they announced the coach.

If I was a parent I would really think long and hard about trusting the Petes with my child's hockey future.

These kids have spent their entire lives preparing, practicing and planning for hockey - they have come to far to throw their trust into an unknown abyss.

This is a crucial step in their hockey careers and in their personal off ice development as individuals.

***Good on the Lakefield Chiefs!!! Schmalz Cup Champions!!!!***

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

EnjoytheO

Keeping up
Aug 11, 2017
GTA
Terrible article. Does not help the town of peterborough or petes in recruiting these top talents

I like the article.
Too many kids given entitlement. He has every right not to report to Peterborough. With that right he gives up his rights to the OHL. He can go play anywhere he wants, just not in the OHL.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
I like the article.
Too many kids given entitlement. He has every right not to report to Peterborough. With that right he gives up his rights to the OHL. He can go play anywhere he wants, just not in the OHL.
Ridiculous thing to do to a kid. You don't know his reasons for not wanting to go to Peterborough. it's not like he blindsided Peterborough. He told them prior to the draft that he did not want to go there. Whatever his reasons, there were plenty of other kids to choose from with equal value at that point.

People who think sticking it to a 15-year-old is the right means should not be dealing with kids.

Love the Petes

Mar 5, 2018
There is a number of reasons the kid may not have want to come to Peterborough;

1) No idea who the coach is, he wants to develop and the current crop of coaches are already proven unable to do that. Both Duco and Walser are only here because they came cheap. Neither need the money because of parents that have deep pockets.

2) Players that come to Peterborough have their NHL draft status drop. Only Nick Ritchie went in the 1st round in recent years. Matt Spencer's stock dropped playing here costing him money. So did Ang. Look how many 3rd and 4th liners teams like London, Soo, Windsor, and even Hamilton have drafted. The years of instability will take some time to overcome.

3) You think the players are entitled. Maybe they are. But when you spend your whole life trying to fulfill a dream, why would you do in a place which does not offer the best opportunity. Crosby and McDavid were destined to be where they were. They are the exception not the rule.

After a great 2016/17 season the Petes let there two best coaches go and replaced them with cheap fixes. Hence the 2017/18 season. Fix the problem and there will not be issue.

Reactions: TragHipDieHard

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I can't blame the players and/or parents for not wanting to report to the Petes.
The off ice stuff is not good-I actually felt like waiting to renew my tickets until after they announced the coach.

If I was a parent I would really think long and hard about trusting the Petes with my child's hockey future.

These kids have spent their entire lives preparing, practicing and planning for hockey - they have come to far to throw their trust into an unknown abyss.

This is a crucial step in their hockey careers and in their personal off ice development as individuals.

***Good on the Lakefield Chiefs!!! Schmalz Cup Champions!!!!***

As much as I hate to say it, given my love of the Petes, I agree completely. It's such an investment and if you want to give it your best shot at making a career out of hockey and/or getting to the NHL, coming to the Petes isn't the way to do that anymore.

I do hope a good coach will bring stability and the situation can be changed. I'm optimistic they can do it. Not like London, of course, but I feel like they can go from bottom tier franchise back into the middle of the pack. Looking at the fairly consistent success Owen Sound has had the past 8-10 years, I'd like to think the Petes can do something similar.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The article itself is not going to help any in recruiting him, that's for sure.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Ridiculous thing to do to a kid. You don't know his reasons for not wanting to go to Peterborough. it's not like he blindsided Peterborough. He told them prior to the draft that he did not want to go there. Whatever his reasons, there were plenty of other kids to choose from with equal value at that point.

People who think sticking it to a 15-year-old is the right means should not be dealing with kids.

Then what's the point in a draft if these little brats just try and tell teams where they're going? If they want to play in the OHL then go to the team that picks you, if you want to pick your team, go play in a league that allows that like NCAA.

I don't give a damn how hard they've worked or that they're just a kid, play by the rules or go somewhere else.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
There is a number of reasons the kid may not have want to come to Peterborough;

1) No idea who the coach is, he wants to develop and the current crop of coaches are already proven unable to do that. Both Duco and Walser are only here because they came cheap. Neither need the money because of parents that have deep pockets.

2) Players that come to Peterborough have their NHL draft status drop. Only Nick Ritchie went in the 1st round in recent years. Matt Spencer's stock dropped playing here costing him money. So did Ang. Look how many 3rd and 4th liners teams like London, Soo, Windsor, and even Hamilton have drafted. The years of instability will take some time to overcome.

3) You think the players are entitled. Maybe they are. But when you spend your whole life trying to fulfill a dream, why would you do in a place which does not offer the best opportunity. Crosby and McDavid were destined to be where they were. They are the exception not the rule.

After a great 2016/17 season the Petes let there two best coaches go and replaced them with cheap fixes. Hence the 2017/18 season. Fix the problem and there will not be issue.

Being on the Petes doesn't instantly make your draft status drop. Spencer never lived up to his hype and there's no way he would have became a stud with another team and he's still a signed pro player. Ang doesn't have the size or skill set to be a top NHL pick.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Then what's the point in a draft if these little brats just try and tell teams where they're going? If they want to play in the OHL then go to the team that picks you, if you want to pick your team, go play in a league that allows that like NCAA.

I don't give a damn how hard they've worked or that they're just a kid, play by the rules or go somewhere else.

They (players-parents-agents) are playing by the rules. They can choose not to report; they don't choose where to play. Yes, many choose to play in London but they can't go directly there like you can choose a school.

As long as there's a compensatory pick rule, teams will go for that shot in the dark and know there's a backup if they fail to sign a player.

Reactions: Generalsupdates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce