Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
With the bar and cuylle situation how does it work if we decide to make a stand and say if your not going to commit you can sit at home and not play only hurting themselves. I feel we should make a stand and prove to players that we will still draft you and you can ruin your own development or play. It will hurt now but in the future these kids will see we mean business and will have to play I know we want the picks but if you can do something to put this to an end now and get over this I’m all in

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
With the bar and cuylle situation how does it work if we decide to make a stand and say if your not going to commit you can sit at home and not play only hurting themselves. I feel we should make a stand and prove to players that we will still draft you and you can ruin your own development or play. It will hurt now but in the future these kids will see we mean business and will have to play I know we want the picks but if you can do something to put this to an end now and get over this I’m all in

For Cuylle you can give up his rights and get the 5th overall pick next year. But Cuylle can just get drafted again next draft (play OJHL next year). Same for Bar but you wouldn't get any picks because he wasn't a first rounder

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
If he doesn't want to come, the Petes don't really have a choice other then trading Cuylle. They can't make a statement out of him. They can't make him sit at home. If the Petes were to hold onto his rights, he'll just go play NCAA hockey and the Petes will be without the compensation pick.

The best thing to do is trade him.

Bar is committed to Harvard. He'll spend the next 3 years in the OJHL/USHL and then head to school. Petes can't trade him until next summer, but they haven't traded any of their college bound kids so it's unlikely they'll ever move him.

Reactions: Finster8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Saginaw is in a similar situation with Perfetti. It sucks that the kids are the one holding the cards if they don't go to one of their desired teams they ask for the trade. The bonus of the picks help however, you are still out a top young talent. As far as letting them sit it only hurts the club. Probably better to get rid of someone who doesn't want to be part of your team it creates animosity with other players who are there already. Let's hope it works out well for both teams to improve the team immediately and the bonus of 2 first rders next season.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
It just drives me nuts gotta be a better way I know it’s hsrd but make them sign letters of intent to NCAA before the ohl draft It’s not fair they get to dictate so much. It’s not a right to be drafted it’s a privilege and the system now doesnt help the league. The ohl needs teams to succeed owith this down trend in attendance it’s a dying league and every team needs a chance to succeed to keep the junior hockey crowds around

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
It just drives me nuts gotta be a better way I know it’s hsrd but make them sign letters of intent to NCAA before the ohl draft It’s not fair they get to dictate so much. It’s not a right to be drafted it’s a privilege and the system now doesnt help the league. The ohl needs teams to succeed owith this down trend in attendance it’s a dying league and every team needs a chance to succeed to keep the junior hockey crowds around

Gotta disagree. This way does help the league, it just doesn't help the teams with bad reputations (us). The way it is now, Cuylle/Perfetti will likely both end up in the OHL because they'll be traded. If they made it that you have to come to hte team who drafts you, both Perfetti and Cuylle would be going NCAA and the OHL would lose out on 2 of the top 5 talents from the '02 draft

Reactions: TheCoach

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Gotta disagree. This way does help the league, it just doesn't help the teams with bad reputations (us). The way it is now, Cuylle/Perfetti will likely both end up in the OHL because they'll be traded. If they made it that you have to come to hte team who drafts you, both Perfetti and Cuylle would be going NCAA and the OHL would lose out on 2 of the top 5 talents from the '02 draft

Yes keeping them in the ohl is good. But what I’m saying is if every team is getting a crack at top end talent every team will have a shot at success not trading them to the team the kids wants to play for the London’s of the league That’s why it’s the same teams over and over again being successful. Ya your going to lose some to the NCAA but not all not all kids want to take that route no matter how talented they are they want the chl/ohl. This year Byfield going to Sudbury is amazing he could single handedly turn that franchise around and that is great for the league

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hire the right coach (and) educator. If the team is consistently competitive, spectators show up, among the top third of sending kids to the pro ranks, and/or having graduating players going to the top CIS schools; then, players reporting won’t be an issue. If it’s my kid, convince me that the organization (will) groom my kid for future success.

Last edited:

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

You are way wrong on this one. The league is unbalanced because of situations like this and I would argue that it drives interest away from the smaller markets because the on-ice product suffers and the usual teams like London get the top young talent even though they draft late in the first round. Making these kids go to the team that drafted them is the only way it would benefit the league. Id rather see them end up in the NCAA then on London.

Reactions: PEPSIHEAD

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
If he doesn't want to come, the Petes don't really have a choice other then trading Cuylle. They can't make a statement out of him. They can't make him sit at home. If the Petes were to hold onto his rights, he'll just go play NCAA hockey and the Petes will be without the compensation pick.

The best thing to do is trade him.

Bar is committed to Harvard. He'll spend the next 3 years in the OJHL/USHL and then head to school. Petes can't trade him until next summer, but they haven't traded any of their college bound kids so it's unlikely they'll ever move him.

As far as I know the Petes don't have to trade him to get the comp pick, they just have to declare him defected and this would mean they couldn't sign him afterwards.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
As far as I know the Petes don't have to trade him to get the comp pick, they just have to declare him defected and this would mean they couldn't sign him afterwards.

That's true, but then he re-enters the draft next year and anyone is free to take him.

The only way that happens is if the Petes can't find a trade partner.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
You are way wrong on this one. The league is unbalanced because of situations like this and I would argue that it drives interest away from the smaller markets because the on-ice product suffers and the usual teams like London get the top young talent even though they draft late in the first round. Making these kids go to the team that drafted them is the only way it would benefit the league. Id rather see them end up in the NCAA then on London.

This may be hard to hear, but Peterborough struggling isnt as important to the league as getting guys like Perfetti/Cuylle in the league. In a perfect world would the OHL want all 20 teams with the exact same chances to win? Of course, but that isnt realistic

The USHL is getting better each year and we'll just lose more and more kids to them if the OHL puts in a rule like youre asking them to do. I think the current compensation suffices. If kids wont report to you, do something to change that (new management, better facilities, etc). Also even though lately it's hurt the team I cheer for, I dont hate letting a 15 year old have a say in where he is living/going to school for the next 4 years. People forget (or just don't care) that these are very young kids who are moving their entire life and living without their parents for the first time in their life. They should get a bit of a say in where that is, I think

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
This may be hard to hear, but Peterborough struggling isnt as important to the league as getting guys like Perfetti/Cuylle in the league. In a perfect world would the OHL want all 20 teams with the exact same chances to win? Of course, but that isnt realistic

The USHL is getting better each year and we'll just lose more and more kids to them if the OHL puts in a rule like youre asking them to do. I think the current compensation suffices. If kids wont report to you, do something to change that (new management, better facilities, etc). Also even though lately it's hurt the team I cheer for, I dont hate letting a 15 year old have a say in where he is living/going to school for the next 4 years. People forget (or just don't care) that these are very young kids who are moving their entire life and living without their parents for the first time in their life. They should get a bit of a say in where that is, I think

Having this happen doesn't just hurt the Petes. This causes a trickle affect on multiple teams. The Petes lose out on a top talent and move that player to London who already gets pick of the litter from kids from Canada and the USA. Know all the smaller market teams in the west struggle that much more trying to compete and get fans to pay good money just to watch a league that is rigged. This is just becoming more and more common and with rising ticket prices and everything else, why would you pay for season tickets when its a given that a handful of teams are always going to win.

I don't care how good the USHL is getting and that more of these kids go there instead of creating an unbalance that is only going to bring the league down.

The compensation can be decent but if Cuylle is a stud from day one then a few second and thirds ins't really all that fair considering what teams get for a half year rental at the deadline.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Teams have to develop kids and draft well. Before Kyle Dubas came to the Soo kids did not want to come. Now they do. He and Kyle Rafts got a good program going and have been getting kids drafted high in the NHL. Morgan Frost was a 4th rounder and went in the first round NHL. Timmins was a fourth and was the first player selected in the second round. This year we have two more players who will likely go in the first round. Next year Joe Carrol who was a fourth round pick will likely go in the top two rounds of the NFL draft. Teams have to get organized and draft really well and then develop the kids. Then it becomes a desired dedtination.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Teams have to develop kids and draft well. Before Kyle Dubas came to the Soo kids did not want to come. Now they do. He and Kyle Rafts got a good program going and have been getting kids drafted high in the NHL. Morgan Frost was a 4th rounder and went in the first round NHL. Timmins was a fourth and was the first player selected in the second round. This year we have two more players who will likely go in the first round. Next year Joe Carrol who was a fourth round pick will likely go in the top two rounds of the NFL draft. Teams have to get organized and draft really well and then develop the kids. Then it becomes a desired dedtination.
Bingo!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Further to this I've been saying the same thing for a few years in Ottawa. We were a go to destination for 12-15 years. Why? Great coaching with Killer, got kids drafted, great owner in Jeff Hunt and winning etc.... Then we lost our way, so so coach, the Byrne years , a new ownership structure and essentially 7 yrs of mediocrity....not winning. Kids like to win ! Leave London alone, instead of complaining emulate what they have done. Two ways to go bring down the whole league or bring it up to higher levels a la London. The Soo, the attack have proven that small markets can do it. Rant finished.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

The conversation is about having kids these kids sign a NCAA or OHL commit before the draft so they can't play games at all. Even teams like Niagara and Owen Sound have this happen to them and they do a good job of drafting and developing and have good reps. Obviously if the drafting and developing improved the Petes wouldn't have as hard of a time but its not necessarily going to stop kids pulling the NCAA card.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
The conversation is about having kids these kids sign a NCAA or OHL commit before the draft so they can't play games at all. Even teams like Niagara and Owen Sound have this happen to them and they do a good job of drafting and developing and have good reps. Obviously if the drafting and developing improved the Petes wouldn't have as hard of a time but its not necessarily going to stop kids pulling the NCAA card.
Section 7 you are missing the point. If you create a destination where the kids want to be then they will not play the NCAA card with your team. Every team has the opportunity to develop their players and draft players who they know fit in their system. If you develop the players you have and they become NHL picks it speaks volumes for your program. But this requires a plan. You need a very good GM and scouting staff as well as coaches who can teach and develop these young players. This leads to success on the ice and at the NHL draft. Then players WILL want to be Petes. It happened in the Soo and earlier in London when the Hunters bought the Knights. There is no magic. Hard work and smarts.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Section 7 you are missing the point. If you create a destination where the kids want to be then they will not play the NCAA card with your team. Every team has the opportunity to develop their players and draft players who they know fit in their system. If you develop the players you have and they become NHL picks it speaks volumes for your program. But this requires a plan. You need a very good GM and scouting staff as well as coaches who can teach and develop these young players. This leads to success on the ice and at the NHL draft. Then players WILL want to be Petes. It happened in the Soo and earlier in London when the Hunters bought the Knights. There is no magic. Hard work and smarts.

I'm not missing the point, you are. Even if the Petes do what the Soo have done, it doesn't necessarily mean kids are going to stop refusing to report. Owen Sound and Niagara have done the same thing as the Soo but they've both had defected players recently. Teams like London and Windsor didn't build there way up by just drafting and developing. You can honestly tell me that they haven't compensated players beyond just being a good franchise. Just because the all haven't been caught doesn't mean they haven't done it in the past or present. The way you stop the game is to call their bluff and make them choose before the draft. The OHL may loose a few to the NCAA but it's better than the rich getting an unfair advantage.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Love the Petes

Mar 5, 2018
I could not disagree more Section7 and foghorn. London was the laughing stock of the league until the Hunters brought in stability and direction. This starts at the top. Oke is doing a good job but is constantly having his hands tied by the Board which rubber stamp every move. IMO. He needs more control. The same can be said about the Soo. They put more coaches and GM to the next level than anybody now. Forward thinking is why. They lose Dubois and get Raftis. They lose Keefe and bring in (not even sure) but they continue to win. They say Kingston brought in 4 players, they did but they were picked to be 9th and somehow good coaching (Foster?) brought them to the conference final. The 4 were added after they realized this. Rebuilds take 1 year not 4. Give Oke more control and see what happens.

Pay for coaching. Grimes and Foster helped our team to the best season in many years and want to come back. Why are we considering others. Put the money where it is needed. Players do not want to come here because it hurts their draft status. Make it a place where they want to come. I watch the Soo play all the time because they believe in puck possession. That is why they win. Dump and chase is gone. Goon hockey is dead. We need to adapt our continue to be bottom feeders complaining kids do not want o be here.

London traded away Jones, Pu, and Thomas and still ended up in 5th. Next year they will be 1st. Forward thinking.
Sorry just want to win and stop living in the past.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The Petes need to bring in a coach who is going to rock the boat, change the present culture of the team and put his own stamp on the team. They need a guy who gets the attention of his players immediately. Too many players seemed comfortable this past season and, as a result, became complacent. That needs to end.

I agree that Oke has done a good job and the new coach will need to work well with Oke.

Grimes might be that guy but he already has a history with some of these players, Foster is probably too inexperienced to jump into the head coaching role.....this past season was his first season on the bench as an assistant coach.

I don't know all of the other guys listed as possibilities, but Marty Williamson seems like a good fit to me. It would be great is Foster could return to the Petes and be an assistant on the bench and eventually be groomed to become head coach.

The Petes have a number of young, talented players who, with the right coach, could develop into great players and become a great team.......time will tell.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
I could not disagree more Section7 and foghorn. London was the laughing stock of the league until the Hunters brought in stability and direction. This starts at the top. Oke is doing a good job but is constantly having his hands tied by the Board which rubber stamp every move. IMO. He needs more control. The same can be said about the Soo. They put more coaches and GM to the next level than anybody now. Forward thinking is why. They lose Dubois and get Raftis. They lose Keefe and bring in (not even sure) but they continue to win. They say Kingston brought in 4 players, they did but they were picked to be 9th and somehow good coaching (Foster?) brought them to the conference final. The 4 were added after they realized this. Rebuilds take 1 year not 4. Give Oke more control and see what happens.

Pay for coaching. Grimes and Foster helped our team to the best season in many years and want to come back. Why are we considering others. Put the money where it is needed. Players do not want to come here because it hurts their draft status. Make it a place where they want to come. I watch the Soo play all the time because they believe in puck possession. That is why they win. Dump and chase is gone. Goon hockey is dead. We need to adapt our continue to be bottom feeders complaining kids do not want o be here.

London traded away Jones, Pu, and Thomas and still ended up in 5th. Next year they will be 1st. Forward thinking.
Sorry just want to win and stop living in the past.

What's happening in Kingston? They brought in supposedly top end talent and have been outscored 13-3 in the past two games.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

(M.Williamson -“can’t lose using defect rule”) strategically selected kids that would not report while in Barrie & Niagara.
Think about it; 3(2nds & 3rds) min. in late August, and comp 5th pick and comp end of 2nd round in 2019 draft. That is more than fair compensation for not being able to sign BPA; and, the defective player stays in the OHL.

Last edited:

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Braydon Leeking being here is interesting. Flint 6th round pick, 2nd in scoring for Lindsay last year. Looked pretty good out there this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad