Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
Anyone that watches the games sees what this kid does. Anyone who just watches highlights/looks at stats will say send him down only 2 assists?!?!

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm a Bruins fan, I want the team to do well, but as I have mentioned before, I find it odd the way that certain players are treated in relation to others.

Last 9 games:

Pasta - 2g/6a
Krejci - 3G/5a
Cehlarik - 0g/2a

Backes - 1g/5a
Bergeron - 2g/7a
Marchand - 5g/5a

Hayes/Stafford - 0g/3a
Spooner - 3g/4a
Vatrano - 4g/4a

Hayes is pretty much universally bashed, while almost everyone says Cehlarik is playing well. The fact of the matter is that the members of the 3rd line (that included Hayes) scored the same number of points as the 2nd line players, in less TOI.

I'm not saying that Cehlarik should be sent down or benched. However, the idea that he's "untouchable" on that 2nd line when he's not producing is beyond ridiculous to me. Regardless of the B's record, they are in a dogfight for a playoff spot and should always be looking for ways to improve.

When Heinen was playing on any line, it just didn't look like he fit in. He wasn't making plays, there were virtually no scoring chances, he just kinda floated around for his shift. It was clearly obvious that he wasn't ready and there wasn't going to be a miraculous switch flip.

To me, it's different with Cehlarik. It's not all about the numbers.. though I agree, at some point, he has to produce. But for now, still early enough that scoring chances, making smart plays, looking posed and confident and just all round like he fits. Like he's an nhl player. There's really only been one game that he didn't look good.. and he got benched towards the end of it.

I see no reason to break up that line right now. I can think of at least 5 plays off the top of my head where he made a great play to get the puck to Krejci or Pastrnak. They didn't score. So that, plus the called back goal, he could easily be at 7-8 points right now. He's not.. but that shouldn't be all that counts.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It would be one thing if he was holding Krejci and Pastrnak back....but he's not. If anything he and pastrnak have krejci playing some of his best hockey of the season

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI
*edit*

Yes, the eyeball test says he is playing well.

Yup...the eyeball test is there with Cehlarik and regardless of points, you can see that he makes plays and he's a threat to either score or setup a play. If you pay attention to the little things like the cycle, board play, knowing when to just get the puck deep, when to put it in an area....he passes the eyeball test big time

Honestly......since Cassidy took over, I feel like Hayes is a different player when you do the eyeball test, same with Colin Miller

Guys like Nash and Dominic Moore.....you can see how much more effective Moore is as a player with the eyeball test. Nash reminds me so much of Mark Mowers - just really doesn't do anything well enough to justify a roster spot....I'd rather let a kid like Heinen or Debrusk get a look before the playoffs to see if they could possibly be a bit of a spark

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I like Cehlarik and think he's been playing pretty well, but there are people here treating him like a sacred cow when he has the same number of points as B's resident leper, Jimmy Hayes.

Didn't you just say in another thread "numbers aren't everything" in relation to a Connor vs Heinen discussion?

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I'm a Bruins fan, I want the team to do well, but as I have mentioned before, I find it odd the way that certain players are treated in relation to others.

Last 9 games:

Pasta - 2g/6a
Krejci - 3G/5a
Cehlarik - 0g/2a

Backes - 1g/5a
Bergeron - 2g/7a
Marchand - 5g/5a

Hayes/Stafford - 0g/3a
Spooner - 3g/4a
Vatrano - 4g/4a

Hayes is pretty much universally bashed, while almost everyone says Cehlarik is playing well. The fact of the matter is that the members of the 3rd line (that included Hayes) scored the same number of points as the 2nd line players, in less TOI.

I'm not saying that Cehlarik should be sent down or benched. However, the idea that he's "untouchable" on that 2nd line when he's not producing is beyond ridiculous to me. Regardless of the B's record, they are in a dogfight for a playoff spot and should always be looking for ways to improve.

Cehlarik is breaking up plays and stealing pucks and when it's on his stick he can actually set up a play.Jimmy Hayes is a player who tries but is always a step late and has no vision..Only way he sees ice again is if a body goes down is my bet .And I say that gracefully. Appreciate he tried hard.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
It would be one thing if he was holding Krejci and Pastrnak back....but he's not. If anything he and pastrnak have krejci playing some of his best hockey of the season

Agreed. I don't care about numbers at this point. Kid is playing well and doing a lot of things right. That line has looked dangerous since his arrival. He has made some brilliant passes, plays hard and gets physical, and has a better IQ than some other Bs with more experience. I think the points will come for him.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Agreed. I don't care about numbers at this point. Kid is playing well and doing a lot of things right. That line has looked dangerous since his arrival. He has made some brilliant passes, plays hard and gets physical, and has a better IQ than some other Bs with more experience. I think the points will come for him.

They better. Right now he has 7 shots on net in 9 games,another stat we should ignore.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I always think of Dustin Pedroia when people cite stats for a guy that is just starting his career. If I remember right, Pedroia was horrible when he got called up, and then started his rookie year the same way; but Francona stuck with him and he ended up winning the ROY.

Not saying that Cehlarik is going to win a ROY, but the point being that stats aren't the only thing you look at when you have a young guy in the lineup for the first time. And keeping with that player will help the confidence level, which should help the end result.

As others have said, he's passing the eye test. And he's definitely brought out the best in DK46. Points may come, but even if they don't right away, if the team is meshing (and more importantly winning), then let the kid play and get confidence.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Look no further than his linemate. Pasta had one assist in his first six games, followed by consecutive two-goal games and then eight games with just one point. That projects to a 30-point player even with those four goals in two games. I'd give him at least five more games unless something drastic happens with the team as a whole.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
As long as they keep wining I would leave him alone. Seems to have good chemistry with Kreci and Pastrnak. If they start to struggle as a line and he is negatively effecting the other two then it becomes an issue. If Stafford continues to play as well as he did Saturday then you have a good option for the line but that would probably mean Jimmy Hayes finding his way back into the line up and that seems to be a heavy price to pay.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
As Fenian suggested, keep him where he is right now, if Stafford proves to be comfortable with the system, the option is there to shift him up a line but truthfully, other than Cehlarik not producing points with DK, his 200ft game is there, the play isn`t dying on his stick.

I actually watch Cehlarik`s game and feel that, like Stafford, he could be a guy who can swing between the top 6 and bottom 6 (3rd line not 4th) seamlessly if Cassidy thinks a slight change is needed

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Didn't you just say in another thread "numbers aren't everything comparing" in relation to a Connor vs Heinen discussion?

Not to mention Hayes has almost 300 NHL games under his belt including 49 this year.
Cehlarik, like many rookies, needs at least 25-30 games to get his feet wet. I think he is doing well.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not to mention Hayes has almost 300 NHL games under his belt including 49 this year.
Cehlarik, like many rookies, needs at least 25-30 games to get his feet wet. I think he is doing well.

I think what has also helped him is playing pro vs men in Sweden. Now, different game, different on ice dimensions but still playing vs men

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Didn't you just say in another thread "numbers aren't everything comparing" in relation to a Connor vs Heinen discussion?

That was in reference to Heinen (as a freshman and sophomore) playing in all situations at Denver University while Connor did not at Michigan. Heinen played on the PK and in the last minutes of games with leads, while Connor would be on the bench in that situation.

Completely different conversation, but thanks for taking something completely out of context to try to make a point. Nice try.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
They better. Right now he has 7 shots on net in 9 games,another stat we should ignore.

Good point.

I love how this has turned into something it's not. For the umpteenth time, I'm not advocating that Cehlarik be benched or sent down. I'm just saying he hasn't produced so why not drop him down a line (once Stafford gets acclimated) and see what happens.

The second line is producing and the team is winning so the logic is we shouldn't be discussing any changes with the personnel.

The third line is also producing, and the team is winning, but people couldn't wait to get Hayes off the line.

Wait...what?

I am of the opinion that a bubble team like Boston needs to be looking at every avenue to get better on all four lines.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Anyone that watches the games sees what this kid does. Anyone who just watches highlights/looks at stats will say send him down only 2 assists?!?!

I have watched every game Cehlarik has played in for the B's. I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly as far as he's concerned.

I have not said he should be "sent down", unless you mean possibly "sent down" to the 3rd line :laugh:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
The second line is producing and the team is winning so the logic is we shouldn't be discussing any changes with the personnel.

The third line is also producing, and the team is winning, but people couldn't wait to get Hayes off the line.

Difference being we acquired a righty in free agency to replace Hayes. I've repeatedly stated that Hayes has looked much better out there the last 10-15 games. Even then he didn't look anywhere near as good as Cehlarik has so far, and that came after being the worst player on the team since a hot start last season (that's a sample size of about 100 games) compared to a guy entering the league at age 21.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Difference being we acquired a righty in free agency to replace Hayes. I've repeatedly stated that Hayes has looked much better out there the last 10-15 games. Even then he didn't look anywhere near as good as Cehlarik has so far, and that came after being the worst player on the team since a hot start last season (that's a sample size of about 100 games) compared to a guy entering the league at age 21.

What RW did the B's acquire in FA to replace Hayes?

I agree with most of the rest, but that doesn't mean that Cehlarik or anyone else should be gifted a spot if they aren't performing.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
What RW did the B's acquire in FA to replace Hayes?

I agree with most of the rest, but that doesn't mean that Cehlarik or anyone else should be gifted a spot if they aren't performing.

Here is anther one to get you going.
Clode would have had this kid back in Providence by now.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I'm always in favor of 20 game tryouts for youngsters and then make an evaluation. Cehlarik is getting an opportunity most don't get by lining up with Krejci and Pasta. But he will have to produce soon,to force a longer tryout. Missed opportunities are missed opportunities,whether it be in 1 game,several games or a career. The situation becomes more complicated by the playoff race and a past 31 goal scoring veteran now on the team.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

That would have been a distinct possibility, because the team would not be 8-2 in the last 10 if Clode was still here. I'm not sure how it would get me going though because I wanted Clode gone?

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015
i had this conversation about Heinen/Chelarik the other day.

The biggest difference to me is how around the puck Chelarik is as opposed to Heinen was in his 8 games. Yes I understand he's missed some great chances but the fact that he is getting those chances night in and out is a good sign. Eventually it will come and you just hope it comes in bunches.

Think he has complimented the line well and him and Pasta have certainly got DK going as he looks really good in the last 10 or so.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
I agree that there doesn't really need to be a discussion about demoting Cehlarik right now, but if you had to pick: is he playing with Krejci and Pastrnak in the first game of the playoffs (if applicable)? Yes or no. I hope it's a yes, but I'm not sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad