Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Panthers 3: Never a Dull Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
.924 seems to be where he is around on a consistent basis. Even postseason play. Very solid stuff. He hasn't been his normal self this year so far, but he's making timely saves. All we can ask for.

He did so much so early that we tend to forget how young he is.

Inconsistencies are to be expected from goalies under 25. If these inconsistencies are what we are seeing right now... we are golden.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I also think it's huge that this team has shown that they don't give up. Even when they get down early, or even if they blow a lead (like against the Rangers), they've got an ability to get back on the horse and make a game of it.

This team's resilience and ability to bounce back is night and day compared to the team under Bylsma who'd basically mail it in 99% of the time when they were down by a goal or two.

I swear to god bylsma's teams had a 10 minute window to judge how the game would go.

Try hard for the first 10. If rewarded it would be a good game. If not rewarded they were done trying for the night.
Don't try for the first 10. If scored on give up. If not scored on start trying.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
On Reaves watch - big bounce back in ice time - was that deserved?

Also - McKegg massive fall in ice time - are the wheels coming off?

Wheels aren't coming off for McKegg, he is just a fourth line type pivot trying to hold down the fort.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I swear to god bylsma's teams had a 10 minute window to judge how the game would go.

Try hard for the first 10. If rewarded it would be a good game. If not rewarded they were done trying for the night.
Don't try for the first 10. If scored on give up. If not scored on start trying.

Yeah, those teams were so frustrating. A game like tonight, where they fell behind 2-0, you could basically turn the game off knowing the Pens would go on to lose without even putting up a fight.

It's nice to have a team where even if you're trailing, there's still some hope.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I usually felt ok with Bylsma's teams in the regular season. I mean the guy did put up a couple seasons in a row with 10+game win streaks, one of which was 15. They came back a lot too.

Johnston on the other hand... Wow. Completely hopeless when down a mere goal.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, those teams were so frustrating. A game like tonight, where they fell behind 2-0, you could basically turn the game off knowing the Pens would go on to lose without even putting up a fight.

It's nice to have a team where even if you're trailing, there's still some hope.

Didn't they have some incredibly bad number of times they lost while trailing under MJ... forget the stat exactly...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Didn't they have some incredibly bad number of times they lost while trailing under MJ... forget the stat exactly...

I can't remember his first year, but his 28 game second season the team was barely averaging 2 goals per game. So chances are if they were down 2-0, it was game over at that point.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If the fourth line is going to play like that most nights with increased minutes, then we won't have much of an issue. All three get full marks for very solid spade work tonight.

Guentzel needs a confidence boost. First he lost his spot on the first PP unit, now he lost his spot next to Crosby. He needs a big goal to get him going again. It'll come. Too talented not to.

Solid win tonight. Another loss tomorrow if Niemi starts. Oh well.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The fourth line actually resembled a legitimate NHL quality line.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
On Reaves watch - big bounce back in ice time - was that deserved?

Also - McKegg massive fall in ice time - are the wheels coming off?

Yes, Reaves deserved his minutes. 4 the line had energy, out hustled and pin them down low. Reaves had a crucial hit to free up the puck below the net. Didn't get the assist on it, but is 100% responsible for the turnover that got that 2nd goal.

Mckegg didn't have a good game, not terrible though. Very little special teams time. He's not on the PP2 since Horny is back, and for some reason not on the PK much this game. (Did he take a penalty?)

Hard to read much into one game for Mckegg.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm confused by that post. Mur is an insanely humble guy. Does he mean his demeanor or his will? I am confused by that statement.

You think so? I think he's very cocky. Not in a bad way where he shit talks the opponent, but he has a huge belief in himself and will always tell it like it is. If the team plays like crap in front of him, he says so. If he plays poorly, he says so.

In general there is a swagger about him. He has that cockiness that all great goalies have.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
If the fourth line is going to play like that most nights with increased minutes, then we won't have much of an issue. All three get full marks for very solid spade work tonight.

Guentzel needs a confidence boost. First he lost his spot on the first PP unit, now he lost his spot next to Crosby. He needs a big goal to get him going again. It'll come. Too talented not to.

Solid win tonight. Another loss tomorrow if Niemi starts. Oh well.

I was thinking the same re:Guentzel. Pointless in his last 3. I was hoping he'd get out there in the closing minutes to get a shot at an empty netter. I don't think breaking Sid and Guentzel up was merited, but Jake will come around.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I was thinking the same re:Guentzel. Pointless in his last 3. I was hoping he'd get out there in the closing minutes to get a shot at an empty netter. I don't think breaking Sid and Guentzel up was merited, but Jake will come around.

I don't think putting anyone out there for an empty net opportunity will help them get out of a slump because this team seems incapable of scoring EN goals.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You think so? I think he's very cocky. Not in a bad way where he **** talks the opponent, but he has a huge belief in himself and will always tell it like it is. If the team plays like crap in front of him, he says so. If he plays poorly, he says so.

In general there is a swagger about him. He has that cockiness that all great goalies have.

One can be afforded that playing behind this team the last couple seasons.

I'm not as sold on Murray simply because of when he came up and what this team has done in front of him. He knows nothing but winning. I'm waiting for the lean years (meaning more than one) to give a good analysis to how great he is. It's too easy to to fall in love with what this team has done and judge a single player on the back of what was a stacked team that could make up for deficiencies. He doesn't know what losing is at the NHL level. He's never had the pressure of being the other guy opposite of this team.

There is a difference.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I'm not as sold on Murray simply because of when he came up and what this team has done in front of him. He knows nothing but winning. I'm waiting for the lean years (meaning more than one) to give a good analysis to how great he is. It's too easy to to fall in love with what this team has done and judge a single player on the back of what was a stacked team that could make up for deficiencies. He doesn't know what losing is at the NHL level. He's never had the pressure of being the other guy opposite of this team.

There is a difference.

He dominated the AHL and has just about done the same to the NHL. Yes he has had the benefit of a good team in front of him but so did Maf and Murray these past two years is out performing anything Maf ever did.

The kid is for real. He'd be good on any team. He's just even better on ours because we happen to be a really good team. Put him anywhere though and he puts up a 920, I'm pretty convinced of that. He's that good.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

There is a difference.

The bolded is a bit of a strange way to evaluate Murray since it implies his performance isn't a big reason for why this team keeps winning.

You make it sound like he's Niemi on that stacked 2010 Hawks team, who played average hockey but got carried to a Cup by a dominant club in front of him.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
You think so? I think he's very cocky. Not in a bad way where he **** talks the opponent, but he has a huge belief in himself and will always tell it like it is. If the team plays like crap in front of him, he says so. If he plays poorly, he says so.

Not gonna lie I think every goalie needs that belief and swagger to make it to the NHL in the first place. Some guys deflect if the guys had a bad night but he's honest, no problem there.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He dominated the AHL and has just about done the same to the NHL. Yes he has had the benefit of a good team in front of him but so did Maf and Murray these past two years is out performing anything Maf ever did.

The kid is for real. He'd be good on any team. He's just even better on ours because we happen to be a really good team. Put him anywhere though and he puts up a 920, I'm pretty convinced of that. He's that good.

That is your opinion, (I respect that) I'd like to see it as fact, already happened.

AHL means squat right now.

Many of goalies have come and gone, and most get that taste of failure over an extended period of time and respond to it. That's what I want to see. How he responds. Not just in one season, not a big enough sample size.

Not all can recoup, and some make a great career.

The bolded is a bit of a strange way to evaluate Murray since it implies his performance isn't a big reason for why this team keeps winning.

You make it sound like he's Niemi on that stacked 2010 Hawks team, who played average hockey but got carried to a Cup by a dominant club in front of him.

Part of this is partially true. Not to the extent that Nemi is, but this team also kept winning with Fleury who was a just above middle of the pack goaltender. He is just as responsible for them winning.

You just have to remember one thing, goalies go as far as the team in front of him helps him to get them there. A win.

Team sport.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad