Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Panthers 3: Never a Dull Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Holtby just has no resolve and it's because we have scarred him. You see the first and 2nd goal go in and it's almost like you can hear his thoughts to himself saying, "don't blow it, don't blow it, don't blow it," and then he blows it and the cycle repeats itself.

Murray has a thought process that it's just a game, and you can sort of tell by his interviews. The games aren't too big for him because he's still a kid in Thunder Bay who is playing shinny hockey for fun. This **** isn't life or death for him, and that's why he can be scored on and have a horrible game, and then follow up the next game with a fantastic outing.

I would honestly bet on Holtby having a Smythe if he didn't play us. And even then I don't think I'd blame Holtby in either of those series.

Honestly Holtby is top three and maybe the best goalie of the last five year.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
And besides... this team is hardly playing what I would classify as good hockey, right now. Most of it is actually quite bad. Now, I would never characterize a team with this kind of talent on it as "lean times" but Murray, as far as I can tell, is going about his business like we've always seen.

On that note... man... weird start to this season. Been trying to withhold judgement this early and with so much hockey played the last two seasons. It's tough to tell what are roster issues and what is simply playing off to save some energy.

It's always comforting to see Crosby and Malkin still come through when it matters, though. Even when they seem to be playing half the game or more in a haze.

I don't think it's the roster for the most part* but I think they can't play this system full out for a season and playoffs. It's an attention to detail and effort problem and we saw something similar last season. Last season they flipped the switch but I don't like the idea of counting on that. There just has to be a better, ultimately easier on them, middle ground they can hover around that isn't ugly and looking like they're building terrible habits.

I think there's a trickle down effect at play as well. The forwards are going at 75% and that puts more pressure on the D and Murray. The D going at 75% puts more pressure on Murray and the forwards aren't going to help alleviate it. In all of this they're putting themselves through more than if they'd go a bit harder. Getting hemmed in and having to come from behind is going to be harder on them collectively than someone consistently backchecking hard or the forwards consistently being aware of a pinching D... or someone taking clearing the puck as a priority or not blindly tossing a puck somewhere...

* not having a 3C may be contributing to some of the "energy conservation" crap from centres. I know they had a good game but the 4th line construction isn't good and Sullivan has to have a fourth line he can play regularly. They can correct a few roster problems but I think a lot of it is a team coasting too much.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I agree with all that. Especially the part about not being able to effectively play "their system" all year long. It would probably kill them. Their system is predicated almost entirely on raw effort and will. That gets to be excruciating over 20+ games. Nevermind 80+

But I also agree that it's not ALL taking it easy. There are elements to their depth lines I like but there will continue to be ice time problems if the third and fourth lines aren't trusted more. And as of right now, they don't seem deserving of too much trust. Though I liked the fourth line's game last night. Then again... that's only like the second time I've said that so far this season.

But yeah... Crosby and Malkin probably shouldn't be playing almost 20 minutes. I'd really prefer not to have those two tapped out before New Years. Most other things I'm not terribly worried about yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad