Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Panthers 3: Never a Dull Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Tonight is exactly the difference between MAF and Murray, historically speaking. It's so rare to see Murray completely lose his net, even after a rough start. Guy obviously has incredible mental toughness and an ability well beyond his years to remove whatever negative happened out of his mind.

It makes watching this club so relaxing to be quite honest.

Reactions: ColePens and td_ice

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
+ We didn't allow more than 3 goals against.

- Not winning convincingly against a crap team

+ Powerplay

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Two points and that is the way to get going. Pens are not there yet and no question the SC back to back is hard to recapture the mind set of competing. New guys and changes need to see where things are as well. But a good response down 2-0 taking the points.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
A friend of mine who is a flyer fan lost his **** on me tonight on me after Crosby scored tonight. Telling me how he hates Crosby and he's so jealous of our success. I've never seen him like that. :laugh:
Think about it from a box score watcher who hates the Pens. They see the Pens are down two and like every time (to them) they come roaring back. :laugh: That has to weigh on some people.

Hell, I believe the resilience factor from Sully's Penguins so much I messaged my brother after the 1st and said I have no doubt we will tie the game. You can just feel it while watching.

Reactions: NEPA

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Think about it from a box score watcher who hates the Pens. They see the Pens are down two and like every time (to them) they come roaring back. :laugh: That has to weigh on some people.

Hell, I believe the resilience factor from Sully's Penguins so much I messaged my brother after the 1st and said I have no doubt we will tie the game. You can just feel it while watching.

If we go 3 x 3 or win 3 of 4 and Crosby wins another Smythe, jesus.

You won't be able to argue he isn't a top five player of all time without looking dumb.

Reactions: BillPrep

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Liked Phil's game a lot tonight, showing a little fire in October, skating, working to get his shots off, and controlling the PP. Love to see him and Geno heating up, two points and 6 SOG each. Love it.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
.924 seems to be where he is around on a consistent basis. Even postseason play. Very solid stuff. He hasn't been his normal self this year so far, but he's making timely saves. All we can ask for.

Custance made a comment on the PDOcast about how Murray carries himself as "the best goalie in the game" in the locker room. Honestly, this dude is such a gem and I would not be surprised if he wins a Vezina in a random year.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This is the result of extreme talent having some focus issues coming off back to back cup wins... they may need a rallying cry later in the season.. it wouldn't surprise me for them to bring in a well liked, cupless vet nearing the back end of his career at some point...
Remember JR did bring in Doug Weight before the deadline when the Canes won the Cup. I'm sure he's considering it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If we go 3 x 3 or win 3 of 4 and Crosby wins another Smythe, jesus.

You won't be able to argue he isn't a top five player of all time without looking dumb.

I had NHL.com up and I was just looking through scores/stats and I glance over at our score and just laugh thinking how many people are loving it. And then you see us roar back with 3. You know they just get this feeling of "Oh f*** them. That was inevitable."

Liked Phil's game a lot tonight, showing a little fire in October, skating, working to get his shots off, and controlling the PP. Love to see him and Geno heating up, two points and 6 SOG each. Love it.

Definitely agree with you on Phil. He's a lot more engaged, too.

Custance made a comment on the PDOcast about how Murray carries himself as "the best goalie in the game" in the locker room. Honestly, this dude is such a gem and I would not be surprised if he wins a Vezina in a random year.

I'm confused by that post. Mur is an insanely humble guy. Does he mean his demeanor or his will? I am confused by that statement.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Sully is my all time favorite coach(not just because of the championships) but how he conducts himself. I was too young to know badger Bob and Scotty bowman... Bowman I was more familiar with as a red wing. And that's because I missed the Pens first 2 cups as a lad.

Sullivan jumped over Cowher as my all time favorite coach for all sports Pittsburgh

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sully is my all time favorite coach(not just because of the championships) but how he conducts himself. I was too young to know badger Bob and Scotty bowman... Bowman I was more familiar with as a red wing. And that's because I missed the Pens first 2 cups as a lad.

Sullivan jumped over Cowher as my all time favorite coach for all sports Pittsburgh

Had they'd been smart and held onto Bowman dynasty might have already been a thing in Pittsburgh already.

Sully has been great, but he isn't close to Bowman.

Reactions: NEPA

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Honestly, outside of Letang and the first goal on Murray, I liked most everything and everyone a lot. Loungo was great for the majority though, and that's why this was a close game.

Good win. Hope they step up for Niemi tomorrow against a strong opponent.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Maatta, just loving his game. Been loving it since preseason, but just all around been fantastic. Points in 7 out of 8 games. Even the little things he looks so much better at.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maatta outperforming last season's production in 8 games is just beautiful.

In a season (short as it is) filled with wild inconsistencies in how the Pens have performed from minute to minute, I'd say something like Maatta's resurgence is one of the bigger positives we can take away from these first 8 games.

We can pick apart the defensive breakdowns, the lack of focus for 60 minutes, how certain players in the bottom six have performed, etc., but those can be fixed at some point. Seeing a guy who will be crucial to the team's success going forward look much better than he did a year ago is something I'd rather focus on.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I had NHL.com up and I was just looking through scores/stats and I glance over at our score and just laugh thinking how many people are loving it. And then you see us roar back with 3. You know they just get this feeling of "Oh **** them. That was inevitable."

Definitely agree with you on Phil. He's a lot more engaged, too.

I'm confused by that post. Mur is an insanely humble guy. Does he mean his demeanor or his will? I am confused by that statement.

Nah. Murray is full of himself....and I love it. That's the attitude I want from my Goalie. Loved when he pissed off Ottawa fans after game 7, when he said Pittsburgh was clearly the better team.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Canucks can only retain on 1 more player, we would need a ton of cap space for both. I'd not take 1 Sedin, they have to be a duo.
Cap space? That's so last year. Now a team is only ever one rash away from compliance.

:popcorn:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
On Reaves watch - big bounce back in ice time - was that deserved?

Also - McKegg massive fall in ice time - are the wheels coming off?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I also think it's huge that this team has shown that they don't give up. Even when they get down early, or even if they blow a lead (like against the Rangers), they've got an ability to get back on the horse and make a game of it.

This team's resilience and ability to bounce back is night and day compared to the team under Bylsma who'd basically mail it in 99% of the time when they were down by a goal or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad