Paul Kariya finally admits he wouldn't be in the Hall of fame without Selanne

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He probably thought you quoted all Selanne's games with the Ducks. It's obvious by looking at the totals that you didn't, but if one makes that mistake then it's understandable to say what the poster said.

Ohhh my bad. I see what you mean. I'll edit the post.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I think at his peak he was up there in the top 3; he would have been a legit MVP candidate on a better team around '96 or '97. Problem is, his peak only lasted about 2-3 years. After that, the combo of concussion fears and his continual one-year qualifying offer deals pretty much forced him into being a perimeter player only, since he had no long-term contractual security.

I also think the shrinking of the neutral zone hurt him more than people realize, because his best strength was his speed on the rush forcing defenders to back up, and not so much about having extra room in the offensive zone.

After his peak he was still really good, but no longer MVP caliber.
Kariya was a top 5ish player in the league from 95-96 (108 points) to 99-00 (4th in scoring 86 points in 74 games), a good 5 years. That's a reasonable peak/prime for any HOFer. He declined hard after the Stevens hit, no doubt.

NewUser293223

Registered Abuser
Oct 21, 2017
Ivory tower
Selective stats of the entire time they played together?

And please explain how Kariya's stats being better while they were together somehow proves Selanne is actually better? lol

Like the one above me said. But they didn't play that entire time together anyway. Selanne spent two thirds of 97/98 without Paul, Kariya missed a decent portion during 96/97 too. You're simply wrong. Selanne was the more skilled and more lethal. Look at Kariya's stats before Teemu's arrival. Compare with Teemu's stats before and after the trade. Kariya did benefit more because Selanne was the better player.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Finally the truth comes out! I'm so happy that it can now be settled that Kariya basically rode on Teemu's back to a HoF induction! Or we can settle for what he said as a classy, humble statement from an amazing player giving props to another amazing player.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Like the one above me said. But they didn't play that entire time together anyway. Selanne spent two thirds of 97/98 without Paul, Kariya missed a decent portion during 96/97 too. You're simply wrong. Selanne was the more skilled and more lethal. Look at Kariya's stats before Teemu's arrival. Compare with Teemu's stats before and after the trade. Kariya did benefit more because Selanne was the better player.

Kariya was a rookie before Selanne's arrival. There is no real way to say one was clearly better than the other when they played together considering their stats are almost identical, as well as the eye test. Infact, I would argue that Kariya appeared to be the more skilled player with better shot and vision. Difference is Selanne's knees could be fixed but Kariya's brain couldn't.

NewUser293223

Registered Abuser
Oct 21, 2017
Ivory tower
Kariya was a rookie before Selanne's arrival. There is no real way to say one was clearly better than the other when they played together considering their stats are almost identical, as well as the eye test. Infact, I would argue that Kariya appeared to be the more skilled player with better shot and vision. Difference is Selanne's knees could be fixed but Kariya's brain couldn't.

Kariya was a sophomore before Selanne's arrival. You should really look at how that year which eventually ended up being Kariya's career best looked before Selanne joined the Ducks.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I mean to be fair he did almost end his career on the # we do not speak of.... so if he didn't get off said # neither might be in the HOF today.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Ridiculous statement. Absolutely ridiculous statement. They are both in the HHOF because they gelled so well together. It's really rare that you find two superstar talents like this that are capable of gelling in the way that they did. I'm going to go ahead and argue that if either of these guys didn't play together neither of them would have made the hall, but that's about as ludicrous as the op.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Another classic Mulletman hot take.

Kariya was an elite player with or without Selanne. Just because they both benefited from playing with one another doesn't mean either wasn't elite on his own.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Did all those HOFers from the 80s Oilers share the same sentiments about Wayne Gretzky?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

The dates I put include only their seasons together. Except I made the mistake of including the full 95-96 season for Kariya, but Selanne only got there for the last 20-something games of the season.

Either way, their stats together are pretty much identical. Kariya's stats before Selanne were worse but only because he was a Rookie. They both did well after their time in Colorado, once they parted ways. Kariya went on to have a great season in Nashville, and Selanne put up a bunch of great ones in Anaheim again.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I bet if you watch a bunch of hall of fame speeches you'll hear many players say similar statements regarding their teammates

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Kariya was a sophomore before Selanne's arrival. You should really look at how that year which eventually ended up being Kariya's career best looked before Selanne joined the Ducks.

He joined during his sophomore year and scored at a lesser pace than he did in Winnipeg that season, and had nearly the same stats as Kariya during their time together in Anaheim. Also did you not watch them play? Did one stand out to you or look like they were carrying the other? Part of what made them such a great duo was not only their great chemistry but how equal they were to one another in speed, skill and hockey IQ. Similar to what we've seen with Stamkos/St. Louis and now Stamkos/Kucherov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad