Paul Kariya finally admits he wouldn't be in the Hall of fame without Selanne

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
Holy balls! This must be the stupidest topic I have seen here in a while. "Paul Kariya FINALLY admits" Hahahahahaha! OMG!
Yeah Paul could barely skate and he was extremely lucky to play with Teemu. Amen!​

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Kariya could never make McDonald a star despite playing with him in Anaheim before Selanne. But as soon as Selanne joined the Ducks again he made McDonald into a star player. That should really tell you who's better right there!

What are you even talking about? Kariya and McDonald weren't even linemates in Anaheim. Heck, they were never even teammates in Anaheim while Kariya was in his prime. What lifted McDonald's career was the rule changes, having recovered from concussions and being trusted in a top line role, instead of playing on the 3rd line ...

At times McDonald was still quite productive in St. Louis. He scored 44 points in 46 games one year, 50 points in 58 games another, 32 points in 34 games another (including playoffs as he played so few games in that regular season). He had no Teemu to play with there. But I guess in your world Brad Boyes >>> prime Kariya as well.

Of course playing with Teemu helped, but you're making it sound like McDonald was on a piggy ride. He was a very good player in his own right, a first line center on a cup winner and led the team in goals during those playoffs. It's not like he was dragging Teemu down. They both benefitted from each other. It was the same thing with Kariya/Selanne.

Last edited:

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
When will he admit the fact that he's the real father of Teemu's oldest son though? :naughty:
dec32bfeb589a5178a8cd2461d050dda

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Paul Kariya was a beast of a player.

He thanks one of his best friends on a celebratory night and OP finds a way to **** all over it.

Great job man.

Great ****ing job.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Many here on HF Boards seem to think that Paul Kariya was super elite and that he was on par with Teemu Selanne. Some have even tried to push the false narrative that he's superior to Selanne. Personally I've always been of the opinion that Kariya was Robin and Selanne was Batman. Or if we put it in hockey terms, Kariya was Marleau and Selanne was Thonton.

But now that Kariya made the hall of fame he finally admits in his speech that he wouldn't have made it without Selanne: Highlights from Hockey Hall of Fame speeches

Kariya said the following about Selanne: "And Teemu, I simply would not be standing here tonight if I didn't get the chance to play with you."

Truer Words have never been spoken.

Selanne of course thanked Kariya too but he never said he wouldn't have made the hall without him.
u ok bro?

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
Or if we put it in hockey terms, Kariya was Marleau and Selanne was Thonton.

But now that Kariya made the hall of fame he finally admits in his speech that he wouldn't have made it without Selanne: Highlights from Hockey Hall of Fame speeches

Kariya said the following about Selanne: "And Teemu, I simply would not be standing here tonight if I didn't get the chance to play with you."

Selanne of course thanked Kariya too but he never said he wouldn't have made the hall without him.

Most players would not be in the Hall without the success of their teammates.

Both Marleau and Thornton are going in the Hall. You make a bad point OP.

When it’s all said and done Marleau will end up with close to, or more than 600 goals. They don’t leave guys out of the Hall with close to 600 goals.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
You could very easily make this argument for many hall of famers.

Player X would've never made the hall without player Y!!!!

Kariya was a dominant force in the league for many years. He has earned the honor completely.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Many here on HF Boards seem to think that Paul Kariya was super elite and that he was on par with Teemu Selanne. Some have even tried to push the false narrative that he's superior to Selanne. Personally I've always been of the opinion that Kariya was Robin and Selanne was Batman. Or if we put it in hockey terms, Kariya was Marleau and Selanne was Thonton.

Why does it matter so much? He's just being humble.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Mulletman with another patented hit and run thread

Reactions: KevinRedkey

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Back in the 95/96 season, Selanne played 28 games in Anaheim recording 36 points.
Steve Rucchin scored 44 points in 64 games, he came in second place right after Kariya in Anaheims interal scoring race.
Kariya scored 108 points in 82 games that year...

Worst thread ever. Kariya would have made HHOF withouth Selanne.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Still amazing what Selanne did in the NHL without never really having a legit 1st line center(in a contender level team). I think his Olympic and World cup stats are great indication what he could have done with a legit center.

Rucchin was a very legit two-way centre but I agree he was by no means Saku Koivu
The Lehtinen-Koivu-Selanne line was so dominant when playing for Finland in both ends of the ice

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Kariya was an incredible hockey player, sure he and Teemu had good chemistry but Paul was good enough on his own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad