Paul Kariya finally admits he wouldn't be in the Hall of fame without Selanne

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Didn't know how many concussions he had until recently, the guy only played 15 seasons from ages 21-36 and had 6 concussions, 3 of them being season ending jesus no wonder he was mad.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
[mod] but Kariya was a better player than Selanne. He is being humble and thanking his best friend. Like anyone with a good heart would.

I am certain most people who talk crap about Kariya did not even follow him while he was playing in the 90s. He made a terrible Ducks team enjoyable to watch for a long time. It reminded me of how Joe Sakic did that in Quebec for a couple years. In the 90s, aside from Selanne's rookie season, it was clear that Kariya was a notch above Selanne talent wise. A lot of people were talking about him as a budding Gretzky (which was a little too much, but it shows how admired he was). His career was derailed by bad luck: concussions that proved to be severe. He still managed to end his career at 1ppg. If not for those head injuries he would have had over 1ppg and finished his time in the NHL among the top 30 points getters. :)

I am very happy that Paul made it to the HHoF. Whatever he says, he deserved to be there on his own merit.

P.S.: Selanne was great too, of course. But for the guy who mentioned him winning a cup... well yea, he did with a MUCH better Ducks team than Kariya ever had.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
[mod] but Kariya was a better player than Selanne. He is being humble and thanking his best friend. Like anyone with a good heart would.

I am certain most people who talk crap about Kariya did not even follow him while he was playing in the 90s. He made a terrible Ducks team enjoyable to watch for a long time. It reminded me of how Joe Sakic did that in Quebec for a couple years. In the 90s, aside from Selanne's rookie season, it was clear that Kariya was a notch above Selanne talent wise. A lot of people were talking about him as a budding Gretzky (which was a little too much, but it shows how admired he was). His career was derailed by bad luck: concussions that proved to be severe. He still managed to end his career at 1ppg. If not for those head injuries he would have had over 1ppg and finished his time in the NHL among the top 30 points getters. :)

I am very happy that Paul made it to the HHoF. Whatever he says, he deserved to be there on his own merit.

P.S.: Selanne was great too, of course. But for the guy who mentioned him winning a cup... well yea, he did with a MUCH better Ducks team than Kariya ever had.

Not sure how Kariya has more talent than Teemu.

Teemu best seasons after 1993

1996 108 points
1997 109 points
1999 107 points (75 games

Kariya

1996 108 points
1997 99 points (69 games)
1999 101 points

You probably need to five slight edge to Teemu

Last edited by a moderator:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Silly premise for this thread.

In his prime before the concussions Kariya was astounding and every bit as good if not better then selanne(personally i think he was more talented all around offensively then Teemu)kariya was Jon Gaudreau before Jon Gaudreau, I think he was a touch better then him too.

Such a shame what happened, one of the funnest guys to watch I ever saw in his heyday.

But great players and both helped each other, Selanne never carried Kariya nor vice versa.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Silly premise for this thread.

In his prime before the concussions Kariya was astounding and every bit as good if not better then selanne(personally i think he was more talented all around offensively then Teemu)kariya was Jon Gaudreau before Jon Gaudreau, I think he was a touch better then him too.

Such a shame what happened, one of the funnest guys to watch I ever saw in his heyday.

But great players and both helped each other, Selanne never carried Kariya nor vice versa.

He was Gaudreau but faster and with a much better shot.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He was Gaudreau but faster and with a much better shot.
Yep, superior top end speed to Gaudreau.

I think Gaudreaus shot measures up well to his though aside from the better Kariya slap shot.

I love Gaudreaus game but I think Kariya was even better, can you imagine him playing now with the way they are calling the game today?

He would be a nightmare for opposing teams out there.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Kariya was HOF worthy and some of those hits on him are ridiculous. I'm going to assume he's fine now health wise

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Yep, superior top end speed to Gaudreau.

I think Gaudreaus shot measures up well to his though aside from the better Kariya slap shot.

I love Gaudreaus game but I think Kariya was even better, can you imagine him playing now with the way they are calling the game today?

He would be a nightmare for opposing teams out there.

Kariya wrist shot was something Johnny could dream about, much better.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Kariya wrist shot was something Johnny could dream about, much better.

It was off the charts allright, no argument there.

Kariya was something else, it still pains me that his career was derailed like that, he was a joy to watch.

Really one of the most gifted players I have ever seen.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
This is maybe the third-dumbest thread I've seen yet on the main board.

To be fair, over the past 4 years I've seen one or two dumber ones.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Many here on HF Boards seem to think that Paul Kariya was super elite and that he was on par with Teemu Selanne. Some have even tried to push the false narrative that he's superior to Selanne. Personally I've always been of the opinion that Kariya was Robin and Selanne was Batman. Or if we put it in hockey terms, Kariya was Marleau and Selanne was Thonton.

But now that Kariya made the hall of fame he finally admits in his speech that he wouldn't have made it without Selanne: Highlights from Hockey Hall of Fame speeches

Kariya said the following about Selanne: "And Teemu, I simply would not be standing here tonight if I didn't get the chance to play with you."

Truer Words have never been spoken.

Selanne of course thanked Kariya too but he never said he wouldn't have made the hall without him.
Geez, man. He just got into tho HOF. What’s your vandetta? Did he kick your dog or something?

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Many here on HF Boards seem to think that Paul Kariya was super elite and that he was on par with Teemu Selanne. Some have even tried to push the false narrative that he's superior to Selanne. Personally I've always been of the opinion that Kariya was Robin and Selanne was Batman. Or if we put it in hockey terms, Kariya was Marleau and Selanne was Thonton.

But now that Kariya made the hall of fame he finally admits in his speech that he wouldn't have made it without Selanne: Highlights from Hockey Hall of Fame speeches

Kariya said the following about Selanne: "And Teemu, I simply would not be standing here tonight if I didn't get the chance to play with you."

Truer Words have never been spoken.

Selanne of course thanked Kariya too but he never said he wouldn't have made the hall without him.
This is the most idiotic hot take I've read today. So, congrats.

Reactions: TheStroker

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Great player who *IS* in the HoF. Do I think Selanne is better? Sure. Is Kariya unworthy? No.

NewUser293223

Registered Abuser
Oct 21, 2017
Ivory tower
The dates I put include only their seasons together. Except I made the mistake of including the full 95-96 season for Kariya, but Selanne only got there for the last 20-something games of the season.

Either way, their stats together are pretty much identical.

No, you did not. Kariya played only 22 games during 97/98 and 69 in 96/97, which means Selanne basically spent a one whole year without Kariya. So while Paul pretty much always had Teemu, the same didn't apply the other way around. 97/98 was a very meek year offensively btw.

He joined during his sophomore year and scored at a lesser pace than he did in Winnipeg that season, and had nearly the same stats as Kariya during their time together in Anaheim. Also did you not watch them play? Did one stand out to you or look like they were carrying the other? Part of what made them such a great duo was not only their great chemistry but how equal they were to one another in speed, skill and hockey IQ. Similar to what we've seen with Stamkos/St. Louis and now Stamkos/Kucherov.

Kariya... How did he do before and after Selanne during 95/96? See? Teemu actually began scoring less joining Paul, meanwhile Paul began scoring more after Selanne joined him. It's pretty simple. Selanne was the better one. Not by a whole lot, but still some.

Selanne was overrated.

Selanne had a good 5-10% on Kariya in terms of ability. Look at Kariya's highlights. Decent, that's all. (And don't whine about highlights being irrelevant, because that's all you've ever seen of them, if even that.)

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
Lindros and Bure both got in alone. Why wouldn't Kariya? Kariya was better than both, and more complete than the latter two. Kariya got a weak Ducks team a game away from winning the Cup. Giguere too helped out, but still Kariya had the amazing game 6 winning goal, after a massive concussion.

ayrton2388

May 23, 2014
Kariya scored 50 goals and 108 pts in his sophomore season, without Selanne. He was just as good, if not better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->