Paul Kariya finally admits he wouldn't be in the Hall of fame without Selanne

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Selanne was overrated.

In general not really, scored 76 goals in his rookie year then suffered leg injuries that already affected his skating before he joined Anaheim. Suffered more later in his career, then came back after 35 to be an elite player again for multiple seasons, one of which came at the age of 41.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
So? If the Sedins make the HOF they'll say the same about Burrows

beside the point, and i don't want to dignify the OP with any positive reaction or agreement, but when the sedins say they couldn't have done it without burrows, it'll be 100% true. burrows did so much for them.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
In general not really, scored 76 goals in his rookie year then suffered leg injuries that already affected his skating before he joined Anaheim. Suffered more later in his career, then came back after 35 to be an elite player again for multiple seasons, one of which came at the age of 41.
The leg injury came 10 years after his rookie season which was a bit of a fluke because of the high scoring.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The leg injury came 10 years after his rookie season which was a bit of a fluke because of the high scoring.

He also had injuries before he went to Anaheim, I remember clearly, you could look it up. Also he finished tied for 1st in the NHL in goals as a rookie. First.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Many here on HF Boards seem to think that Paul Kariya was super elite and that he was on par with Teemu Selanne. Some have even tried to push the false narrative that he's superior to Selanne. Personally I've always been of the opinion that Kariya was Robin and Selanne was Batman. Or if we put it in hockey terms, Kariya was Marleau and Selanne was Thonton.

But now that Kariya made the hall of fame he finally admits in his speech that he wouldn't have made it without Selanne: Highlights from Hockey Hall of Fame speeches

Kariya said the following about Selanne: "And Teemu, I simply would not be standing here tonight if I didn't get the chance to play with you."

Truer Words have never been spoken.

Selanne of course thanked Kariya too but he never said he wouldn't have made the hall without him.

Did Kariya defecate in your corn flakes this morning?

Reactions: saffronleaf

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I personnally feel like they were the perfect fir for eachother. Both speedy, positive persons who became linemates and good friends. Good chemistry goes both ways. Selänne was the better scorer, butKariya did his part too. There is a chance Teemu wouldnt be there either without Paul.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Funny how the OP says "finally", as though this has been lingering over Kariya's head for years and years. He just found out he was getting into the HOF when, in June?

What a ridiculous thread. Needless pot-stirring and nothing else.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Still amazing what Selanne did in the NHL without never really having a legit 1st line center(in a contender level team). I think his Olympic and World cup stats are great indication what he could have done with a legit center.

Reactions: elmaco

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He also had injuries before he went to Anaheim, I remember clearly, you could look it up. Also he finished tied for 1st in the NHL in goals as a rookie. First.

Yup. He had serious achilles tendon injury in his sophomore season which slowed him down a bit. He also shattered his leg in Finland before coming to NHL in a potentially career ending way.

Tanembaria

Apr 8, 2016
Eh, well at least Mulletman gets us all talking about great players... ;)

Honestly, I think Paul Kariya could have made his way up to near generational status if not for his concussions. Guy had a crazy work ethic... pretty much willed himself to become better every year. He stagnated and was never the same after his 3rd concussion, that insane Suter crosscheck to the face. Got worse after the Stevens hit knocked him cold.

Imagine if Crosby didn't have his extended break from hockey to address his concussion symptoms and furthermore played the rest of the game. Paul Kariya can't even remember anything from Game 6 or 7 of the 2003 Finals, or anything 2 days after. That's insane brain trauma, and it should have been a career death sentence for a cerebral player like Kariya. The fact that he still put up very good numbers for the remainder of his career is reason enough to be a HOFer.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Kariya is there based on his own merit. He's just humble.
Well there just might be some merit to this (as Kariya himself said). We at the history of hockey forum (we are old enough to actually see them play) voted Kariya as 38th best winger iirc. It's just at the cut of players who gets to Hall of Fame. (Selanne sitting comfortable at 15th). Now if he hadn't had Selanne boosting his numbers where would he have landed? 50th 45th? Not gonna get in then most likely.

However it's an interesting topic. I think Kariya deserves the spot.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
What a stupid thread.

Was Kariya really walking around the past x amount of years bragging he is better than Selanne?

They both got in together, belong in there together, and are happy together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad