Paul Kariya finally admits he wouldn't be in the Hall of fame without Selanne

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Many here on HF Boards seem to think that Paul Kariya was super elite and that he was on par with Teemu Selanne. Some have even tried to push the false narrative that he's superior to Selanne. Personally I've always been of the opinion that Kariya was Robin and Selanne was Batman. Or if we put it in hockey terms, Kariya was Marleau and Selanne was Thonton.

But now that Kariya made the hall of fame he finally admits in his speech that he wouldn't have made it without Selanne: Highlights from Hockey Hall of Fame speeches

Kariya said the following about Selanne: "And Teemu, I simply would not be standing here tonight if I didn't get the chance to play with you."

Truer Words have never been spoken.

Selanne of course thanked Kariya too but he never said he wouldn't have made the hall without him.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
peak kariya was a hall of fame player. he was top 5 in the league for many years.

the only reason his numbers aren't better are because of concussions. he dramatically changed after getting his bell rung by so many hits that would be deemed suspension worthy in today's nhl.

Did he benefit from playing with Selanne. Hell yeah, but who wouldn't.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Many here on HF Boards seem to think that Paul Kariya was super elite and that he was on par with Teemu Selanne. Some have even tried to push the false narrative that he's superior to Selanne. Personally I've always been of the opinion that Kariya was Robin and Selanne was Batman. Or if we put it in hockey terms, Kariya was Marleau and Selanne was Thonton.

But now that Kariya made the hall of fame he finally admits in his speech that he wouldn't have made it without Selanne: Highlights from Hockey Hall of Fame speeches

Kariya said the following about Selanne: "And Teemu, I simply would not be standing here tonight if I didn't get the chance to play with you."

Truer Words have never been spoken.

Selanne of course thanked Kariya too but he never said he wouldn't have made the hall without him.

Yes Kariya did say that. But there is no way we could find out if that is true or not. Kariya wouldn't even know. To find out if that is true we need a time machine to go back in 1996 and not make that trade and wait for Kariya to retired. Then wait for him to be eligible for the hhof.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kariya would have been a first ballot Hall of Famer without Selanne if it wasn't for Gary Suter and Scott Stevens. He was ridiculously talented and would compliment whoever he played with. Think of Kane career getting derailed 3 years ago, but he stuck around being a fringe star, and then thanked Toews and Keith for getting in. It might be true, but Kariya was as skilled as Teemu in their primes.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Selanne as a Duck:
394 games played
225 goals
482 points

Kariya as a Duck:
395 games played
225 goals
492 points

Kariya had slightly better numbers, and was also slightly better in Colorado. This all while being concussed several times. I think Kariya was the better player when they played together, but Selanne had the better career (not close). I loved both of them and I don't think there's been a duo quite as fun since.

Edit: As someone pointed out, I may have not been clear. The totals above are when they played together. That does not include Kariya's Rookie season, or Selanne's seasons as a Duck after Colorado.

Last edited:

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
peak kariya was a hall of fame player. he was top 5 in the league for many years.

the only reason his numbers aren't better are because of concussions. he dramatically changed after getting his bell rung by so many hits that would be deemed suspension worthy in today's nhl.

I think at his peak he was up there in the top 3; he would have been a legit MVP candidate on a better team around '96 or '97. Problem is, his peak only lasted about 2-3 years. After that, the combo of concussion fears and his continual one-year qualifying offer deals pretty much forced him into being a perimeter player only, since he had no long-term contractual security.

I also think the shrinking of the neutral zone hurt him more than people realize, because his best strength was his speed on the rush forcing defenders to back up, and not so much about having extra room in the offensive zone.

After his peak he was still really good, but no longer MVP caliber.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
LOL, Selanne had a wrecked knee while playing for the Avs and those selective stats work with Selanne way past his prime. If anything, they underline that Selanne was the better of the two.

Selective stats of the entire time they played together?

And please explain how Kariya's stats being better while they were together somehow proves Selanne is actually better? lol

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Selective stats of the entire time they played together?

And please explain how Kariya's stats being better while they were together somehow proves Selanne is actually better? lol

He probably thought you quoted all Selanne's games with the Ducks. It's obvious by looking at the totals that you didn't, but if one makes that mistake then it's understandable to say what the poster said.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Just a stupid thread and a stupid argument. Of course he was going to say that because they were magic together with Teemu. That proves nothing.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad