Player Discussion: Patrik Laine Part VII: Eliitti! - Mod Warning Post #79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
How does any of what you said make the coach a joke?

He's currently coaching a team with a 10-4-3 record. The joke (at least for the moment) is on those who are placing Laine's individual statistical success above that of the entire Jets team.

Who are those, that are placing Laine's individual statistical success over the Jets?

I have only read meta discussion about those, often by canadians complaining about the issue. But never seen anyone on these boards to actually do so. To me, that seems to be a baseless claim that is circulating all over again.

To get working 2 top lines instead of 1 working top line should be one of the top priorities by Maurice to _continue winning_, which is always hard.

I hate to see guys bashing eg. Ehlers by saying he is selfish or not a very good player. There has been clear and visible problems on Ehlers' play that are fair to point out, but telling that he is selfish and not good player is just stupid and sad.

PS. I usually do 't read messages by "the hockey professor" and an another troll, so they might have put Laine's individual success over the team success.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
How does any of what you said make the coach a joke?

He's currently coaching a team with a 10-4-3 record. The joke (at least for the moment) is on those who are placing Laine's individual statistical success above that of the entire Jets team.

No, the real joke are those who still don't understand the argument and think it's about Laines stats.

How can you guys go through pages of lengthy explanations about getting the most out of your lineup, backed by statistics and eye test, and still keep insisting it's just about Laines stats for some? That's the running joke here.

I'd put Ehlers in with Laine and Chef even though I think Perreault would work better than Ehlers for Laines stats. It's about improving your lines to utilize the maximum out of the pieces.

We don't allow or expect players to stop practicing and improving just because the team is winning more than losing. We don't see that kind of complacency acceptable. Do we?

Why are you guys arguing that we should allow not improving when it comes to the coach and lines when the team is winning more than losing?

We Just expect it from players but not coaches?

A car with a flat tire still moves but it's not healthy or optimal for the long run , just ruins your car if you keep running it with a flat for too long

Last edited:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
We don't allow or expect players to stop practicing and improving just because the team is winning more than losing. We don't see that kind of complacency acceptable. Do we?

Why are you guys arguing that we should allow not improving when it comes to the coach and lines when the team is winning more than losing?

We Just expect it from players but not coaches?

Maurice only changes every 578 losses. We're just about due.

Reactions: Halberdier

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
What perverted fantasy is this? Don't ever question the hockey professor.

All hail Skroob!

O5DItyg.gif

Reactions: grieves

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
https://thehockeywriters.com/patrik-laine-winnipeg-jets-improving/

"Laine Needs Some Selfishness"

"Your teammates will forgive your selfishness, trust me. Your selfishness will result in goals. The fans will love it. The rest of the league will be mortified by it."

"I would love to see Laine shoot from everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Heck, kid, shoot from center if you like. If you don’t see a lane for a clean entry to the zone, blast one at the goalie. I guarantee you’ll drive the goalies nuts. You’ll create tough saves and rebounds, and every now and then you’ll catch one of them napping."

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I agree with the above, that Laine should shoot a lot more.

He was garbage tonight. I feel like the more games there are the better he plays. And if there's a 3-4 day break he's out of it again.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I just don't understand how that shootout move keeps working, he literally uses the same move everytime, you'd think goalies would do some research before the game.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I just don't understand how that shootout moves keeps working, he literally uses the same move everytime, you'd think goalies would do some research before the game.

I agree with this.
He's 4 / 5 on shootouts and I think 1/2 on actual breakaways with this move. (with the Jets)
At this point I'm expecting him to fake this move and go somewhere else.
Maybe that's what he is thinking and the goalies keep giving him option A.

When it doesn't work it looks really bad because everyone and their dog knew he was shooting there.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I think the line changes many are clamoring for will happen mid-game in the near'ish future in a game that we are down in.

There's no shortage of line combos that can work (including the current set up).
Hockey has a massive component of luck built into it and pro athletes have shown how much their own play is often a mental problem vs a physical one.

2 months from now ELL could be on fire.
Currently they are well short of that.

Connor and Ehlers could easily swap to see if that jars loose a better connection.
MP can also be in the mix.
It's a nice problem for the team to have when you look back at the 2011 roster.

The fact is if Ehlers was on one of his hot streaks this line would look amazing.

But wins are wins and the Jets are finding all kinds of ways to do that right now.
Like it or not Mo will ride C-S-W until this team falters (more than one loss... or a real big blowout)
in my opinion

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Need a honest take in my question below:

Maybe someone can explain Maurice logic also.

Why is Kyle Connor being given that prime 1st line slots instead of Laine.
May argument will be :
Laine will produce better than Connor on that line, probably double his output.
Laine and the whole 2nd line almost zero production 5 on 5 and its been many games.

If we will run practically 1 super line
Why not laine scheifele and wheeler?

Thanks

Reactions: Ippenator

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb

May argument will be :
Laine will produce better than Connor on that line, probably double his output.
Laine and the whole 2nd line almost zero production 5 on 5 and its been many games.

If we will run practically 1 super line
Why not laine scheifele and wheeler?
isn't the problem with running a super line that they are always against the other teams top defensive pairing?

Thanks
isn't the problem that they would always face the other teams top defensive pairing?

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
isn't the problem that they would always face the other teams top defensive pairing?

They were scoring at a ridiculous pace last year so if they are eating the top defensive pairing while they are at it, then yes please, let's do that. ESL was a great line and this year they would be even greater. If you score a million goals, it does not really matter what your weaknesses are (even though they are further mitigated by having the youngsters mature year after year).

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Laine doesn't need to be more selfish. He was selfish at the beginning of the season and nothing good didn't happen. If he plays with Little he should play simple & fast passing game, without one-man show. His dekes doesn't work with Little at all, because he isn't able to support them with good positioning like Scheifele does. Dirty work & fast passing game is only way to success with Little, at least for Laine.

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
hello. long important post got autodeleted. damit. bye

O ´Connor walked right in from farmlegue to first line. question : did armia also walk in to first line from farmleague once? armia is better player and has to suffert here at Winnipegs. i dont understand this. armia first round pick. he has to do Dirty cleanjobs here at Winnipegs with small amount of Money . soon other 1st rounder O´connor put name again at paper for bigger moneydeal. armia is this fair? you are better. also 1st line is LAINES Place. in no way O´connor should be there now. maybe setting sheifele to 3rd line for spreading talant?.

avgard hockeyprofessor

Last edited:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Laine has a bet with his cousin that he is not gonna shave, and he is not gonna switch up the shoot-out move.

What an awkward place to be as a goaltender though. "Is he gonna do it again, I bet that's what he wants me to think, but I won't be fooled. Dammit I got fooled"

Laine playing the meta game.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I didn't have time to watch the game, but couple of shifts. Laine might have been bad in general, but on those shifts I did see including 2 powerplays, I was furious: why oh why they didn't even try to pass Laine for an one-timer? Two PP opportunities for PP1 completely ruined by that. And Laine definitely did play himself to the position for that shot, almost similar way when he just walked into the center and basically robbed the puck from Wheeler and put it into the net.

No. Single. Attempt. To. Pass.

Pathetic, stupid and wrong. What were they thinking? They have the best one-timer on the league available, and they completely ignore it? On 6-on-5 that shot got finally used, which in turn opened more space for Scheifele & Wheeler, which they beautifully used to the maximum.

The only bright side of that was that Perreault and Armia did finish that fine odd man rush on PP2 after ruined opportunity for PP1. I wish Perreault or Armia would be soon playing with Laine, as they are looking for those quick, nice passes.

tl;dr Laine should shoot more, but the other guys need also to take their head out of their a**** and pass the puck for shooting position!

Reactions: Ippenator

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Thanks

One rumour from the summer is that Scheifele doesn't want Laine on his wing.

I am starting to buy into that one. Laine loses posession a lot and Scheifele looked visibly frustrated on at least a couple of occasions recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad