Player Discussion: Patrik Laine Part VII: Eliitti! - Mod Warning Post #79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Well...

Little having a great career and level of production up to this season doesn't improve the play on the ice currently.

Are we hoping to fix the situation or pretend there is no issues in that line?

E-S-L
P-L-W

Should be the top 6 when Perreault is back. Could be C-L-W until then.

Those are suggestions for improvements in play and getting most out of all of them combined.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That might get more out of the line up but it's not about getting the most out of your line up it's about winning which is already happening.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
That might get more out of the line up but it's not about getting the most out of your line up it's about winning which is already happening.
The more you get out of your lineup the more you will win eventually. So no point to settle with just wins with mediocre play, as that is usually a lot based on good luck and smoking hot goaltending. And neither of those will never last very long consistently. But if you get the most out of your lineup, you have a much better chance to win even with a bit worse luck or worse goaltending...

Treskov

Oct 12, 2017
Turku Finland
13+ minutes again. Connor, Scheifele and Wheelers had 17+ 19+ 18+. A fine example where he is at in the food chain. Don't think I even saw him on the ice during 4vs4. This is a player you want to keep on the ice as much as possible, but sometimes it seems as if Maurice forgets he even exists. If there wasn't for the start of the season where Pate was icing third line minutes I probably wouldn't even care that much but now you just kind of wonder why he's being wasted away this way.

Anyway, despite the lack of TOI think he had pretty good game. If he was a bit more selfish and had Ehlers made the pass, Laine would be running on a 6 consecutive game goal streak. Kind of funny whenever one of them is replaced or not on the ice then they score goals. If that's not a sign then I'm not sure what is.

He was on the ice during 4 vs 4, with Ehlers. That´s kind of hazard :) Can´t remember wich d pair thou.

Ehlers seems kind of lost somehow. When MP returns, i would like to see: 27-55-26, 85-18-29, 81-17-9, 16-15-40.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
A dozen pages later, people still fail to see that coaches do not like to change winning lineups.

Besides, shouldn't all this roster talk be in another thread?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Well...

Little having a great career and level of production up to this season doesn't improve the play on the ice currently.

Are we hoping to fix the situation or pretend there is no issues in that line?

E-S-L
P-L-W

Should be the top 6 when Perreault is back. Could be C-L-W until then.

Those are suggestions for improvements in play and getting most out of all of them combined.
I agree. Little becomes instantly better with P and W. All six of those guys become instantly more effective imo.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
He was T 3rd on the team in assists last season with 39......he doesn't play with blinders and is a supremely gifted offensive player. He's just in a lull, for now.

75th ranked player in primary assists in the NHL last season, 4th on the Jets.

I do watch Ehlers, he has great play making ability, which fortunately is still developing.

I think you just see what you already believe is true.

Both Ehlers and Laine benefited from playing with Scheifele last season, the same way Connor is benefiting from playing with him now. I'd also put my money on Ehlers being a guy able to drive a line sooner than Laine at this point.

I have no problem with the argument that LSE would be a very effective line if put back together, it would and I agree with it. It doesn't mean it has to happen for all of the players to be effective.

The portrayals of Little and Ehlers in this thread are borderline embarrassing. The descriptions of their games make me question how much many in here have actually watched them play. I'd have a hard time believing it's been a whole lot.
Little has been a consistent point producer in this league for years, he's an offensively talented player.
Ehlers has been a dynamic play maker since Jr. He has never been regarded as a selfish, one dimensional player. It's complete nonsense, sorry if that sounds harsh.

100% agree Ducky10.

Reactions: Ducky10

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
There are many players that have bought into the style of play that they need to win, at the expense of their individual stats. It's a good team.

Reactions: Treskov

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
A dozen pages later, people still fail to see that coaches do not like to change winning lineups.

Besides, shouldn't all this roster talk be in another thread?
Not all coaches are like that. It is conservative, rigid and stubborn coaches like Maurice, McLellan, etc. whom are like that. But their teams usually don’t do well, at least in the long run. The best coaches have courage and innovative thinking and they dare to do some experiments, learn from them and evolve as coaches. Maurice doesn’t.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Not all coaches are like that. It is conservative, rigid and stubborn coaches like Maurice, McLellan, etc. whom are like that. But their teams usually don’t do well, at least in the long run. The best coaches have courage and innovative thinking. Maurice doesn’t.
I suggest you visit the Blackhawks and Penguins threads sometime and see them bashing their coaches lineup decisions as much as we do. Hawks fans were legit calling for their coach to be fired earlier this season.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Reading through this thread sometimes, you'd think that some people would prefer if the 1st line was simple just Scheifele-Laine, and that's it.

Literally every other player in the top 6 has been called not top 6 worthy at one point or another. It's ridiculous that it's gone full circle and come back to bashing Ehlers.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I suggest you visit the Blackhawks and Penguins threads sometime and see them bashing their coaches lineup decisions as much as we do. Hawks fans were legit calling for their coach to be fired earlier this season.
Coaches will always be criticised when the team is performing worse than is expected from them. The Pens and the Hawks have had several pretty bad games already at the start of this season, so their coaches decisions should be at least questioned. But those coaches have exactly done very nice and interesting experiments that have already started to pay some rewards. Just as examples, giving good chances for success for young players like DeBrincat, Hartman, Guentzel and Murray. At the same time Maurice lets his promising youngsters rot in the AHL and gives them any chances in the NHL team only if some injuries occur and chooses to play two lines of plugs even more than his most promising youngsters, whom he decided to throw into the the deep end of the pool by themselves before they have learned to swim.

Just disgusting and conservative coaching that I immensely despise. The complete opposite from Jukka Jalonen (Jokerit coach at the moment, and former two time world championships winning coach, whom will thank God start again as the Finnish national team coach next year), whom is the ideal type of coach for any team that has young and very talented players. But coaches like Maurice are like a cancer and plague at the same time for the kind of young and talented roster that the Jets have.

Say what you say about having a pretty good win record this season. I say that it has come completely despite Maurice being the coach. If they had a real good coach, they would be even clearly better in the standings, and the youngsters would also be flourishing compared to the struggling that they are having because of Maurice pulling the rug constantly under them.

Jeesh, I’m so frustrated with this coach, and all of you who really seem to believe that he is a good coach.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Coaches will always be critisized when the team is performing worse than is expected from them. The Pens and the Hawks have had several pretty bad games already at the start of this season, so their coaches decisions should be at least questioned. But those coaches have exactly done very nice and interesting experiments that have already started to pay some rewards. Just as examples, giving good chances for success for young players like DeBrincat, Hartman, Guentzel and Murray. At the same time Maurice lets his promising youngsters for in the AHL and gives them any chances in the NHL team only if some injuries occur and chooses to play two lines of plugs even more than his most promising youngsters, whom he decided to throw into the the deep end of the pool by themselves before they have learned to swim.

Just disgusting and conservative coaching that I immensely despise. The complete opposite from Jukka Jalonen (Jokerit coach at the moment, and former two time world championships winning coach, whom will thank God start again as the Finnish national team coach next year), whom is the ideal type of coach for any team that has you T and very talented players. But coaches like Maurice are like a cancer and plague at the same time for the kind of talented roster that the Jets have.

Say what you say about having pretty good win record this season. I say that I has come completely despite Maurice being the coach. If they had a real good coach, they would be even clearly better in the standings, and the youngsters would also be flourishing compared to the struggling that they are doing because of Maurice pulling the rug constantly under them.

Jeesh, I’m so frustrated with this coach, and all of you who really seem to believe that he is a good coach.
You really have not had a look around these boards if you think anyone here thinks Maurice is a "good coach" but that doesn't mean we think he's a cancer.

He's given youth plenty of chances while he's been here but I won't argue with you, as I guess you'll say he only gives the "bad" youth chances, like Ehlers the "not a very good player".

Reactions: Gotaf7

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Reading through this thread sometimes, you'd think that some people would prefer if the 1st line was simple just Scheifele-Laine, and that's it.

Literally every other player in the top 6 has been called not top 6 worthy at one point or another. It's ridiculous that it's gone full circle and come back to bashing Ehlers.
I have at least said that in my opinion Laine’s ideal linemates would be Scheifele and Perreault. I am convinced that it would be the best possible line for the Jets. And with that as the first line, it would give also a good chance to build a much, much better second line than what ELL is.

I also believe that Roslovic, Connor or even Armia and Lowry would be better linemates for Laine than Ehlers and Little. And I mean this with the chemistry and the suitable roles, not skillwise.

At least a good coach would dare to do some experiments with the three lines after the first line. But what does Maurice do? He just continues playing his plug lines and keeping his thumb in his ass. What a joke of a coach really!

Last edited:

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I don’t think Maurice has that much say over how much chances are given to youth. That’s up to management that sets the long term vision. NHL is complicated with waivers etc. that teams in Europe don’t really have to deal with.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I have at least said that in my opinion Laine’s ideal linemates would be Scheifele and Perreault. I am convinced that it would be the best possible line for the Jets. And with that as the first line, it would give also a good chance to build a much, much better second line than what ELL is.

I also believe that Roslovic, Connor or even Armia and Lowry would be better linemates for Laine than Ehlers and Little. At least a good coach would dare to do some experiments with the three lines after the first line. But what does Maurice do? He just continues playing his plug lines and keeping his thumb in his ass. What a joke of a coach really!

How does any of what you said make the coach a joke?

He's currently coaching a team with a 10-4-3 record. The joke (at least for the moment) is on those who are placing Laine's individual statistical success above that of the entire Jets team.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Well I do think that a Scheifele-Laine Little-Wheeler setup would be significantly more successful and it's not that difficult to support that opinion.

I'd rather see Laine with Lowry than Little at this point. Little's just not doing anything for the line, whether you like it or not. By the way, I haven't been a fan of Ehlers's game the past few games that I've seen either. So that does seem like somewhat fair criticism. But he was doing fine before being put to this line, so the reasons for him not doing so well might have something to do with that.

He's currently coaching a team with a 10-4-3 record. The joke (at least for the moment) is on those who are placing Laine's individual statistical success above that of the entire Jets team.
Well, the advanced stats are poor in every regard. At this point in the season, those are significantly more predictive of a team's success than its record. And that as well as the eye test really are the main reasons I'm not really OK with the team's play thus far.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

I am thinking exactly of how the Jets would get at least two very good offensive lines, preferably even three of them, instead of scraping points with average to subpar play, with smoking hot goaltending and some pretty nice luck so far. Those factors will for sure not continue consistently through the whole season, so the Jets are in for a very rough ride, if they will not get more lines working than the first line. And honestly even the first line has showed some pretty worrying signs of getting pretty badly hemmed to their own end, even against Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad