Player Discussion: Patrik Laine Part VII: Eliitti! - Mod Warning Post #79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I feel like this a bit of an overreaction based on a few games. Ehlers is the best option to use as Laine's winger IMO. From time to time they show brilliant chemistry. Just need to be more consistent together and rely more on Laine when it comes to finishing the play.
Except it is not based on just a few games. With last years games included they have been playing already close to 40 games in the same line. And honestly they have not shown much of chemistry in the same line even when they both played with Scheifele. And even then I dare to say that it was not about good chemistry between Laine and Ehlers, except just a few nice plays in the beginning of last season. The real chemistry on that line was about Scheifele having good chemistry with both of them. But anyway as we already know, Scheifele is great with any players.

Laine and Ehlers are absolutely not a fit at all, and I’m basing this on about thirty games that I have seen them play on the same line. They are an absolutely horrible fit and should not play on the same line at all. They are Kryptonite to each others scoring, and unfortunately I don’t see this changing at all, at least not in the near future.

Last edited:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Ehlers is hungry for production and is probably tilting and making worse decisions because of it. You could see how much Little wanted that goal too. He willed that goal for himself.

ELL is probably having a psychological effect on its members who are very skilled offensively but are put in a situation to fail. Laine has his PP production to fall back to so he is probably the most fine. Nothing in this world comes for free and this line setup is being paid for by demoralizing ELL.

As for chemistry, I've never seen that much of it, but I've never seen this kind of lack for it either. If Ehlers was just a little luckier at scoring on break-aways, we would probably see them in a better light.

I don't measure any player based on their perfomance on that offensively putrid line.

Last edited:

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Was following game through the report on nhl.com, first it gave assist to Laine alone and then to Myers alone. Took painfully long for video to show up. I guess Laine has the assist now.

Trying to watch nhl when traveling has to be the most frustrating thing ever. Viaplay works great in Finland but unless I bring a device with VPN there’s no watching games on business trips. Many countries dont really have any service to watch with, nhl keeps bombarding me with phone app offers that I can’t get from Finnish shop.. In London I even used 3G to watch because that worked while hotel WIFI did not (cost probably more than tickets to the game). Sorry for off-topic.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Laine & Lowry goal was good example what Pate is able to do with different center. Little positioning doesn't match to Pate's vision good enough.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
13+ minutes again. Connor, Scheifele and Wheelers had 17+ 19+ 18+. A fine example where he is at in the food chain. Don't think I even saw him on the ice during 4vs4. This is a player you want to keep on the ice as much as possible, but sometimes it seems as if Maurice forgets he even exists. If there wasn't for the start of the season where Pate was icing third line minutes I probably wouldn't even care that much but now you just kind of wonder why he's being wasted away this way.

Anyway, despite the lack of TOI think he had pretty good game. If he was a bit more selfish and had Ehlers made the pass, Laine would be running on a 6 consecutive game goal streak. Kind of funny whenever one of them is replaced or not on the ice then they score goals. If that's not a sign then I'm not sure what is.

Reactions: Couchcaptain

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
yeah..hardworking intelligent big strong good passer areamaker lowry would also be good for laines line. but as said ...laine must play in first line..there is no other thing....this Little/Ehlers/buff thing for laine is a crime of huge!

if the coach long here stay still this can harm laines career. big strong armia has treated to a teddybeer here hided to very small role in shitline. soon enough he talks speaking of laine when boy totally lost selfconfidence after bad treatment long time ...he maybe talks about laine then like of an onedimensional shooter that must play in 2nd 3rd line with some PPtime because he despite has great shot. favouring his own players and perverted ideas of who is a good player

avgard professor of hockey

Reactions: Asiantuntija

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
yeah..hardworking intelligent big strong good passer areamaker lowry would also be good for laines line. but as said ...laine must play in first line..there is no other thing....this Little/Ehlers/buff thing for laine is a crime of huge!

if the coach long here stay still this can harm laines career. big strong armia has treated to a teddybeer here hided to very small role in ****line. soon enough he talks speaking of laine when boy totally lost selfconfidence after bad treatment long time ...he maybe talks about laine then like of an onedimensional shooter that must play in 2nd 3rd line with some PPtime because he despite has great shot. favouring his own players and perverted ideas of who is a good player

avgard professor of hockey
Lowry and Laine would probably be very good, but I want to see Laine playing 20 minutes. Lowry, not so much.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Laine & Lowry goal was good example what Pate is able to do with different center. Little positioning doesn't match to Pate's vision good enough.
Describe what Lowry did there that would be so different from Little? Honestly, Lowry didn't do anything special there, he was tracking the play back and was the recipient of a bad turnover.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
It's hard to determine if his play this season is due to his off season workout regiment, his line-mates, or the coaching system that is in place. He certainly has been less noticeable so far this season (even with the 5 game goal streak).

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It's hard to determine if his play this season is due to his off season workout regiment, his line-mates, or the coaching system that is in place. He certainly has been less noticeable so far this season (even with the 5 game goal streak).

His defence has been far and away better this year though. I really think this is a conscious decision for him and the Jets.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
13+ minutes again. Connor, Scheifele and Wheelers had 17+ 19+ 18+. A fine example where he is at in the food chain. Don't think I even saw him on the ice during 4vs4. This is a player you want to keep on the ice as much as possible, but sometimes it seems as if Maurice forgets he even exists. If there wasn't for the start of the season where Pate was icing third line minutes I probably wouldn't even care that much but now you just kind of wonder why he's being wasted away this way.

Anyway, despite the lack of TOI think he had pretty good game. If he was a bit more selfish and had Ehlers made the pass, Laine would be running on a 6 consecutive game goal streak. Kind of funny whenever one of them is replaced or not on the ice then they score goals. If that's not a sign then I'm not sure what is.

13mins is too low for that talent.
And the kid is not lacking on effort.

But hey team won

GO JETS GO

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
13mins is too low for that talent.
And the kid is not lacking on effort.

But hey team won

GO JETS GO
His minutes didn't go to Connor, it went to Copp, Lowry, Tanev, mainly because the Jets were short handed for 12 minutes but also because that line was playing well. Ehlers, Laine and Little all had lower TOI than those three.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Describe what Lowry did there that would be so different from Little? Honestly, Lowry didn't do anything special there, he was tracking the play back and was the recipient of a bad turnover.

He had better position. Maybe those kind of situations wouid happen more often, if he starts to play with Pate.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
He had better position. Maybe those kind of situations wouid happen more often, if he starts to play with Pate.

Over a long stretch of games it weighs out very obviously that Little will score WAY more then Lowry. Lowry's 5 on 5 production is around that of a decent 4th liner. Little has always produced at a 1st line / high end 2nd line in pts / game. That sigh of relief from his goal is likely the start of a better stretch. Once Perreault finds his legs slap him with Little and Laine and I think we see some nice results. MP (when he's going) can boost anyone's performance.

I hope a coach shows Ehlers the plays where he so obviously should have passed last night. It's fine to take the shot and switch it up especially as goalies will cheat towards Laine but when you look at the replays a couple of them scream pass!

Hopefully the big guns on the team find their touch because this weekend looks to be a lot tougher. Secondary scoring isn't going to cut it on its own!

Last edited:
Reactions: Festinator

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

1st 4v4 pair was Scheif and Wheeler, 2nd was Connor and Little, 3rd was Ehlers and Laine. Wasn't much 4v4 left but they did play

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
I know that Ehlers fans don’t like this, but unfortunately I have to say that Ehlers is not a very good player, although his skating is really out of this world. But hockey is still so much more than just skating. I honestly don’t see much more than fabulous skating in his game. He is really going like crazy everywhere with and without the puck, but smart things that he does are really honestly very rare. He can use his skating very nicely when he gets some space, but unfortunately that is all the good stuff that I see in his game really.

He seems pretty selfish also, and is not at all really a good playmaker, as even his pass quality is pretty bad when he after all decides to pass, instead of blasting the puck blindly somewhere high or wide. And he is losing still way too much battles. The puck really dies to his stick most of the time and he doesn’t seem capable of doing any real good and creative plays anymore.

Maybe it has to do also with the bad chemistry in ELL, but I’m not really completely buying it, as so far I have seen really no kind of chemistry even between Laine and Ehlers, so it is not just about Little with them. The selfishness and the blinders on his eyes are what are bothering me the most about Ehlers. This kind of player would go well only with a very good playmaking center, whom could feed him to use his speed on the rush constantly, but there is absolutely no use to play him with one of the best shooters in the game, as both, Ehlers’s speed and Laine’s shot become completely misused in this way.

I just simply can’t understand why some people seriously think that Laine and Ehlers have great chemistry on the ice. And I seriously doubt if they are going to have good chemistry in the future even off the ice, if Ehlers keeps playing as selfish way as he has been doing. I think the kid really could use a wake up call.
Sometimes I agree with you but this post I have to disagree completely!! Ehlers a bad player.. hmm. I Will not take the bait ;) simple Because I Like Laine :) ehlers just lack confidens

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Sometimes I agree with you but this post I have to disagress completely!! Ehlers a bad player.. hmm. I Will not take the bait ;) simple Because I Like Laine :)
I didn’t really mean to call him a bad player. I just said that he is not a very good player. And as a skater he is definitely one of the best in the league. His weaknesses though are pretty obvious in my opinion, and there are way too many of them for him to be a very good player at least yet.

I do admit that he does have a lot of potential and he is still quite young, so I can see there pretty good chances that he can still develop his weaknesses a lot. But this is how I see him anyway as a player at the moment. The blinders and the certain selfishness that I started realizing pretty soon during last season are the things that have bothered me the most about him.

I do still hope very much that he will develop into a great player. I just don’t see him there yet, and he has still a quite long way to get there. Thanks for your civilized comment anyway, and I honestly wish all the best for all the Jets players and the team altogether. Go Jets, go!

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
f*** me Liane was playing ball hockey with a Sharks AAA team at my kids day care today.
I didn't see him as I didn't get close enough to see what was going on in the rink. Ugh!

Edit: lousy autocorrect!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaibu

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I didn’t really mean to call him a bad player. I just said that he is not a very good player. And as a skater he is definitely one of the best in the league. His weaknesses though are pretty obvious in my opinion, and there are way too many of them for him to be a very good player at least yet.

I do admit that he does have a lot of potential and he is still quite young, so I can see there pretty good chances that he can still develop his weaknesses a lot. But this is how I see him anyway as a player at the moment. The blinders and the certain selfishness that I started realizing pretty soon during last season are the things that have bothered me the most about him.

I do still hope very much that he will develop into a great player. I just don’t see him there yet, and he has still a quite long way to get there. Thanks for your civilized comment anyway, and I honestly wish all the best for all the Jets players and the team altogether. Go Jets, go!
He was T 3rd on the team in assists last season with 39......he doesn't play with blinders and is a supremely gifted offensive player. He's just in a lull, for now.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He was T 3rd on the team in assists last season with 39......he doesn't play with blinders and is a supremely gifted offensive player. He's just in a lull, for now.
He played with so offensively talented players and he himself was messing a lot of great goal scoring chances, and these two things lead to him having a lot more of assists than goals. Of course he had some nice assists too, but not nearly as many, as that assist total could make you think. Quite often he got an assist through his great skating by getting the puck to the offensive zone and just dropping it off to Scheifele or Laine, and by those two scoring loads of goals Ehlers got also many easy assists.

Of course what he did was important and lead into good plays, but I wouldn’t call it honestly real good playmaking. And now that there is no Scheifele in the line, even this play doesn’t seem to work that well with Little as the center. But anyway, seriously, Ehlers is not a good playmaker. Just pay even more attention to how he plays, and you should really realize it.

Reactions: Couchcaptain

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
He played with so offensively talented players and he himself was messing a lot of great goal scoring chances, and these two things lead to him having a lot more of assists than goals. Of course he had some nice assists too, but not nearly as many, as that assist total could make you think. Quite often he got an assist through his great skating by getting the puck to the offensive zone and just dropping it off to Scheifele or Laine, and by those two scoring loads of goals Ehlers got also many easy assists.

Of course what he did was important and lead into good plays, but I wouldn’t call it honestly real good playmaking. And now that there is no Scheifele in the line, even this play doesn’t seem to work that well with Little as the center. But anyway, seriously, Ehlers is not a good playmaker. Just pay even more attention to how he plays, and you should really realize it.
75th ranked player in primary assists in the NHL last season, 4th on the Jets.

I do watch Ehlers, he has great play making ability, which fortunately is still developing.

I think you just see what you already believe is true.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
75th ranked player in primary assists in the NHL last season, 4th on the Jets.

I do watch Ehlers, he has great play making ability, which fortunately is still developing.

I think you just see what you already believe is true.
No he isn’t, he just simply isn’t. And that is a big reason why Laine and Ehlers do not work together at all, unless they have a great real playmaker center, which at the moment only Scheifele is in the Jets.

Laine plays extremely well if he gets very good playmaking passers next to him, but he is almost useless offensively, if he doesn’t have any of them in his line. This is exactly why Perreault and Scheifele worked so well with Laine last season. Laine is great in what he does well, and he has in addition to his great shot also very good passing skills and high hockey IQ. But his weaknesses make him pretty much incapacitated at the moment if he doesn’t get to play with this type of players at all.

Hopefully at some point Laine can be more like Scheifele as a line driver, but at the moment he is not that close to it yet. This is why he should not play with players like Ehlers or Little, as neither of them are real classic playmakers.

And I honestly think that it is exactly you who believes in Ehlers being a good playmaker, although he isn’t. Of course you have to somehow be able to justify his pretty high assist totals from last season, as you clearly don’t want to admit that he benefitted so much from playing with Scheifele, and even Laine, last season.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
No he isn’t, he just simply isn’t. And that is a big reason why Laine and Ehlers do not work together at all, unless they have a great real playmaker center, which at the moment only Scheifele is in the Jets.

Laine plays extremely well if he gets very good playmaking passers next to him, but he is almost useless offensively, if he doesn’t have any of them in his line. This is exactly why Perreault and Scheifele worked so well with Laine last season. Laine is great in what he does well, and he has in addition to his great shot also very good passing skills and high hockey IQ. But his weaknesses make him pretty much incapacitated at the moment if he doesn’t get to play with this type of players at all.

Hopefully at some point Laine can be more like Scheifele as a line driver, but at the moment he is not that close to it yet. This is why he should not play with players like Ehlers or Little, as neither of them are real classic playmakers.

And I honestly think that it is exactly you who believes in Ehlers being a good playmaker, although he isn’t. Of course you have to somehow be able to justify his pretty high assist totals from last season, as you clearly don’t want to admit that he benefitted so much from playing with Scheifele, and even Laine, last season.

Both Ehlers and Laine benefited from playing with Scheifele last season, the same way Connor is benefiting from playing with him now. I'd also put my money on Ehlers being a guy able to drive a line sooner than Laine at this point.

I have no problem with the argument that LSE would be a very effective line if put back together, it would and I agree with it. It doesn't mean it has to happen for all of the players to be effective.

The portrayals of Little and Ehlers in this thread are borderline embarrassing. The descriptions of their games make me question how much many in here have actually watched them play. I'd have a hard time believing it's been a whole lot.
Little has been a consistent point producer in this league for years, he's an offensively talented player.
Ehlers has been a dynamic play maker since Jr. He has never been regarded as a selfish, one dimensional player. It's complete nonsense, sorry if that sounds harsh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->