Player Discussion: Patrik Laine Part VII: Eliitti! - Mod Warning Post #79

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Finnish posters on this board were probably just 1 period away from seeing some line juggling that they have been so desperate for. I am now onboard with moving players around in the top-6, although with Connor scoring tonight I can't see Maurice breaking up that line for a few games atleast.
It's very frustrating to see so much talent on 2nd line but absolutely no results. 1st line might be working but I don't think they alone are better than having 2 solid scoring lines

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
YQRkLR8.png

After Arizona game, Laine's season Shooting % and career Shooting % percentage curves merge together. Someone would say "finally".

For comparison: First 16 games of Laine's career.
qwJmci6.png

Naturally Sh% curve didn't mean anything over such small sample then, but now his career sample is enough big for making some conclusions about his goal scoring finesses. It IS NOT a bubble. Eye test proved that already long ago. Now stats over the sample are starting to prove it too.

Only that structural and systematic mis-utilization... uh... that makes it only harder.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
@ old timer Jets fans:

Did you push the panic button when Jets #13 had twice 4-games goalless streak during season '92-93...

...that ended pretty well then, after all?

EDIT: That legendary Jets rookie #13 played 22 seasons in NHL, and accidentally ended his player career to HHOF. His Career regular seasons Sh% was 15.1%. He had nowhere near as good shot as #29 has.

EDIT2: Jets #29 has full 2 seasons more left for his career than that Legendary #13 had when he made the entry to NHL... Amazing! If allowed and capable to play on his level #29 can make better career stats than the legendary #13 at 22yo if allowed to use his potential within rational and reasonable lineups.

EDIT3: A. Le Cog is good drinking and 'doing' beer. /Beer thread :D

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Laine is great.

Jets are really lucky to have him.

19 yr old
6'5"

Able to pass the puck
And can shoot anymore with any kind of guns.

Wrist
Slap
Snap
deflect

And now back hand

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
I was disappointed on Little i think it was in the Vegas game, Little cross in to goal and Laine on right side, Laine was right open and what he do? shoot and not very good shot at it...Just shows how ineffective this line setup is.

Reactions: Ippenator

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Well at least the good thing is that it's not a Finnish thing anymore and that other people are starting to see the same things we've been pointing out at. Luckily there's been the powerplay unit that's helped keep Laine on the radar, otherwise this would be one abysmal sophomore year. Guess the question is, when will Maurice do something about it? This trio could be the worst second line (offensively) in the league right now. At least if it wasn't, I'd actually have to say I'd be surprised.

Now imagine Laine's rookie year goal totals if he played in the first power play unit. Would've been insane.

Anyway, if Scheifele is the go to guy in the 5 vs 5, one could say the same about Laine in the powerplay. Haven't counted but he must have scored nearly half of those goals? Even strength domination will come as he matures up and is able to play with whoever and whenever.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I was disappointed on Little i think it was in the Vegas game, Little cross in to goal and Laine on right side, Laine was right open and what he do? shoot and not very good shot at it...Just shows how ineffective this line setup is.
It's terribly ineffective. Little wasn't finding Laine at all. Last game there was a great passing opportunity as well that he didn't even notice.

People need to stop giving Little a free pass. He's making 5mil a year and has scored 1 goal. His production overall is that of a run of the mill third liner. At this point it looks like he just wanted an extension and is now enjoying collecting his cheque while cruising around.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Laine is great.

Jets are really lucky to have him.

19 yr old
6'5"

Able to pass the puck
And can shoot anymore with any kind of guns.

Wrist
Slap
Snap
deflect

And now back hand

Last night's goal was hilarious. He has essentially every shot in his arsenal minus a backhand and just decided to no look back hand it from centre ice for a goal.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Last night's goal was hilarious. He has essentially every shot in his arsenal minus a backhand and just decided to no look back hand it from centre ice for a goal.

I think he was trying to pass it up to his buddy #27, but nonetheless it was funny. What’s even more hilarious is how people other then Laine fans get their panties in a bunch when he scores an EN.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
It's very frustrating to see so much talent on 2nd line but absolutely no results. 1st line might be working but I don't think they alone are better than having 2 solid scoring lines

Yeah, at the start of this year Laine lead the league in points per game and goals per game for two months. He was the most effective player in the league. When he played with Scheifele. It elevated them both to a new level.

Then the genius coach separated them, destroyed the end of the season for Laine and same ridiculous shit has continued to this season.

Stupid is as stupid does

Just look at 3:35 left in first period. Why did Little shoot when he had an easy lane to pass to Laine who was in perfect position to shoot. Same thing happened twice in 1st. That's the stuff I am talking about when I say there is no chemistry. Little goes for the "shots on net" but his linemates are more about creating space for better opportunities.

They don't fit

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It's terribly ineffective. Little wasn't finding Laine at all. Last game there was a great passing opportunity as well that he didn't even notice.

People need to stop giving Little a free pass. He's making 5mil a year and has scored 1 goal. His production overall is that of a run of the mill third liner. At this point it looks like he just wanted an extension and is now enjoying collecting his cheque while cruising around.

Actually he is still making $4.7 million if Cap Friendly is correct.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Yeah, at the start of this year Laine lead the league in points per game and goals per game for two months. He was the most effective player in the league. When he played with Scheifele. It elevated them both to a new level.

Then the genius coach separated them, destroyed the end of the season for Laine and same ridiculous **** has continued to this season.

Stupid is as stupid does

Just look at 3:35 left in first period. Why did Little shoot when he had an easy lane to pass to Laine who was in perfect position to shoot. Same thing happened twice in 1st. That's the stuff I am talking about when I say there is no chemistry. Little goes for the "shots on net" but his linemates are more about creating space for better opportunities.

They don't fit

There was huge deficiencies in his game he would never overcome playing with Scheifele only as he was fixing all those Laines errors so effectively. Hockey at professional level is much more than scoring and Laine has to learn all that (like everyone else), it will be good and pay well in the long run. Not ridiculous at all

I don't understand the mentality that Laine can't learn to play defensive hockey with more suitable line-mates. He needs Little for that for some reason.

Basically the mission right now for the second line is to remove their impact from the game while the first line and PP scores. We have one scoring line when we could easily have two with a simple switch. The defensive skills won't get diminished either way.

Regarding Little, people say it is so blasphemous to hold him accountable for his production. Is this really the effort of an effective second-line center in the NHL? This is where our expectations should be? Yikes.

I agree that in the future Laine will be able to carry lines more effectively, but not right now as a teenager. So why don't we wait a bit with that stuff? You want your players start doing what they do best to git real gud at it. Repetitions, repetitions, repetitions. Not "one season over here to learn this stuff" "now another season here to learn this stuff" etc.

I bet if Laine was playing goalie in the Vegas game, people would be saying how good that is for his progression. It would not be.

I got feeling he was constantly trying to give puck to Scheifele, not playing his normal game we have been used to see earlier. Not really sure it will work in NHL at all, basically what he does is get high speed from own end, then carry and dangle puck through opponent

Last edited:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
There was huge deficiencies in his game he would never overcome playing with Scheifele only as he was fixing all those Laines errors so effectively. Hockey at professional level is much more than scoring and Laine has to learn all that (like everyone else), it will be good and pay well in the long run. Not ridiculous at all

I got feeling he was constantly trying to give puck to Scheifele, not playing his normal game we have been used to see earlier. Not really sure it will work in NHL at all, basically what he does is get high speed from own end, then carry and dangle puck through opponent

Laine is not playing his own game when with Scheifele? That's an interesting take for sure.

I would just look at the fact that Laine needs basically half the scoring chances than the average NHL player does. He scores at twice the rate. I would make damn sure that if anyone's offensive output is maximized, it is Laine's. I would also keep him focused on the defensive side as well.

But to put Laine to a line that does not work to let him work on being a shutdown player seems almost like a childish idea. Players should be doing what they do best and this team should try to be the best team it can.

And for those who want to dismiss Corsi, you should read what garret has to say about that. There may have been some confusion in some earlier analysis. Yes, there better models out there, but ignore Corsi at your own peril. It's not an exact science but if every forward on the team has a negative corsi, that is a terrible sign. We can wish this fact away but history is not going to agree with us on this one. Changes are necessary if we want to keep winning.

Treskov

Oct 12, 2017
Turku Finland
Who doesn't want him replaced? Long term gain is always better than a short time accomplishment. Nevermind if you bother to look at what kind of roster he's currently sitting at, much less points and you'd be better of coaching peewees.

Good top six and mediocre bottom six? I don´t at the moment cause the team is winning. Maybe he can also develope as a man and a coach? I don´t care about past.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Good top six and mediocre bottom six? I don´t at the moment cause the team is winning. Maybe he can also develope as a man and a coach? I don´t care about past.

Erm, you must be talking about great top 3 and average to bad bottom 9? Winning? Have you even been following the team or are you referring to the one game straight win "streak"? It really doesn't make a difference whether you fire a coach now or after the next lost game. Nevermind what comes down to Maurice evolving, I take that as a joke? None of his old bad habits seem to have taken any sort of improvement whatsoever. Also a coach suddenly taking a 180 degree turn after 20+x seasons? C'mon. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. It isn't a coincidence Maurice is chasing the most sought after record of all times as an NHL coach. :D To have been able to witness it first hand it doesn't leave you wonder how.

Can't blame you for being overly optimistic though. That's anyone's choice really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad