Player Discussion: Patrik Laine Part VII: Eliitti! - Mod Warning Post #79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Couchcaptain

Nov 11, 2016
Lost in the wilderness
Good top six and mediocre bottom six? I don´t at the moment cause the team is winning. Maybe he can also develope as a man and a coach? I don´t care about past.

Not for long though, if lineup changes are not made. Don't be surprised when the losing streak starts.
One offensively working line, and hot goaltending won't carry this team far enough.

Reactions: Ippenator

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It's terribly ineffective. Little wasn't finding Laine at all. Last game there was a great passing opportunity as well that he didn't even notice.

People need to stop giving Little a free pass. He's making 5mil a year and has scored 1 goal. His production overall is that of a run of the mill third liner. At this point it looks like he just wanted an extension and is now enjoying collecting his cheque while cruising around.

You can complain about Little's ineffectiveness all you want but I'll guess you never saw a minute of Jets hockey before September 2016. You clearly know NOTHING about the man or his character. He has killed himself for this franchise mainly surrounded by a team of non-NHL talent (in Atlanta and the early 2.0 days). I don't know why his play is off (I think he is playing hurt) but I do know that he is not cruising around collecting a cheque. He easily could have gotten more money from another team (Rangers and MTL are desperate for centers). But he signed for much less with us.

What a bunch of HOT GARBAGE.

Little deserves blame for his play.
Mo deserves blame for not setting people up to succeed.
Ehlers and Laine deserve blame for not being able to create any offense themselves.
If the team is being coached to dump and chase and failing at retrieving the puck then we need to blame more then one player.

Last edited:

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
if you havent watched bryan little before the last 2 seasons you dont know how good he was and how hard he worked he is not coasting because of a contract at all.. dude gave everything for us and was one of our most consistent players until he broke his neck or back in a game i forget which it was. and then last years injury where he missed alot of time.

that said his play style doesnt fit with laine and ehlers we can all agree. but he is also not playing up to par.. and i have a feeling its from nagging injuries. i hope he gets back to his old self for the second half of season and they can gel better.

Treskov

Oct 12, 2017
Turku Finland
Erm, you must be talking about great top 3 and average to bad bottom 9? Winning? Have you even been following the team or are you referring to the one game straight win "streak"? It really doesn't make a difference whether you fire a coach now or after the next lost game. Nevermind what comes down to Maurice evolving, I take that as a joke? None of his old bad habits seem to have taken any sort of improvement whatsoever. Also a coach suddenly taking a 180 degree turn after 20+x seasons? C'mon. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. It isn't a coincidence Maurice is chasing the most sought after record of all times as an NHL coach. :D To have been able to witness it first hand it doesn't leave you wonder how.

Can't blame you for being overly optimistic though. That's anyone's choice really.

Nope, i ment good top six and mediocre bottom six. Do you follow the game itself or just goals and shots on goal?

Maybe you should be more optimistic too and see where the shots are coming from, how many rebound goals are there for take and why haven´t there been so much neutral zone turnovers.

You can teach new tricks to old dog very easily and actually Maurice took a 180 degree turn after a two games this season to more defensive style of play. One game win streak? Do you follow the same team?

Yes, i choose to be optimistic cause it´s the best way to evolve. You can be a pessimist and bang your head against the wall.

Last edited:

Treskov

Oct 12, 2017
Turku Finland
Not for long though, if lineup changes are not made. Don't be surprised when the losing streak starts.
One offensively working line, and hot goaltending won't carry this team far enough.

Well then there is a reason for lineup changes :) I won´t be surprised cause all the teams have bad times in the season, but don´t be surprised if Maurice takes us to playoffs.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I agree that there's no point poaching Little and look for the spacegoat. He hasn't been himself and hasn't been able to help Ehlers and Laine while they haven't been able to help him either. We can just agree that the line is not clicking at all. This isn't Little's fault but Maurice's, who's like a coach version of Buff with a care-free mentality (as long as the team is within the playoffs). They absolutely need to make changes to get all lines running and winning a games against punch bag teams isn't an excuse to overlook these problems cause without a doubt the Jets are in a deep trouble against other teams who are also seriously competing this year. Why isn't Roslovic being called up? He could very well be exactly what the second line needs or does it again come down to Pmo's stubbornness to cut ice time of the veteran players? If Roslovic (who at this point really does deserve a try) was the answer that would allow the Jets to run three offensively capable lines with for instance Perreault (when available), Little and Armia forming the third line. There are so many different ways to form the puzzle and at this point Maurice needs to start proving why he was assigned as the main coach for this team in the begin with and he really needs to look into his options and do something instead of doing anything.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If you really claim that Laine is not playing D, I suggest you to watch some games by the Jets. It may help. If you already did watch and still couldn't see it, I cannot help any further.
He plays D almost as well as Ehlers does. That line does better with Armia on the RW or Lowry/Copp on the LW. I'd like to see what Ehlers Little Armia could do but what do you do with Laine?

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
He plays D almost as well as Ehlers does. That line does better with Armia on the RW or Lowry/Copp on the LW. I'd like to see what Ehlers Little Armia could do but what do you do with Laine?

OK, then we agree to disagree. To me, Ehlers' defensive play seems to be average or below average and Laine's defensive play above average.

Their "non-advanced" (a.k.a. real) stats seems to agree with me, as 5-on-5 GA60 for Laine is among the lowest for all Jets.

I suggest you to watch how Laine positions himself on the ice defensively. He is not going to do aggressive forecheck on d-zone which may fool you that he is just standing there doing nothing, but that's actually a positive thing as he doesn't let his guy open.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Well then there is a reason for lineup changes :) I won´t be surprised cause all the teams have bad times in the season, but don´t be surprised if Maurice takes us to playoffs.
Well honestly that is the only option and after all the real minimum that he should be able to achieve with the roster that he has. If he fails to get the Jets to the playoffs, he has seriously failed miserably - again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Couchcaptain

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If you want to watch proper positioning in the D zone by a Jet RWer, watch Armia. This is why I said earlier that Armia might be a better fit for that line.
I am not saying that they are not getting better because I believe they are and their O makes up for a lot of it but Ehlers isn't getting paid for his D play, he just has to be responsible...ditto Laine. Wheeler isn't all that good in his own zone but he is one of the best 2 or 3 RWers in the game and Maurice loves defensively smart players.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
If you want to watch proper positioning in the D zone by a Jet RWer, watch Armia. This is why I said earlier that Armia might be a better fit for that line.
I am not saying that they are not getting better because I believe they are and their O makes up for a lot of it but Ehlers isn't getting paid for his D play, he just has to be responsible...ditto Laine. Wheeler isn't all that good in his own zone but he is one of the best 2 or 3 RWers in the game and Maurice loves defensively smart players.

Armia is great, no doubt. But if you watched the games you did see that ELL works defensively very well. At least much, much better than CSW. The problem with ELL is not defense. It's the offence, or lack of it.

Any change to ELL would be positive, including ELA. I would rather try to use Laine on his natural position (LW) with Armia on RW. Then the center could be one of Little, Roslovic or even Copp.

When Perreault is back into the lineup, I think I would use him with Laine, and try one of Little/Roslovic/Copp on the centre. Then there would be good enough line mates available for Ehlers, that's currently other of the two mis-used offensive powers on the Jets.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Patrik Laine 5vs5
xGA/60 1.89
GA/60 1.97
relGA/60 -0.51
relxGA/60 -0.47

Laine has elite defensive stats this year so far actually

Just as a fun fact, Armia has

GA/60 2.79
xGA/60 1.71

Armia had hard time for couple of first games into the season along with Wheeler an Perreault so that he got benched. After that he has been very solid defensively.

Sample sizes are very small.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Patrik Laine 5vs5
xGA/60 1.89
GA/60 1.97
relGA/60 -0.51
relxGA/60 -0.47

Laine has elite defensive stats this year so far actually

He probably had a fun time with everyone pointing out how garbage he is to begin the season (I was guilty of this too) :D. Dude is posting elite-level defense numbers in a line that generates 0 offense for any of its members.

Bad Laine booooooo!

But if he reads this couch general BS, it is his own fault!

Last edited:
Reactions: Psych0dad

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I haven't chimed in here much, but isn't Laine playing D a lot? I think even at the expense of his offence. Often the first back checking and often covering for a roving D.
This is exactly how it really is. He has still a lot to do with his battling and board work, but he has been definitely even clearly better in those than he was last season. I have to say that it seems to me that for 10Ducky10 and some others around here there is a certain locked image on Laine's play. No matter how responsibly he plays positionally it seems to mean nothing, because he has been labeled already last season as a defensively weak player (which he in fact was not positionally even then), so that is what he is for some Jets fans, no matter how well and responsibly he plays defence. The good thing is that statistics show clearly that Laine has been good and responsible defensively, so us whom have seen it clearly in his game, we don't have to doubt our eyes and sanity.

I have also realized that there is a certain contrast with the thinking, of what really is good defence, between North Americans and Europeans. I think North Americans see the meaning of board battles, giveaways and takeaways in a much bigger meaning in good defence than Europeans in general. For Europeans it is the positional play which is usually the most meaningful part of good and responsible defensive play. In reality all of these areas are important, but I myself tend to still think also that the positional play is after all the most meaningful part of good defence, as with it, it is easiest to consistently keep the opponent away from scoring the easiest goals. Laine for example is very good positionally in covering for a pinching defenceman or his center, if the center goes aggressively to the front of the opponents goal. Laine is very often in these situations the first player to cover in between the puck and the Jets goalie, if and when a turnover happens. He is also usually playing in a way time for the other players to get back to defence and have a positionally sound defensive stand again, before the opponent can use any advantage of having the temporary man advantage situation. The value of this kind of playing seems to really be very underestimated on these boards, so I tend to believe that it has to do more with the North American way of seeing good defence in general. Of course this does not apply in this way for all North American or all European posters, just generally there seems to be a bit of this kind of difference.

Last edited:

Couchcaptain

Nov 11, 2016
Lost in the wilderness
I'd put him in first line where he belongs but the way you are talking you'd trade him for a pick or send to Moose.

This. There should be no guestion that is Laine a first line player or not, he for sure is. He should be playing in first line all the time. Seriously, best goalscorer in the team and not even playing in the first line.. What kind of joke is that?

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
This. There should be no guestion that is Laine a first line player or not, he for sure is. He should be playing in first line all the time. Seriously, best goalscorer in the team and not even playing in the first line.. What kind of joke is that?

Balancing your offense is a good thing, you just have to find a way to keep his minutes up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad