Player Discussion: Patrik Laine Part VII: Eliitti! - Mod Warning Post #79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
What more do we need?

Laine was the best player in the team tonight. They need to exploit his special talent and put him in with Chef. It will benefit them both.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
What more do we need?

Laine was the best player in the team tonight. They need to exploit his special talent and put him in with Chef. It will benefit them both.

He is useless 5v5 without chef it seems... he played with chef most of last sesson so that has not benefitted his 5v5 play this season.

He is a good puck carrier nd should use that skill alot more as it will give him chances...

Btw i saw laine had 5 shots on goal...bad areas ???

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Good game from Laine. He looks noticeably faster than he was to start the season. This is the kind of play I expected/hoped from his sophomore year.

Laine statistically converts scoring chances at twice the ratio of other players. That shot is just too damn good...
He is useless 5v5 without chef it seems... he played with chef most of last sesson so that has not benefitted his 5v5 play this season.

He is a good puck carrier nd should use that skill alot more as it will give him chances...

Laine was great at 5vs5 today in the first 2 periods and had good scoring chances.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Good game from Laine. He looks noticeably faster than he was to start the season. This is the kind of play I expected/hoped from his sophomore year.

Laine statistically converts scoring chances at twice the ratio of other players. That shot is just too damn good...

Laine was great at 5vs5 today in the first 2 periods and had good scoring chances.

Yeah i agree i should of specified. Production wise. This is why i asked about the quality of chances (areas) in the end of the comment.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

Have you started to watch Jets games or is this based on boxscore?

Laine is fine 5v5. What he and the team needs is their #2C to wake up a bit.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I think Laine wasn't the one lost in Vegas, I'm certain almost certain it was Wheeler...

That being said, Laine was our best player tonight with not one breathe of hesitation in saying that. Laine created so many opportunities and got many shots in(including his goal). Again I will reiterate what I keep saying... Laine is not meant to play on that second line, any way you put it, he's not agile enough to pick up or even find picks when they get turned over in any zone(which is pretty much all the 2nd Line does because its lack of chemistry). I hate to say it and I will get eaten by many other posters for saying so but Ehlers is like a dear in the headlights when it comes to defence and it really effects the offence because they waste most of their energy chasing turnovers and attacking the puck in our own zone. I meant oh can see how Scheifele and Wheeler really effected Ehlers with they're 2-Way presence and kept the puck going. Little had a great game as he was setting up plays all over the place, but there is a major issue with that line and it's simply put together in one word "Transition".... Ehlers is decent(Amazing if his head is up the whole way, and he Is moving his feet, his Defensive awareness really hurts him here as he ussally turns the puck over when he's has to turn exiting the defensive zone) at transitioning but he seems very easy to check from our zone(making turnovers as well) when he has the puck, Little just seems weak in this area(because he's not the fastest, biggest or slickest) but again he's got great Offensive Awareness to get the puck in good areas. Laine in my opinion has the same to blame for this as he is not good at fitting in tight spaces with that big body(and that's what teams do when he has the puck, swallow up room) when he's moving through the neutral zone. I think Connor is an easy fix, he's fast, he's got great Defensive Awarness(from my viewings, it's not unlikely that Scheifele and Wheeler wouldn't hide that flaw if he had it as they did so for Ehlers) and he seems great through the neutral zone as well(it should also scare teams having two speedsters in Ehlers and Connor if they have to shut them down. Wheeler is also a great fit for the second line as he's pretty much the best Puck Driving Winger in the league with his skill, size, overall awareness and athletic ability so Ehlers and Little could eat off of that. I am wondering what will be done when perrault returns as there was a similar issue with the second line when he was on it earlier in the season. Maurice should really go for a power line(it would probably humble Tampa a little bit too:laugh:)...

Laine Scheifele Wheeler
Connor Little Ehlers

Reactions: Ippenator

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

No he isn't useless without Chef but better lines could have gotten jets some points tonight. I would have thrown Laine in the first line after 1st. He was creating chances and shooting when it was the best option.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
No he isn't useless without Chef but better lines could have gotten jets some points tonight. I would have thrown Laine in the first line after 1st. He was creating chances and shooting when it was the best option.
Or Perreault with Little and Laine and throw Connor on the 3rd line with Lowry and Armia. Perreault knows how to get Laine going, and as we saw at the end of last season, works extremely well with Little too. Perreault can play both the creative and simple game, which is why he's been successful with both.

Reactions: Seppa28

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
maybe shief prefers playing with wheeler ? only explanation by now...
Scheif has said in multiple interviews that he adores playing with Wheeler and they both really drive each other, but I don't think that will keep Maurice from eventually splitting them up. No one is immune to the line blender when Mo wants to use it.

But yeah I don't think some people realize how much Scheifele actually likes playing with Wheeler, and it probably goes both ways tbh.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
If you watch close on the slow motion replays, the goalie rarely moves until the puck is right on him. Laine's shot is fast but it also launches off the stick flex in a really deceptive way. It's impossible to react to in close and on the 1-timer bombs. This bodes well for future goal scoring.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Have you started to watch Jets games or is this based on boxscore?

Laine is fine 5v5. What he and the team needs is their #2C to wake up a bit.
Only caught the 3rd of this game. Mainly based on boscore.

I do like how he is potting pp goals now that is very promising but he isent scoring much at 5v5.

Altho that could easily change. His skating looked alot better and he was even quick! I saw him carry the puck from dzone deep into nzone and he looked great in that rush.

Didnt see any chances which is why im wonder from where he is getting then.

He had 5 sog how much were in 5v5 and from where.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

Not useless but even when scheifele is not his linemate majority of his goals/points are with him...

It is worrying that laine isent getting them goals/points 5v5 when playing with little...hopefully that changes tho he looked alot better from when i finally saw him but still weak at 5v5.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Not useless but even when scheifele is not his linemate majority of his goals/points are with him...

It is worrying that laine isent getting them goals/points 5v5 when playing with little...hopefully that changes tho he looked alot better from when i finally saw him but still weak at 5v5.
No one is getting 5v5 points with Little atm. If the other two guys were producing i'd be worried.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
No one is getting 5v5 points with Little atm. If the other two guys were producing i'd be worried.

Yeah they need to sort that up. Little was like this at points last year too noone could produce with him. Still laine and ehlers should at least be able to make some nice plays without little in worse case.

Well see... at some point little should wake up aswell. Untill then i still want to see laine produce there are 3 others to set him or or get set up by him.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I think this is Laine’s first 4 game goal scoring streak in his NHL career. He is definitely heating up and is looking better and better in all areas of the game.

He is lethal on the power play, onnce they are able to to set it up. 5 on 5 he was making smart plays, played a good defensive game, had several scoring attempts and was by far the most productive Jets player tonight.

Little looked pretty good as well and with a little bit of luck they could have scored a couple in this game.

Reactions: Narow

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Laine is having horrible luck with getting assists. He makes the plays just as youd expect a guy do who gets assists, he does it all, makes those plays. Today he seemed to have served an open netter for scheifle, who didint get it done this time. Im not blaming scheif, that happens to any one, im saying Laine is having really rough time collecting an assists even if he offers open netter for his mates. His goals to assists ratio tells you the story about how-the-f***-wont-they-score-on-those that I have seen from highlights this year.

Pretty damn bad SH goal let by jets. Laine played too deep, Buff seemd almost like intentionally not to cover for Laines positioning down low. Laine wished for jets to keep the puck and played himself low, leaving his D position to get open for big scoring chance, but the puck bounces and goes to the Knights. Buff sees that and goes like to the jets bench and let the center ice absolutely open for breakaway. Like not wanting to make up for Pat's wrong guess. They were both to blame on that, but I think its more on buff I mean cmon wtf reason had buff to go to the jets bench and let them have a free breakaway. Literally to let Knights score to make a point for Laine or something. At least laine was guessing for puck to end up for Jets and was getting open for scoring positon. It was good read actually, looked like the pucks gonna end for the jets.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
That's called power play for a reason. It's safe that 4 plays against 3 deep if that 1 does his job against that another 1. But sadly Buff didn't, this time. I don't get it why on earth Buff was where he was. He was simply not engaged to the play at all at that PP. And same applied to many other PP opportunities he ruined against Vegas. Time to give another guy a change instead of Buff on PP1 for a moment. Couple days fishing trip for Buff with Hendricks would do wonders to the Jets. Buff could get his things together, and Hendricks isn't just fast enough for playing on the Jets.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
That's called power play for a reason. It's safe that 4 plays against 3 deep if that 1 does his job against that another 1. But sadly Buff didn't, this time. I don't get it why on earth Buff was where he was. He was simply not engaged to the play at all at that PP. And same applied to many other PP opportunities he ruined against Vegas. Time to give another guy a change instead of Buff on PP1 for a moment. Couple days fishing trip for Buff with Hendricks would do wonders to the Jets. Buff could get his things together, and Hendricks isn't just fast enough for playing on the Jets.

Im not sure what is it about with that play, it was ridiculous, but brings into my mind in school hockey, when I was put in defensive role, I made plays like that on purpose. "If you attack and leave me to play D all the time, im not going to help you up if you turn it over. Im gonna let em score. I want to be the guy who takes the offensive role".

It cant be that, right? Buff just was getting some kind of stroke or something? :help: Also the play kinda brings Kovalchuk into my mind who would skate to the offside on purpose if he doesnt get passed to.

Last edited:

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Buff looks like a guy with massive ego. He always seems way too reluctant to pass the puck to Laine at PP as well and often when Laine's free he just fires a low percentage shot that misses the net instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad