Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Just wanted to mention that with his goal last night vs the NJD, Patrice Bergeron has tied Bobby Orr for 8th overall in Bruins history with 264 goals. :)

Yup. Just saw the article on NHL.com:

Bergeron's Goal Was One for the Books

Wow. You don't think of Bergy as a goal-scorer, but he'll also most likely surpass Cashman this seaon (11 goals behind) and 78 goals to go to catch Neely. The great ones just quietly go about the business of being awesome.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Patrice Bergeron moves past Bobby Orr in goals scored as a Bruin

Passing Bobby Orr in any category is momentous. Bergeron claimed he didn’t know.
“It’s not something that I’m really thinking about, to be honest with you,” Bergeron said after the Bruins’ 5-3 loss to the Washington Capitals on Thursday night at TD Garden. “I have a lot of respect for Mr. Orr and it’s not something that I’m really worrying about.”
Let’s put this into perfect context: Bergeron is the most humble Bruins player of his generation. Actually, he’s possibly a close second to Orr because both always put the team ahead of themselves and any personal accomplishments.
Bergeron didn’t want to discuss that he passed Orr on the scoring list, especially after a loss. It was evident Bergeron felt uncomfortable even discussing himself in the same category. The best part was Bergeron referred to No. 4 as “Mr. Orr.”
When pressed about his accomplishment, Bergeron was still standoffish a bit because he would never compare himself to Orr.
“Yeah, he’s a legend, so it’s nice, but I just learned about that,” Bergeron said. “So no different than, I guess, any other thing. I don’t really worry about that stuff.”

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Yup. Just saw the article on NHL.com:

Bergeron's Goal Was One for the Books

Wow. You don't think of Bergy as a goal-scorer, but he'll also most likely surpass Cashman this seaon (11 goals behind) and 78 goals to go to catch Neely. The great ones just quietly go about the business of being awesome.

Cool stuff through and through. Thank you for the link!
Bergy is a beast and I think by career end, he will have surpassed some more folks.

As you said, @ 266 he's only 11 goals behind Cashman (277) for 7th all time. But he's also only 23 behind Ken Hodge (289) for 6th overall.
I think that, if he stays his whole career with the Bruins (as far as I am concerned, I would slap that C on his jersey as soon as Chara is done, and keep him until he says he's done), he will surely catch Neely at 344. There's an outside chance - say 50/50? - that he may even catch Bourque (395, 4th) and Middleton (402, 3rd). Without considering this season, he would need a 20 goals average or a little less for the next 7 season and he would get there.

This is a good page to check the Bruins all-time leaders:

Boston Bruins Career Leaders | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: HumBucker

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Jaffe: Is it possible to tell or teach a young player today how to have a similar mindset to yours? If so, how would you do it?
Bergeron:
Lots of kids today really like working on their skills like stick-handling and shooting. While I think that is great, they also need to worry about details of the game. Those aren’t things you always learn. I learned my way coming up from older players. Biggest thing would be working on details such as taking pride in having a good stick and cutting off passing lanes. Those things are just as good as making that "through the leg" move. I try to help young guys as much as possible. Sometimes young kids get caught up in stats. Big picture: If you win and go far in the playoffs with a team, whatever your role is, it is going to buy you some more years in the league, more years as a player overall and the ability to earn different contracts. That team aspect of being a hockey player is something that we can’t forget.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Jaffe: Is it possible to tell or teach a young player today how to have a similar mindset to yours? If so, how would you do it?
Bergeron:
Lots of kids today really like working on their skills like stick-handling and shooting. While I think that is great, they also need to worry about details of the game. Those aren’t things you always learn. I learned my way coming up from older players. Biggest thing would be working on details such as taking pride in having a good stick and cutting off passing lanes. Those things are just as good as making that "through the leg" move. I try to help young guys as much as possible. Sometimes young kids get caught up in stats. Big picture: If you win and go far in the playoffs with a team, whatever your role is, it is going to buy you some more years in the league, more years as a player overall and the ability to earn different contracts. That team aspect of being a hockey player is something that we can’t forget.

Just such an amazing player/leader/person....will be a sad day when he retires.

Reactions: Dabruins

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
Bergeron:

like this so much. the question, and my goodness, the answer.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA

Bergeron:

Team Aspect is so true.

McDavid, as good as he may be, is on a team that's tied for the 2nd worst points in the West. He can't win games by himself regardless of what the Canadian media likes to say.

I think Bergeron understands that, and it's why he is on such a team friendly contract. He's won a cup, likes winning, and wants to continue to win. He's definitely getting paid but less than what other teams would have paid to steal him. I think Stamkos understands this as well and it shows his desire to win with his recent contract.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto

Bergeron:

What a great leader for all the kids coming up in the organization. The between the legs moves are fun to watch but how many times are you going to have a chance to execute them? The little things are what help you win games and, like he said, allow you to stick around for a few more years.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Curious, was there a reason why Bergeron only played 12:58 last night? Lowest TOI he's played without an injury or something in Boston.

2nd unit PP went first and kept scoring.
PK wasn't needed much.
He took a penalty so had to sit for one of the PKs.
Up 4-0 in the 3rd, they cut his lines minutes and feed other lines. This was the most Spooner and DeBrusk played in weeks. And the 4th line all saw about 15 minutes.

Same as they have done with Chara this week: when up, limit his minutes. He was the 6th D in minutes in the 1st of the back to back and 4th in minutes last night.

Hopefully, they can continue to do this with the three Montreal games coming up. :)

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Cassidy and his staff have done a great job managing ice time in the past week. Not so much with challenges though :laugh:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Is this Bergeron's peak?

He's 32, right? I figured late 20s/early 30s is the general peak of forwards, but this guy seems to be playing better than ever in all aspects.

Reactions: PeanutButter37
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad