Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

With one more Selke and another Cup. All real good possibilities, Bergeron will go down in everyone's eyes as an all-time Great. Not that he shouldn't already but even one of the two would solidify it.

He's got a great chance to score 1000 pts and go down as the best defensive forward in the game! Amazing!!! :clap::clap:

Reactions: TCB

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Bergeron will probably win the Selke again this year, and I think when it is all said and done, 37 will hang from the rafters and go to the HHOF.
I think rafters is a no brainer, Hall of Fame is possible unless voters are dumb, which can't be discounted, and he should win the Selke again this year, but again, voters, so who knows.

I will gladly defend him on all three. :)

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Bergeron will probably win the Selke again this year, and I think when it is all said and done, 37 will hang from the rafters and go to the HHOF.
No Doubt! His resume speaks for itself.

I remember watching a John Tavares interview and they asked him who he would want as the next prime minister.

His answer #37 Patrice Bergeron:thumbu:

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
You are correct.

He won't hit it until Thanksgiving 2018 or thereabouts

He'll end the season at 975 gp if he plays the rest of the way..
If it wasn't for lockouts and concussions :madfire: he very likely would have already hit it.

Actually if you could count playoffs, #1000 was the last game of the Ottawa series.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
is Bergeron now the best defensive forward of all time? I'm talking about a guy who was used as much for defense as offense in his career. a guy who was able to go head to head against anyone and win the battle a large percentage of time.

I guess his competition for that title is mostly bob gainey and guy carboneau. I saw both play but I was a lot younger than and hated the team they played for. personally I don't think its close. but then I'm biased. I say we have to start talking about Bergeron as just that damn good.

I mean the guy has been scored on once in even strength this half season when he gets his regular linemates.. his record when hes on the ice with chara for the past 8 years is other worldly.

no defensive forward can do it all by himself... but Bergeron does more all by himself than anyone I can remember seeing.

and he has the tools to be a 60-65 point guy on a regular basis too

weve been blessed to watch one hell of a player here. if Bergeron doesn't retire as a one team only career long bruin I will be so disappointed. from oreilly to Bergeron we have a new defined definition of what it means to be mr bruin

thank you Patrice for letting me cheer for you this past decade

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
is Bergeron now the best defensive forward of all time? I'm talking about a guy who was used as much for defense as offense in his career. a guy who was able to go head to head against anyone and win the battle a large percentage of time.

I guess his competition for that title is mostly bob gainey and guy carboneau. I saw both play but I was a lot younger than and hated the team they played for. personally I don't think its close. but then I'm biased. I say we have to start talking about Bergeron as just that damn good.

I mean the guy has been scored on once in even strength this half season when he gets his regular linemates.. his record when hes on the ice with chara for the past 8 years is other worldly.

no defensive forward can do it all by himself... but Bergeron does more all by himself than anyone I can remember seeing.

and he has the tools to be a 60-65 point guy on a regular basis too

weve been blessed to watch one hell of a player here. if Bergeron doesn't retire as a one team only career long bruin I will be so disappointed. from oreilly to Bergeron we have a new defined definition of what it means to be mr bruin

thank you Patrice for letting me cheer for you this past decade
Comparing defensive play now to defensive play in the 70s and 80s is an impossible task. We've only seen this advanced stat revolution start in 2007. It's great to have to back up Bergeron's dominance, but at the same time, it's tough to use that against guys like Gainey just because they never had even close to those stats back then.

All I know is that Bergeron is very easily the best defensive forward of this generation.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think rafters is a no brainer, Hall of Fame is possible unless voters are dumb, which can't be discounted, and he should win the Selke again this year, but again, voters, so who knows.

I will gladly defend him on all three. :)
The line centered by Bergeron came within a Carlo hiccup from going 40 games without giving up a 5 on 5 goal.

It's one of the great stats I've ever seen.

The entire line is the most complete line I've ever seen.

You've got in Pastrnak the 5th rated under 25 year old prospect in the game according to the Hockey News trailing only McDavid Matthews Eichel and Laine.

You have the reigning first line all star left wing.

You have the reigning Selke winner and first line winger on the recent WC gold medal team.

It's the most complete line I've ever seen in 50 years.

They need a name they are that good.

The 'complete line' applies but probably not sexy enough

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
The line centered by Bergeron came within a Carlo hiccup from going 40 games without giving up a 5 on 5 goal.

It's one of the great stats I've ever seen.

The entire line is the most complete line I've ever seen.

You've got in Pastrnak the 5th rated under 25 year old prospect in the game according to the Hockey News trailing only McDavid Matthews Eichel and Laine.

You have the reigning first line all star left wing.

You have the reigning Selke winner and first line winger on the recent WC gold medal team.

It's the most complete line I've ever seen in 50 years.

They need a name they are that good.

The 'complete line' applies but probably not sexy enough
Swiss Army Machete.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
If it wasn't for lockouts and concussions :madfire: he very likely would have already hit it.

Actually if you could count playoffs, #1000 was the last game of the Ottawa series.
Oddly I think all that garbage helped shape Bergie. He's such a student of the game.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Oddly I think all that garbage helped shape Bergie. He's such a student of the game.
I think it would be interesting to watch a game with him just to see what he notices. I don't know if he wants to coach after he retires but I think he has the smarts to be a good one.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Thoughts on Couturier getting the Selke? I'm biased but I still think it's Bergeron's this year.

Couturier is an awesome defensive forward, I've always loved his penalty killing, the guy is amazing. Is he on Bergeron's level, not at all in my opinion. Like you say, we're biased but Bergy is the gold standard for defensive forward play in the NHL by a wide margin and by a lot of non-Boston observers. Short of something (I'm not even gonna use the ï"word here) happening, it's Bergy's this year too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad