Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Where would this team be if he was producing? At least a few more wins.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Bergy needs to rest. He's not helping the team right now and the Christmas break isn't long enough for anybody to seriously heal. I know the idea of sitting is loathsome to him (and probably Claude too) but he clearly is not playing like the Patrice Bergeron we all know and love. He's 31 now and it takes longer for the body to heal as you grow older.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Time to put Bergy on the sidelines and have him help up.

One play in particular last night made me really really sad.. and worried that Bergeron might be on an offensive decline..

Bergy picked up a pass and drove hard down the right wing to the outside. He curled around back of the net and had, I believe it was Alex Wennberg checking him. Wennberg pushed him off the puck, quite easily behind the net and just curled away from him, leading to a Columbus breakout.

I don't think I've ever seen Bergy pushed off the puck that easily.

What is happening :(:cry:

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Pardon my ignorance....

But Im just not THAT worried about Bergy. He'll get it going and realistically they aren't going to bench him. They can't afford to. Even if he does have a bit of a nagging injury. If he can skate, he will skate. Bergy at 50-70% still has more to offer then many in this lineup. The problem resides with management and the lack of scoring depth this team has and while Bergeron can be pointed towards as a factor to that problem, hes not the overall root cause.

Getting irritated by the thought people are pushing that he is on the decline. I refuse to accept that at this point in time. I respect that it is a worry. But Im not buying it. Not right now.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
5-5 for 10 points at $6,875,000 is one of the worst performances in NHL right now. Just stating facts.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Pardon my ignorance....

But Im just not THAT worried about Bergy. He'll get it going and realistically they aren't going to bench him. They can't afford to. Even if he does have a bit of a nagging injury. If he can skate, he will skate. Bergy at 50-70% still has more to offer then many in this lineup. The problem resides with management and the lack of scoring depth this team has and while Bergeron can be pointed towards as a factor to that problem, hes not the overall root cause.

Getting irritated by the thought people are pushing that he is on the decline. I refuse to accept that at this point in time. I respect that it is a worry. But Im not buying it. Not right now.

Ok - here's the short and skinny followed by a longer response.

Fact - if Bergeron was scoring at the same clip as he did last year, the Bruins would have another 12 goals at this point. They have 88 now. 88 + 12 = 100. This would put them in the top 5 in the conference. SO - regretfully, I must disagree that Bergeron's lack of production is not having the most pivotal impact on the Bruins' offense...and in the end, wins and losses.

Moreover...

Bergeron is on pace for 24 points. To put things in perspective, he scored 39 points in 64 games the year after he came back from his near-career ending concussion. Perhaps he isn't in the decline, but something is very rotten in L'Ancienne Lorette.

His lack of production effects the team in many ways including the straight up lack of scoring on his part, the effect it has on his linemates (who should BOTH be on pace for career years given their career trajectories), the impact on the PP which went from top 5 to bottom 3 in one year...and the extra pressure now put on other dudes to make up the difference.

Lack of scoring depth is an issue - but Patrice Bergeron's lack of scoring might be the #1 issue effecting the Bruins offense today. If Bergeron does turn it around, you will likely see an immediate improvement with the PP and depth scoring. Anything else in the right direction is gravy.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Now that I've seen proof that Bergy is nursing a major injury, I am so sad for him. Krejci and Spooner need to step up and lead this team to the playoffs - those are the two key guys who can do far more than they have so far. If they can't rise to the occasion and help make up for Bergy's lost offence then get rid of them. Both are kind of unreliable.

Last edited:

tnt410

Nov 23, 2008
Now that I've seen proof that Bergy is nursing a major injury, I am so sad for him. Krejci and Spooner need to step up and lead this team to the playoffs - those are the two key guys who can do far more than they have so far. If they can't rise to the occasion and help make up for Bergy's lost offence then get rid of them. Both are kind of unreliable.

Sorry, proof?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Fact - if Bergeron was scoring at the same clip as he did last year, the Bruins would have another 12 goals at this point. They have 88 now. 88 + 12 = 100. This would put them in the top 5 in the conference. SO - regretfully, I must disagree that Bergeron's lack of production is not having the most pivotal impact on the Bruins' offense...and in the end, wins and losses.

Moreover...

Bergeron is on pace for 24 points. To put things in perspective, he scored 39 points in 64 games the year after he came back from his near-career ending concussion. Perhaps he isn't in the decline, but something is very rotten in L'Ancienne Lorette.

His lack of production effects the team in many ways including the straight up lack of scoring on his part, the effect it has on his linemates (who should BOTH be on pace for career years given their career trajectories), the impact on the PP which went from top 5 to bottom 3 in one year...and the extra pressure now put on other dudes to make up the difference.

Lack of scoring depth is an issue - but Patrice Bergeron's lack of scoring might be the #1 issue effecting the Bruins offense today. If Bergeron does turn it around, you will likely see an immediate improvement with the PP and depth scoring. Anything else in the right direction is gravy.

Agreed.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Moreover...

They have plenty of centers to cover. The can have Krejci, Backes, Spooner and Moore. Sit the guy if he's hurt. They do this all the time. They played Chara too many times when he was hurt. Now Bergeron. If guys are too hurt sit them.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
What's most concerning for me is that he's not even coming close to approaching the level of play that we've all come to expect from him - a level of play that was on full display as recently as the WCOH. He hasn't shown flashes or any signs that he's turning the corner.

When your best player is one pace for the worst season of his career, you're gonna be in trouble.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Even without the notices that he's not been practicing consistently, or the picture of him in the boot at the store, it's clear he's hurt. A player at his age and fitness and skill level does not decline this fast.

I am inclined to think it's something with his ankle or possibly a knee. He has jump going forward in a straight line, but his lateral movement doesn't look good. As for getting knocked off the puck, if he's pushed onto the weak ankle/knee, or it takes some pressure, it's not a surprise. I don't suppose we'll know until after the season (if ever) what is really going on but it's clear he's hurting.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Couple months ago bergeron was a star among stars. Then he got hurt

Now it's a couple months later and he's playing the worst hockey of his career

Where is the mystery here people? This isn't a career downtrend. This is a guy playing hurt

Now if any of us knew what the injury was we could have an opinion whether or not playing him might aggravate the injury.... whether or not sitting him would speed the healing. We have so much invested in this guy I doubt the team would play him if there's any chance it will hurt his recovery.

In the meantime bergeron isn't the worst player on the ice... he's not taking ice time from anyone that deserves it ahead of him.

It sucks that he is hurt... I look forward to his recovery... but this isn't something we fans can fix with our complaints

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Couple months ago bergeron was a star among stars. Then he got hurt

Now it's a couple months later and he's playing the worst hockey of his career

Where is the mystery here people? This isn't a career downtrend. This is a guy playing hurt

Now if any of us knew what the injury was we could have an opinion whether or not playing him might aggravate the injury.... whether or not sitting him would speed the healing. We have so much invested in this guy I doubt the team would play him if there's any chance it will hurt his recovery.

In the meantime bergeron isn't the worst player on the ice... he's not taking ice time from anyone that deserves it ahead of him.

It sucks that he is hurt... I look forward to his recovery... but this isn't something we fans can fix with our complaints

Agreed. I'd like to see him sit but I wonder if it's a long term surgery type thing he needs

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
So far tonight he is more snake bit than a Hindu basket cleaner.

40026_ca_object_representations_media_2081_mediumlarge.jpg

There's got to be a goal in there somewhere?

Noweare

Jan 4, 2017
New Hampshire
They have plenty of centers to cover. The can have Krejci, Backes, Spooner and Moore. Sit the guy if he's hurt. They do this all the time. They played Chara too many times when he was hurt. Now Bergeron. If guys are too hurt sit them.

I agree. Plus playing injured could cause another injury or significantly delay recovering from an injury. Just not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->