Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Well, in fairness, there are 30 players in the league with more points than Bergeron.

Hart Trophy (MVP) is not just about points. That's what the Art Ross is for. It's about who is the MVP to their team. There is zero argument to be made that Bergeron isn't an MVP candidate this year, considering his production and importance to the Bruins.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Hart Trophy (MVP) is not just about points. That's what the Art Ross is for. It's about who is the MVP to their team. There is zero argument to be made that Bergeron isn't an MVP candidate this year, considering his production and importance to the Bruins.
I know, but do you seriously think that he's going to win 31st in scoring? I don't. It doesn't mean that he's not valuable, it's just the way it goes.

I also think some people are influenced by Jack Edwards sickening, constant fawning over him. It's actually ridiculous to listen to. Last night was way beyond.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

If the season ended today. He wins!

He's starting to get a lot of press on the subject. His name is circulating around a lot!:thumbu:

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I know, but do you seriously think that he's going to win 31st in scoring? I don't. It doesn't mean that he's not valuable, it's just the way it goes.

I also think some people are influenced by Jack Edwards sickening, constant fawning over him. It's actually ridiculous to listen to. Last night was way beyond.

If he scores 40 or close to it I think he'll win. Who this year has been more valuable to their team?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I just wanted to point out that Patrice Bergeron is on pace for 40 goals right now. 27/55*82=40.254.

I don't think he will end up scoring 40, but for a player that has always been considered one of the best 2 way centers of all time, this is a new level on display. I wonder if he will ever be as respected as Yzerman? In your eyes is he already there? If he ended up with 1200 points would he be in a category with Yzerman and Messier eventhough he is 500+ points shy of there offensive numbers?

If he spends the rest of his career here, he will be the Bruins very own Yzerman. All the hardware he has (+ some more Selke's) + >1000 points = HOFer.

Reactions: HockeyGoddess

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Coming off season surgery and with early season injury had just 5 goals in 23 games... projecting to less than 20 for a full season. Last year just 5 goals in first 34 games

After finally getting healthy enough finished last year with 16 in 45... and now this year has 22 goals in 27 games

He wont keep this pace up but hes clearly been a legit 30 goal scorer for the past few seasons when healthy

Hes also plus 366 for his 14 year career as a checking center. Pretty damn outstanding

For the kings mascot kopitar is plus 88 in 12 seasons

But yeah... im sure hes as good as bergeron shutting the other guys down and driving play lol

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If he scores 40 or close to it I think he'll win. Who this year has been more valuable to their team?

Im pretty sure marchand is going to outscore him... thats never a good thing when trying to make a case for mvp

Ill toss out a thought... he splits votes with marchy for hart and gets jobbed BUT... players give the lindsey.

Honestly i think the players trophy means more these days anyhow

Reactions: Bruinaura

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Coming off season surgery and with early season injury had just 5 goals in 23 games... projecting to less than 20 for a full season. Last year just 5 goals in first 34 games

After finally getting healthy enough finished last year with 16 in 45... and now this year has 22 goals in 27 games

He wont keep this pace up but hes clearly been a legit 30 goal scorer for the past few seasons when healthy

Hes also plus 366 for his 14 year career as a checking center. Pretty damn outstanding

For the kings mascot kopitar is plus 88 in 12 seasons

But yeah... im sure hes as good as bergeron shutting the other guys down and driving play lol
Not that I disagree with your opinion of Bergeron at all, but the Bruins site lists him at +158 for his career. Still better than Kopitar... And that's even with a season at -27 or thereabouts (thank you Dave Lewis) :mad:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I dont think he’ll win it. Its a points thing even though it shouldnt be.

What I didnt realize until the other day was that 20% of his career goals have been game winning goals.

That’s something

Reactions: 22Brad Park

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
If he spends the rest of his career here, he will be the Bruins very own Yzerman. All the hardware he has (+ some more Selke's) + >1000 points = HOFer.
He would almost be a reverse Yzerman. He started out as an offensive star and learned defense later when the league changed, Bergeron's finally been unleashed from a constricting system as the league is now going that way.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
He would almost be a reverse Yzerman. He started out as an offensive star and learned defense later when the league changed, Bergeron's finally been unleashed from a constricting system as the league is now going that way.
True dat.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Bergeron hailed by 1977-78 Bruins as one of best centers in their history

Screenshot_20180216-124850-720x1480.png

Never fear, Bergeron's playing another ten years. Marchand says so. :laugh:

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I remember a situation of how much Marchand respects Bergeron.
Years back when Soderberg was on the team there was video clip of Marchand chirping him during practice. Soderberg had no use for it and was stone faced. Sensing weakness Marchand wouldn't stop and kept at him. He then told him he needs to "play more like Bergy". Soderberg snapped back in his accent "I play like Carl!". Not soon after Soderberg was gone.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Fwiw I think his hart chances are something like slim and none. But who cares frankly.

He's getting serious love from the media, which matters since they're the guys who vote. In 2014 he finished 5th with 62 points. I don't know if he'll win it but if he finishes with 35+ goals and 80 points and the Bruins stay among the top of the standings, I think he'll certainly be a finalist with a solid chance to win it

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
He's getting serious love from the media, which matters since they're the guys who vote. In 2014 he finished 5th with 62 points. I don't know if he'll win it but if he finishes with 35+ goals and 80 points and the Bruins stay among the top of the standings, I think he'll certainly be a finalist with a solid chance to win it
NESN is certainly on board.

HockeyGoddess

Mar 1, 2002
Nashua, NH
Regardless of how the media votes for the Hart, where Bergeron is concerned, he already *is* a Hart trophy winner. Yes, I'm biased. I have adored my adopted French Canadian son (poor guy doesn't even know I adopted him way back when!) since the very first time I saw him on the ice during rookie practice his first year with the Bruins. When the veterans showed up a few days later, he made them look like they were pylons (including / especially Joe Thornton). He is as complete a player as they come, IMO (again, I'm biased, but whatever). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad