Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Anyone who thinks Bergeron shouldn't win the Selke this year needs to watch this game tonight.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Seriously. What more can you say about this guy? Does he have any flaws?

And to think, his career was pretty much over 10 years ago

He just keeps impressing. His game really is incredible and seems to get better. Also one of the most likable and respected players in the NHL on top of it. Nothing all of us don't know already but damn is it great to have him on the team.

Reactions: HockeyGoddess

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but this is kinda crazy. :huh:

Game management, the bruins lead a lot of games by large scores, ref completely put away the whistles.

It's basically what I find most annoy about the NHL, they ref based on the score of the game and who had the last powerplay.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
Game management, the bruins lead a lot of games by large scores, ref completely put away the whistles.

It's basically what I find most annoy about the NHL, they ref based on the score of the game and who had the last powerplay.

I think the fact that he doesn't hold on to the puck for a lot of time, for the most part probably effects that as well. Then again, he does a lot of work in the corners which is where a lot of penalties occur.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I do have one reservation about GWGs though. Say a goal is scored to make it 5-0, and then the other team scores four goals. To me, that GWG scored under essentially no pressure is different than one scored that breaks a tie. I dunno, maybe it's just semantics.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but this is kinda crazy. :huh:

Don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to look at that and know something isn't right. If he avoided contact, traffic, and the corners then I would still think that number is bat crap insane. Thing is, Bergy is constantly in the mix of things. I've lost count of how many times he has been held without a call, taken a high stick, and been tripped. It's literally in the dozens this season. This number is absolutely disgraceful for the NHL. A player so dominant and involved in play who gets shafted night in and night out so absurdly is a black eye to the refs and the league.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I just wanted to point out that Patrice Bergeron is on pace for 40 goals right now. 27/55*82=40.254.

I don't think he will end up scoring 40, but for a player that has always been considered one of the best 2 way centers of all time, this is a new level on display. I wonder if he will ever be as respected as Yzerman? In your eyes is he already there? If he ended up with 1200 points would he be in a category with Yzerman and Messier eventhough he is 500+ points shy of there offensive numbers?

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
This is looking like a career year for Bergy. I wonder if a quick look at the stats 20 years from now will show just how dominant he has been, even in comparison to his previous seasons. We are lucky to get to watch this guy play every night at this level.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I just wanted to point out that Patrice Bergeron is on pace for 40 goals right now. 27/55*82=40.254.

I don't think he will end up scoring 40, but for a player that has always been considered one of the best 2 way centers of all time, this is a new level on display. I wonder if he will ever be as respected as Yzerman? In your eyes is he already there? If he ended up with 1200 points would he be in a category with Yzerman and Messier eventhough he is 500+ points shy of there offensive numbers?

Well he's going to the HOF, so he's gonna be on a short list to begin with.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Well he's going to the HOF, so he's gonna be on a short list to begin with.
Definitely going to the Hall of Fame. My eyes tell me he is in the category of Yzerman and Messier, the numbers seem to be telling me that I am an extreme homer. I was hoping someone would convince me that the inflated numbers of the past could directly account for the discrepancy in total points. :)

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Well, in fairness, there are 30 players in the league with more points than Bergeron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad