Rumor: Panthers looking to move prospect Adam Mascherin

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In typical NHL fashion, why would a GM give up a second round pick now for a guy they could take in the third or fourth round in June?

Actual potential and development at the age of 20 (24 months after the draft) >> than a 2nd round pick today where you don't know what they do at the age of 19 (12 months from today). Also, do you really think you can draft a 1.14 pts/game player in the 3rd or 4th round? Answer is yes but what do you think the probability is on that?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Habs 5th for mascherin rights if he signs it becomes their 3rd (66th overall I think).

Why would we give up a 5th if he does not sign?
Just give a conditional 3rd straight up.
If he signs, panthers gets a 3rd.
If he does not sign, Panthers gets nothing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I was looking through stats and Elynuik stuck out. Looking at the video his skating leaves A TON to be desired. Hard to tell when a kid is 6'5 200lbs if his stats are skill based, or if he is just big enough to bully the other young guys.

Id be interested from a Leafs perspective, but probably wouldn't offer more than a 3rd (he was a 3rd rounder) or a prospect who we have signed if your looking for someone a bit further along in development.

Maybe a Josh Leivo?

Canes have already said he's not signing with them, so they would pretty much take anything IMO. Problem is, he'd have to agree to sign with the Leafs in order for them to want to give up anything for him. If he did, then a 3rd rounder or Leivo would be more than fine.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Actual potential and development at the age of 20 (24 months after the draft) >> than a 2nd round pick today where you don't know what they do at the age of 19 (12 months from today). Also, do you really think you can draft a 1.14 pts/game player in the 3rd or 4th round? Answer is yes but what do you think the probability is on that?

And yet, most redraft these do not go in the ground they were originally selected. NHL GM’s have a long and storied track record of not doing that. They will draft for future potential and growth over the established player.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Fair enough. Just figured I'd try to replace Braun with a NHL player but I know you guys got some young prospects on their way up.

Still a solid original proposal. The added bonus on Braun is Boughner already knows his game.

I don't think the team has much in way of prospects to replace Braun but I think they need to make some change on their blue line. I'd be interested in trying to sign Mike Green regardless of Braun's status.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
more interisting is, is MacKenzie right. If the panthers pass on him the chance is high in the unwritten Hockey rulez, that he might learn the hard Way. And get picked up 5th or 5th Round again on Draft Day. And when they really pissed off, they let him sit in the Press Box and re-enter him again.
So no matter what i dont see where he stand in a good Position. Mascherin get bad reputation before he enter his Pro Career.
Time has changed, Teams dont like it, see Drouin where he ended up, he was on a Cup team, now he is in Montreal.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
For a trade to work out, Mascherin would have to agree to sign a contract.

I think he seriously looks at what and where the AHL affiliate is, when making that decision.

He's not going to agree to sign with an organization that can't give him a NHL shot and their AHL club is either weak or somewhere undesirable. The most intriguing options for Mascherin are likely the organizations with AHL clubs in California, Texas or Toronto.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
if he goes back into the draft some think he could go in the first round and get a better contract with more bonuses?

Seems like he is got nothing to lose. But the problem is, nobody wants to pay a third rounder to Florida. So there is absolutely no chance he is getting drafted in the first round if he re enters.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Anyone have a list of other prospects who didn’t sign and then were traded due to not signing?

Vesey was one.
Riley Nash wasn't going to sign with Edmonton, although IIRC, he wasn't days away from being a UFA, when they traded him to Carolina.

Those are two off the top of my head.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Great. But that doesn’t change if a team decides they want to spend a pick in X round to draft the guy, they are better up calling Florida and offering that pick to them right now. They guarantee they get the guy they want and don’t have to worry about someone else taking him first. It makes zero sense to draft the guy instead of trading for him.
So if he is worth a 2nd with June closing in quickly....why haven't they moved him? Basically with the sands in the hourglass coming to a conclusion....they will probably take what they can get or get nothing at all. I would say a 4th would get it done if offered. The Sabres got burned for a 3rd by Jimmy Vesey in a not exact but similar situation.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
So if he is worth a 2nd with June closing in quickly....why haven't they moved him? Basically with the sands in the hourglass coming to a conclusion....they will probably take what they can get or get nothing at all. I would say a 4th would get it done if offered. The Sabres got burned for a 3rd by Jimmy Vesey in a not exact but similar situation.

2nd Round not bad, you know Florida has the Arizona 2nd Rund Pick. You might can guess what will happen if they really go the hard Way on him.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Flordia:
Markus Niemelainen + 4th round draft pick (2018)

Edmonton:
Adam Mascherin

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
He could probably fetch a similar but lesser prospect.

Id take a flyer on him if the price is right.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Leafs are going to need to restock their AHL roster a little bit given that Dermott, Kapanen and Johnsson will all likely be full time Leafs next year baring some freak injury.

Mascherin might be able to help do that

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad