Rumor: Panthers looking to move prospect Adam Mascherin

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Anyone have a list of other prospects who didn’t sign and then were traded due to not signing?

2017: Tampa traded 2015 6th rounder Boko Imama to the Kings for a 2018 7th rounder. I think it was more Tampa not wanting to sign Imama to a 3 year ELC since they needed to keep contract spots open for their eventual 2016 picks turning pro.

2016: San Jose traded 2014 3rd rounder Dylan Sadowy to the Red Wings for a 2017 3rd rounder. I forget if there was any contract acrimony here.

2010: Phoenix traded 2008 2nd rounder Jared Staal to the Hurricanes for a 2010 5th rounder. I think Phoenix didn't want to sign Staal, while Carolina was collecting Staals like Pokemon.

2010: Islanders traded 2008 3rd rounder Jyri Niemi to the Rangers for a 2010 6th round pick. Rare NYI/NYR swap.

Probably missed a few, but I think these cases were just teams not wanting to use a contract slot on the player and trying to recoup an asset.

Edit: I forgot the most "notable" one in recent memory with Tim Erixon refusing to sign with Calgary. He threatened to re-enter the 2011 Draft in which case Calgary would have only received a compensatory 2nd. Calgary eventually traded Erixon to the Rangers for a pair of 2nds and an average prospect. There was thought that Erixon would go top 15 if he were in 2011, possibly crack the top 10.

Reactions: Skippy73

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Because another team might take him in the 2nd. Who knows what his draft value is anymore, but waiting for the draft to take him seems foolish.

Depending who the team is. Habs have 4 2nd rounders, they can take the chance that he's there in the 2nd or go with someone else they like better. Regardless, I don't think he should be an option for the Habs.

If I'm Florida, I'm moving quick before ending up with nothing. Better a third round pick than nothing, assuming that's the best offer they get. If they can do better, more power to them.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’m sure Montreal would be willing to give Florida one of their later 2nds, so either Toronto’s or Washington’s for Mascherin. He strikes be as a very similar player to our very own Brendan Gallagher: shorter, but solidly built winger with a good shot, tenacious, scores a lot of goals by simply outworking the opponent.

Mascherin's not needed in Montreal, it would be a waste of a second round pick. There are several interesting centers available in the 2nd round, would rather they use all of their second picks to stock up.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
The kid will be a UFA in a week. There is no need to give up any notable assets. He obviously doesnt wanna sign with the Panther which is why they shopped him.

The kid will have an idea of what teams he would like to play for.

Reactions: haveandare

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
The kid will be a UFA in a week. There is no need to give up any notable assets. He obviously doesnt wanna sign with the Panther which is why they shopped him.

The kid will have an idea of what teams he would like to play for.

No, he won't. The Panthers will either trade his rights to someone very soon or he'll re-enter the draft, just like Connor Bleackley did.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And yet, most redraft these do not go in the ground they were originally selected. NHL GM’s have a long and storied track record of not doing that. They will draft for future potential and growth over the established player.

Disagree. The probability of hitting a Mascherin in the 2nd or later rounds is not good. He is a proven CHL asset at the age of 20. I would take that over a 17/18 year old where you don't know how they develop in the next two years. Mascherin has a 1.4 pts/game average after being drafted.

Now, is he worth a 2nd round pick from this draft? Hard to say. Teams will try to buy low cause he needs a ELC and it's the 11th hour.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Still a 2nd but other GMs know he won't sign so they have the upper hand but if he's packaged with our 1st and one of our RD like Pysyk or Petrovic, we'd be looking for a defensive top 4 RD in return.
Why a 2nd? A GM would assume the risk he does not sign adn re-enters. Loses his 2nd for nil then. They could draft him with that same 2nd? Have his rights long term

Reactions: hardkorejackets

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Disagree. The probability of hitting a Mascherin in the 2nd or later rounds is not good. He is a proven CHL asset at the age of 20. I would take that over a 17/18 year old where you don't know how they develop in the next two years. Mascherin has a 1.4 pts/game average after being drafted.

Now, is he worth a 2nd round pick from this draft? Hard to say. Teams will try to buy low cause he needs a ELC and it's the 11th hour.

Historically, redrafted players go later if at all when reentering. It doesn’t matter the variety of player, it’s just a universal norm of how general managers and scouting director’s operate.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Historically, redrafted players go later if at all when reentering. It doesn’t matter the variety of player, it’s just a universal norm of how general managers and scouting director’s operate.

Redrafted players with a 1.4 pts/game average in the last two seasons go later? :sarcasm:. You are neglecting production numbers from this kid IMO. It is very strange that the Panthers can't come to agreements on a ELC though. Is this kid asking for a top 10 pick ELC comparable? Something is weird.

Can you find a past comparison? I'm curious to see

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
5'9" forward and hasn't really increased his numbers in last 3 years of junior. Not surprised.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hopefully he gets moved in a packaged deal as I don't see him by himself pulling all that much.

I would imagine a second rounder would do it.

Does a third land you Mascherin? As a Rangers season ticket holder I do believe he will make it and I know for a fact he can score some goals. Don't know if his skating and tenaciousness on the for check is close to that of an NHL player, but it could get better over time.

Because you gotta understand, Mascherin's value right now is probably around a 3rd or a 4th to a team willing to take on the risk of Mascherin panning out.

The fact his drafted team didn't sign him and is looking to move him also diminishes his value. (Just as a matter of perceptions)

Packaging him will be the best way to maintain some of his relative value.

It's not me dishing on the guy here, I'm sure he could pan out as a great 3rd line winger with 2nd line upside. Those trades often result in much later picks (4th, 5th) being sent back.

There is a 0% chance Mascherin fetches a 1st round pick.
There are serious flaws with his game.
If the Panthers can get a late 2nd rounder for him, they've done well.
I expect them to get a 3rd.

It is speculated unofficially that Zuc to Panthers for FL 2018 1st [15OA] is a win win.
whether a combo or a separate deal, I see NY doing a 5th 2018 just for this guy's rights. Then also a conditional 4th if they sign him.
Maybe another conditional 3rd or 4th if Adam turns out to be all that and a bag of chips, based on his production.

Not a bad proposal at all. I'd probably do that. But we would need to unload Pysyk. Anyway we can work
Pysyk + #34 overall + Mascherin
For
Braun + Labanc

If Pysyk has become surplus, NYR likely interested.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
2017: Tampa traded 2015 6th rounder Boko Imama to the Kings for a 2018 7th rounder. I think it was more Tampa not wanting to sign Imama to a 3 year ELC since they needed to keep contract spots open for their eventual 2016 picks turning pro.

2016: San Jose traded 2014 3rd rounder Dylan Sadowy to the Red Wings for a 2017 3rd rounder. I forget if there was any contract acrimony here.

2010: Phoenix traded 2008 2nd rounder Jared Staal to the Hurricanes for a 2010 5th rounder. I think Phoenix didn't want to sign Staal, while Carolina was collecting Staals like Pokemon.

2010: Islanders traded 2008 3rd rounder Jyri Niemi to the Rangers for a 2010 6th round pick. Rare NYI/NYR swap.

Probably missed a few, but I think these cases were just teams not wanting to use a contract slot on the player and trying to recoup an asset.

Edit: I forgot the most "notable" one in recent memory with Tim Erixon refusing to sign with Calgary. He threatened to re-enter the 2011 Draft in which case Calgary would have only received a compensatory 2nd. Calgary eventually traded Erixon to the Rangers for a pair of 2nds and an average prospect. There was thought that Erixon would go top 15 if he were in 2011, possibly crack the top 10.
2010-Jun-26 Traded 1st Rounder Riley Nash from Edmonton Oilers to Carolina Hurricanes for round 2 pick in the 2010 draft (Martin Marincin)

2013-Mar-29 Traded 4th Rounder Tobias Reider from Edmonton Oilers to Phoenix Coyotes for Kale Kessy

Both have been fails for my Oilers, but for awhile it was looking good with Marincin

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
How many guys that re-enter the draft end up being successful in the end? I know Freddy Andersen was, but in fairness, he was a 7th rounder the 1st time and then had a monster year in Sweden post draft before getting re-drafted in the 3rd. I'm sure there are others, just aren't aware of them off the top of my head.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'd be fine with Buffalo giving up 117th overall (4th round) for Mascherin, provided that two little birdies named McKee and Barnaby whisper in their former team's ear that Mascherin would sign with the Sabres. Buffalo could use some left-shot wingers with goal-scoring touch.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How many guys that re-enter the draft end up being successful in the end? I know Freddy Andersen was, but in fairness, he was a 7th rounder the 1st time and then had a monster year in Sweden post draft before getting re-drafted in the 3rd. I'm sure there are others, just aren't aware of them off the top of my head.
Jarret Stoll, Matthew Lombardi, Craig Anderson.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Jarret Stoll had a decent career. Matt Lombardi had a couple good seasons before concussions did him in. Nick Boynton was a serviceable D. Craig Anderson went in the third round twice. Mike Rupp never lived up to being a top 10 pick, but he did last in the NHL for a decade which isn't bad for a third rounder.

Found this tidbit on Stoll that I didn't know: The Sports Page:

When the Flames couldn’t sign him, they dealt him to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Stoll and the Leafs agreed to a deal before the June 1st deadline. Or so they thought. The Leafs sent a fax in to the NHL head office to make the deal official, but the fax didn’t make it on time, thus nullifying the agreement.

Fun to think about the butterfly effect that Stoll to Toronto might have been.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Redrafted players with a 1.4 pts/game average in the last two seasons go later? :sarcasm:. You are neglecting production numbers from this kid IMO. It is very strange that the Panthers can't come to agreements on a ELC though. Is this kid asking for a top 10 pick ELC comparable? Something is weird.

Can you find a past comparison? I'm curious to see

Giorgio Estephan. Draft by Buffalo averaged 1.3 PPG the next two years and was not signed, went back in the draft and passed over.

Bleakley went from a 1st round to a 5th round.

It is very very seldom players go higher the next time around. If the team was sold on them, they would be signed, and if the drafting team is not sold on them, its not good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->