Rumor: Panthers looking to move prospect Adam Mascherin

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Correct. But it’s not like the Panthers could call around dangling Mascherin. He had to be willing to sign. The reality is the deadline passed. Maybe he wants to go back to the draft. Who knows
I suppose a deal might take some time before announcement.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Mascherin has no leverage to dictate his destination if he goes back into the draft, either.

Or? What is the plan here, what if he goes like I will only play for say Toronto Maple Leafs? I can wait another two years if that is what it takes. Do someone pick him in the 1-2 round? Nah. Probably not worth it. 3rd? Toronto in like the 3rd? 4th?

Seems odd to be like I’ll go anywhere just not Florida. When people have called up Fla — what has the message been?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Correct. But it’s not like the Panthers could call around dangling Mascherin. He had to be willing to sign. The reality is the deadline passed. Maybe he wants to go back to the draft. Who knows
I realize it would have been difficult to trade him today, but they had a while.

Didn't Buffalo trade a 3rd rounder to Nashville for Vesey, only to have Vesey not sign?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I realize it would have been difficult to trade him today, but they had a while.

Didn't Buffalo trade a 3rd rounder to Nashville for Vesey, only to have Vesey not sign?
Correct. But vesey was NHL ready and projected to be a top 6 winger. Everyone wanted a chance at him.

Mascherin is not nhl ready. There wasn’t a single rumor of teams being interested in him.

Reactions: LeafChief

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
why wouldnt a team offer the panthers a conditional 7th round pick depending on if he signed today? It makes no sense that the panthers got nothing for him as he is a legit prospect.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
why wouldnt a team offer the panthers a conditional 7th round pick depending on if he signed today? It makes no sense that the panthers got nothing for him as he is a legit prospect.
Because those teams have already reached out to his agent and gotten their answer.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I suppose the lack of action, shows the level of interest in him, and their perception of his future.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

It won't happen but it would be quite the feat if the Panthers drafted him again.

I wonder what really happened. I suspect the player just wanted to stick it to the Panthers and said no to signing with anyone. I can't see how Florida would have walked away with nothing, although I understand it's happened to them many times:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

It won't happen but it would be quite the feat if the Panthers drafted him again.

I wonder what really happened. I suspect the player just wanted to stick it to the Panthers and said no to signing with anyone. I can't see how Florida would have walked away with nothing, although I understand it's happened to them many times:

That’s a skewed number. Both Donskoi and pakarinen were late bloomers the panthers walked away from. At decision time neither player looked like they would ever crack the nhl so the panthers let their rights expire. Hyman was a 6th round pick who looked to be heading in the same direction before breaking out his senior year at Michigan. Hyman wanted to play for the leafs and forced the panthers hand knowing he was a few months away from being a UFA (similar to vesey). Panthers also had a 4th round pick about 7 years ago who refused to sign. He was traded to the flames and ended up back with the panthers 2 years ago. Frustrating that it keeps happening for sure, but the org can’t force these kids to sign.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That’s a skewed number. Both Donskoi and pakarinen were late bloomers the panthers walked away from. At decision time neither player looked like they would ever crack the nhl so the panthers let their rights expire. Hyman was a 6th round pick who looked to be heading in the same direction before breaking out his senior year at Michigan. Hyman wanted to play for the leafs and forced the panthers hand knowing he was a few months away from being a UFA (similar to vesey). Panthers also had a 4th round pick about 7 years ago who refused to sign. He was traded to the flames and ended up back with the panthers 2 years ago. Frustrating that it keeps happening for sure, but the org can’t force these kids to sign.

Absolutely understand and the comment wasn't at all meant to assign blame. Only that it happened before. Thanks for providing context.

Reactions: Beezeral

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The panthers have been making some baffling decsions over the past 12 months

First they lost 2 top 6 forwards to vegas for a combined return of a 4th round pick.

Now they let a fairly high pick go back in the draft and willlikely lose him for nothing

Hasn't been a good 12 months

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So where is this guy projected to go in the draft now?

I'd be shocked if he went above his original draft slot of #38 in 2016. I'd say someone picks him mid to late 2nd round though, he's further developed than most players coming in but his skating isn't the greatest. His shot is filthy and playmaking skills are decent but needs work defensively.

Leafs, Habs and Rangers are a couple teams that would bite IMO

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
The panthers have been making some baffling decsions over the past 12 months

First they lost 2 top 6 forwards to vegas for a combined return of a 4th round pick.

Now they let a fairly high pick go back in the draft and willlikely lose him for nothing

Hasn't been a good 12 months

Really? Signed Dadanov who was terrific, finished just outside of a playoff spot despite having a terrible start and having both goalies go down, still got 96 points.

I’d say despite the decision to let Smith and Marchy go (watch Smith have his usual down year next season), we did ok. Can’t force a kid to sign, Vesey didn’t want to sign initially. Didn’t Boston have trouble with Wheeler?

Anyway, shit happens. Would’ve been nice to have those two that were allowed to walk, but there’s apparently more to the story that we know snippets about. Done whining about it.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Really? Signed Dadanov who was terrific, finished just outside of a playoff spot despite having a terrible start and having both goalies go down, still got 96 points.

I’d say despite the decision to let Smith and Marchy go (watch Smith have his usual down year next season), we did ok. Can’t force a kid to sign, Vesey didn’t want to sign initially. Didn’t Boston have trouble with Wheeler?

Anyway, **** happens. Would’ve been nice to have those two that were allowed to walk, but there’s apparently more to the story that we know snippets about. Done whining about it.

If he wins the Cup, who gives a shit? Btw, nearly the entire '16-'17 squad played like shit.

You mean baseless gossip to serve as an excuse for Tallon making moves clearly motivated by revenge against the nerds (see Demers-Guds attempt)?

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
If he wins the Cup, who gives a ****? Btw, nearly the entire '16-'17 squad played like ****.

You mean baseless gossip to serve as an excuse for Tallon making moves clearly motivated by revenge against the nerds (see Demers-Guds attempt)?

Yeah, just pay him 5 mil to play like ass. Did it in Boston, did it here, will do it next year.

Lmao, go hate on Tallon elsewhere. It’s old. Tired. And dumb. Unless you wanna start a back and forth.

Demers wasn’t good here, not that I wanted Guds either. Glad it didn’t work, but getting him did nothing.

Motivated by revenge? That why he signed Pysyk who was traded FOR Guds? (This is incorrect. Had two thoughts in my head and squished em together)

Last edited:

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Uhmmm....

Yeah, was for Kuli, wanted to make the point that Guds was the poster child of who they didn’t want while Pysyk was supposedly the poster for who they did. So, if he was really trying to get some “revenge,” why re-sign him??

Incorrectly said they were traded for each other, don’t miss Kuli either.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Donskoi had 3 very solid seasons in the Liiga after his draft season. Crazy not to sign him during that time period.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Anyway, **** happens. Would’ve been nice to have those two that were allowed to walk, but there’s apparently more to the story that we know snippets about. Done whining about it.
Panthers had 4 picks in the top 3 between 2010 and 2014, including a #1 and #2 overall. They should be firmly in contender status instead of scraping the edge of the playoffs. Losing Marchessault and Smith were incredibly baffling decisions, which really hurt their forward depth. Losing Mascherin for nothing is another odd move, after failing to sign Donskoi and other NHL prospects.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Donskoi had 3 very solid seasons in the Liiga after his draft season. Crazy not to sign him during that time period.
and was terrible every time he came over for prospect camp. He even said himself that he wasn't prepared for the NHL at the time. It sucks for the Panthers that he turned it around after his rights expired. Plenty of valid reasons to criticize the Panthers. This isn't one of them.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Panthers had 4 picks in the top 3 between 2010 and 2014, including a #1 and #2 overall. They should be firmly in contender status instead of scraping the edge of the playoffs. Losing Marchessault and Smith were incredibly baffling decisions, which really hurt their forward depth. Losing Mascherin for nothing is another odd move, after failing to sign Donskoi and other NHL prospects.

So did the Oilers....and look where they are?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad