Rumor: Panthers looking to move prospect Adam Mascherin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Great. But that doesn’t change if a team decides they want to spend a pick in X round to draft the guy, they are better up calling Florida and offering that pick to them right now. They guarantee they get the guy they want and don’t have to worry about someone else taking him first. It makes zero sense to draft the guy instead of trading for him.

Like I said, if there is a geneeral manaher who thinks he’s worth a second rounder in the draft it makes perfect sense to make that trade now. And again, it’s rare for a re-drafty to go higher in a subsequent draft then they went in the original. Even if the kid is the real deal, you have to convince a general manager that the guy is worth two years of potential out of a normal 18-yo draftee for this. With most redraft is, that hasn’t happened. The value assessment will be lower than the original draft position. So that would be what the draft pick offer in trade would likely be, the lower value.

Last edited:

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Do you know what are the reasons??

I'm not familiar with Scott Wheeler, but he's got a supposed quote from Mascherin in September saying he's not heard from the Panthers since May. My outsider perspective is that FLA is pretty well off in terms of forwards, he could get better opportunity elsewhere.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
My outsider perspective is that FLA is pretty well off in terms of forwards, he could get better opportunity elsewhere.

Yeah, just like Jimmy Feces has got better opportunities to shine with the Rags while the Preds are probably headed for another SC final appearance. Tallon is probably going to get pretty shitty proposals concerning Mascherin so the only thing to remain is to limit the damage by trading the guy to a team that has no future in sight for the next 3-5 years. The Habs would be the ideal candidate.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Like I said, if there is a geneeral manaher who thinks he’s worth a second rounder in the draft it makes perfect sense to make that trade now. And again, it’s rare for a re-drafty to go higher in a subsequent draft then they went in the original. Even if the kid is the real deal, you have to convince a general manager that the guy is worth two years of potential out of a normal 18-yo draftee for this. With most redraft is, that hasn’t happened. The value assessment will be lower than the original draft position. So that would be what the draft pick offer in trade would likely be, the lower value.
But your original point was why trade for the guy when you can draft him a few rounds later. That’s the logic I’m referring to when I say it’s dumb to wait to draft someone when trading for them it a lot smarter.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Poor Adam, had shoulder surgery and the team didn't invite him to rookie camp nor training camp so he can recover.

He doesn't want to sign? Deuces.

The emergence of Malgin and the trade of Vatrano made him expendable.
Are you saying that he wanted to be at prospect camp, but the panthers did not allow him because of a shoulder injury?

Him wanting to be there is a positive, I can understand why he is upset.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
But your original point was why trade for the guy when you can draft him a few rounds later. That’s the logic I’m referring to when I say it’s dumb to wait to draft someone when trading for them it a lot smarter.

The point is why would a GM trade for a guy with a second when they don't value him as a second.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Are you saying that he wanted to be at prospect camp, but the panthers did not allow him because of a shoulder injury?

Him wanting to be there is a positive, I can understand why he is upset.

Doctors from both camps said he wasn't ready. The team went with the doctors.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Doctors from both camps said he wasn't ready. The team went with the doctors.
Well maybe he didn’t want to participate in any physical activities but just wanted to be there for the experience ?

William Lockwood went to Canucks prospect camp while injured and didn’t participate in anything, he just wanted the experience of being there with the other prospects. Even payed his way there since he is an NCAA prospect.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
He was drafted in that little period when Tallon wasn't GM, right?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well maybe he didn’t want to participate in any physical activities but just wanted to be there for the experience ?

William Lockwood went to Canucks prospect camp while injured and didn’t participate in anything, he just wanted the experience of being there with the other prospects. Even payed his way there since he is an NCAA prospect.
Same with Tyler Benson with the Oilers. Couldn't play or anything really but still attended the camps.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Fans who get royally offended when a player doesn't sign with a team is hilarious to me. This isn't like vesey where he blew them off
Actually it's exactly the same (and I don't have a probelm with either guy). They are allowed under the CBA to not choose to sign. Just as, under the CBA a team can draft a player and then decide not to sign him too.

No moral or ethical problem with any of it. Nobody is forced to sign a contract.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm not sure a roster player could be traded...if so, I don't think he would be able to play ...

Also, Id be surprised if someone gave up a 2nd for him knowing hes not going to sign..can just get him for free.
As the poster you are responding to said: Yes you can trade a guy, yes he can play. He just can't play in the playoffs. It happens many years.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida

So give him a spot when he's not going to participate or give another kid a shot at making the roster?

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
This whole "FLA didn't communicate with him at all and that pissed Mascherin off" narrative is just false.

See article from December 2017.

Mascherin said he talks with the Panthers about once a week and had dinner with [director of Panthers Player personell] on Monday night.

“Or if I have questions, I reach out myself, right?” Mascherin said. “We’ve had a good relationship so far this year.”

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
This whole "FLA didn't communicate with him at all and that pissed Mascherin off" narrative is just false.

See article from December 2017.

Mascherin said he talks with the Panthers about once a week and had dinner with [director of Panthers Player personell] on Monday night.

“Or if I have questions, I reach out myself, right?” Mascherin said. “We’ve had a good relationship so far this year.”

Hey, I wouldn't either decline an offer of free food. The Cats front office got played, Mascherin had a laugh at their expense and now he's off to similar adventure that Jimmy Feces embarked on: join the ranks of a pretender instead of a contender.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Still a 2nd but other GMs know he won't sign so they have the upper hand but if he's packaged with our 1st and one of our RD like Pysyk or Petrovic, we'd be looking for a defensive top 4 RD in return.

FLO:
Juulsen
Byron

MTL:
Florida 2018 1st
Florida 2019 5th
Mascherin

Would that do it?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
FLO:
Juulsen
Byron

MTL:
Florida 2018 1st
Florida 2019 5th
Mascherin

Would that do it?

We need a veteran defenseman coming in, not a prospect like Juulsen. Petry is the only guy you have that would make sense.
Byron is a good player but we are set on forward for most part. Borgstrom and Tippett are on their way.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
And why the Panthers would accept that?

Because Juulsen is settling nicely as a defensive puck-moving defenseman and Byron can provide Mascherin's production for the next 3 years at a cheap cap hit?

Mascherin in any deal won't garner an established Top 4 D, thus a youngster on the path for it should be enticing enough especially on an ELC.

If anything, Mtl takes on the biggest risk in that deal as it sends two NHLers for a guy who's clearly having some issues with his team and draft picks.

Change the 1st to nothing and switch Byron to Pacioretty and sure.

Sure.

FLO:
Pacioretty
Juulsen

MTL:
Mascherin
2018 1st
2018 Yotes 2nd

Because guess what, that's the price ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad