Post-Game Talk: Panthers 3 Sens 2 These go to 11 (somehow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
If I may,

It's impressive how they keep winning even when they aren't playing at their top level, last great showing for me was the Montreal game, it was just simple beautiful game.

But the puck handling has been off lately and so many plays die for no reason and losing the puck control for no reason, ending up chasing the play, faceoffs as others have said needs to get stronger.

(Also really not a fan of the drop pass close to blueline to Jagr on pp).

We haven't been as good in the neutral zone the past few games as well which has hurt our zone entries and being able to get set up off the rush...being forced to dump in more.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I'm big on advanced stats. I've seen this movie before and I don't think we're the exception. During the hot streak the team in question always disputes it and it always comes back to bite them.

It's not that I'm not enjoying it. It's that I know we're not there yet and I don't think we're that close to where we can be. Basically I have a mentality of it's never good enough. I want the players to think the same thing. We need to be better.

Every long winning streak in sports history has a good amount of luck to keep going. No team is good enough to be the better team on the ice every game for almost a month.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Every long winning streak in sports history has a good amount of luck to keep going. No team is good enough to be the better team on the ice every game for almost a month.

So you're saying the PDO is real

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
If we can start winning faceoffs the advanced stats will shift more in our favor. We're not going to come crashing down or have an 11 game losing streak.

It's not as much that. I'm more concerned about a large sample size regression. At this point since we have been opening a big lead on a quite a few teams it's looking more and more like we'll be able to hold them off as long as we play decently. I'm almost more concerned about next year and to a lesser extent the playoffs. Examples.

Toronto from 9th to 23rd
Colorado from 3rd (112 points) to 21st
Calgary and Ottawa from playoffs to out so far.

I want to see the team playing better. I think we all do. I understand that it begins in the circle.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013

I'm not talking about the winning streak. You're fully correct there. I'm talking about the larger body of work. And yes we had injuries early but if you want to throw those out we've probably been worse statistically when healthy.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
It's not as much that. I'm more concerned about a large sample size regression. At this point since we have been opening a big lead on a quite a few teams it's looking more and more like we'll be able to hold them off as long as we play decently. I'm almost more concerned about next year and to a lesser extent the playoffs. Examples.

Toronto from 9th to 23rd
Colorado from 3rd (112 points) to 21st
Calgary and Ottawa from playoffs to out so far.

I want to see the team playing better. I think we all do. I understand that it begins in the circle.

I think the talent on this team is superior to all of those so it's a false comparison

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
Im not too worried about Bjustad, he has been improving each game, and I think he and Shaw seem to work well together. Pirri hasnt been great lately.

Ill repeat what I said earlier, please dont let it be Edmonton. If we lose to Vancouver fine, but if we beat VAN and lose to EDM on the back to back.../seppuku

We need to work on faceoffs, possession, and the PP. Defense is quality imo.

EstConf96*

The biggest difference is goalie and defense.

Our offense is average. Very average.

We have elite defense and elite goaltending. Those are easier to sustain than elite offense.

We have parity in offense not very average. Instead of having one or two guys fighting for art ross we have plenty of guys chiping in.

Only Washington have let in fewer goals then us so the defense sure is elite. Luongo also rock a 0.93 save % his best season in years.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
We have parity in offense not very average. Instead of having one or two guys fighting for art ross we have plenty of guys chiping in.

Only Washington have let in fewer goals then us so the defense sure is elite.

It's tough to say whether it's the defense is elite or the goalies being elite. I personally think it's a combination of above average defensive play and elite goaltending. We've had many games like tonight where Luongo or Montoya have had to come up huge with several big saves.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

Only Washington have let in fewer goals then us so the defense sure is elite. Luongo also rock a 0.93 save % his best season in years.

Good and bad. Our goals scored is middle of the pack. Yes we have goal distribution, but its still average.

our po has regressed bad.

As i said earlier tonight, If our PP improve, we are cup contenders

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The biggest difference is goalie and defense.

Our offense is average. Very average.

We have elite defense and elite goaltending. Those are easier to sustain than elite offense.

Our offense is statistically average 14th or 15 in goals a game but that's with a crap PP. Our 5 on 5 offense is above average. We can improve the PP and we have an above average offense.

We have above average offensive players. We could have four guys hit 25 goals. We could have 6 or 7 players hit or break 20 goals.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
It's tough to say whether it's the defense is elite or the goalies being elite. I personally think it's a combination of above average defensive play and elite goaltending. We've had many games like tonight where Luongo or Montoya have had to come up huge with several big saves.

I put a game like tonight on lack of offense. We got out-possessed.

But, to be fair, game would have been a shutout without two fatal turnovers

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado

The goaltending has been great. This is the Montoya that I hoped they were getting last season.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Madden needs to hold a mini camp for faceoffs during these few days off.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The argument that writer made was that the Panthers were not a particularly good team. He compared them to 3 playoff teams who had similar stats as Florida this year, the '13 Leafs, '14 Avs, '15 Flames. All 3 teams made the playoffs. All 3 teams regressed the next season. I don't know what will happen next year, but I do know that this goaltending is unsustainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad