Post-Game Talk: Panthers 3 Sens 2 These go to 11 (somehow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
So resign him or let him go?
*re-sign

It's not as simple as whether the team wants to keep him or not. Since the playoff year, Campbell has made it pretty clear that he's frustrated about not making the playoffs. So I think whether the team makes the playoffs or not plays a huge part in his decision and also if the team makes it, how far do we end up going.

From the team's POV, a 1-year contract would be ideal. Campbell has made enough money over his career, that I don't think he's really concerned with getting term at this stage, + we have the cap space to slightly overpay him compared to other teams.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I wouldn't mind bringing both Campbell and Mitchell back on a 1-year deal.
If we need a veteran d-man, there's better options on the UFA market. Mitchell is good to have on the PK, but that's about it. He has zero offensive instincts and the play always dies when he has the puck.

prohockey

Jul 2, 2012
The most to my memory. Sneaky balanced offense.

I'll agree.

Exactly. This year has balanced out about 12-15 years of games like this going the other way.

Happening up here too. But I don't forget. I don't forget the losing and all the haters.

Yes. The pipeline talent is higher than Calgary and Toronto. Scouting and management better than Colorado not to mention goaltending plus Dcore combined.

With three days or so in one city plus b2b upcoming this needs to happen through entire weekend. It's bloody cold here right now:blush::brrr: ....no reason not to run one hour skill days with faceoffs and PP work.

Flu bug going around here right now fear for the team in next 2-5 days better have the bodies in minors ready. I felt like crap last night.

I think this team can go 2-3 rounds with goaltending. Need 1-2 trades on wing/Petro/injury likely at deadline.

Windows for winning can be short. My expectations are trending towards round 2-3 with the way Lou has been playing. Washington seems destined to go far but you never know.

Jagr is getting TOO much love up here in Canada but that's to be expected. Luongo is getting Vezina talk but just started this week , he deserves it. The Canadian market knows VERY little about likes of Trocheck, Smith, Guds, Knight, Matheson etc. I'd even dare say Barkov gets mentioned 6:1 ratio on HF main boards vs hockey source on tv outside the real knowledgeable TSN analysis guys.

With all the talk of re signing vets (and they should) do you see the Cats resigning Howden? And with the recent play of Knight and Shaw ,they should get contracts. The question is what type? Brickley?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
With all the talk of re signing vets (and they should) do you see the Cats resigning Howden? And with the recent play of Knight and Shaw ,they should get contracts. The question is what type? Brickley?

Yes, they're all guys who are key players for the bottom 6. Probably get whatever the standard raise is for their year. Nothing too long.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

I see both Howden AND Rau (AHL) part of this team's future at least in the short term on the teams 3rd-4th lines; as well key parts of the special teams. Gallant is still blinded for some reason not playing Howden on the PK. He is arguably top 10-15 in the league shorthanded on a breakaway. He is a game changer in that aspect and seems to be skating better in past 2-3 weeks huge burst right now. I could see one of Howden/Rau moved, but MUCH further down the road.

I'd like to see at least one of Shaw/Knight with two way deals if that's what you mean. Brickley and GG seem to clash, but I like his game personally and much needed on call up.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
They're all RFAs, Brickley/Shaw probably get 2-way for the first year and Howden/Knight get 1-way. 1 or 2 years, depends how the players and Tallon's views meet.

prohockey

Jul 2, 2012
I see both Howden AND Rau (AHL) part of this team's future at least in the short term on the teams 3rd-4th lines; as well key parts of the special teams. Gallant is still blinded for some reason not playing Howden on the PK. He is arguably top 10-15 in the league shorthanded on a breakaway. He is a game changer in that aspect and seems to be skating better in past 2-3 weeks huge burst right now. I could see one of Howden/Rau moved, but MUCH further down the road.

I'd like to see at least one of Shaw/Knight with two way deals if that's what you mean. Brickley and GG seem to clash, but I like his game personally and much needed on call up.

Yes Rau will be interesting part of the team but he has another year on his contract anyway. Knight and Shaw are outplaying Howden of late and shaw is being used late in games Knight moved to wing shows they like him as well

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Don't give Cher new song ideas.

I think conjoined with his regression, the young guys have stepped up and he isn't expected to do as much as he used to anymore. Which is a good thing.

He's below average in the defensive zone these days and the quick acceleration & ability to maintain high-end speed throughout the shift has disappeared. Don't get me wrong, he still has speed and sometimes he shows it by going coast-to-coast through the other team, but I think he's acknowledged that his stamina isn't as good as it used to be and if he tries that stuff, it's away when he needs to get back to the d-zone.

I agree, but that was a huge part of his game in his prime. He can't weave effortlessly through opposing teams anymore. These days he relies more on his smarts, and is still a great puckmover. He's still a good player to have, but with a couple more years of growth from Ekblad, Kuli, and Matheson, I don't think we'll feel his loss that much.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Problem with the Sharks is their division, plus they don't have a 1st rounder (not lottery protected to Boston, ugh). Want them to get in with crapfest to not give Boston another ticket to the top 3 picks.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
While life after Lou will stink, its not a hard position to get good enough performances from other goalies.
I kind of disagree, it's easy to get a backup who has potential, but an established starter?

So resign him or let him go?

I would bet every dollar I had Florida won't be able to re-sign him, and then I'd bet every dollar I made off that first bet that he goes back to Chicago for under 1 million. Dude just wants to win.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I follow this random panthers Twitter account. Cats0ntheprowl, idk if they're reliable. I've heard bad things about the guy who runs it - but apparently we're scouting Drouins team.

My guess is Barkov and a first? Drouin is worth at least as much as Kessel and he's canadian.

This can't be a serious post?

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Yes Rau will be interesting part of the team but he has another year on his contract anyway. Knight and Shaw are outplaying Howden of late and shaw is being used late in games Knight moved to wing shows they like him as well

Different positions-interchangeable. Howden is one of the best black aces you can have in NHL. Adds speed, infusion of energy on bottom lines, can PK, play with multiple different types be it playmakers or grinders and does not complain about his role. Seems like low maintenance guy to me who can be depended upon. Remember he's still young and learning his craft. I see Knight as our full time 4C in couple seasons never thought I'd say that a year or two ago:laugh: Shaw is earning everything he's getting,nothing was ever handed to him via Tallon and staff.

EstConf96*

Different positions-interchangeable. Howden is one of the best black aces you can have in NHL. Adds speed, infusion of energy on bottom lines, can PK, play with multiple different types be it playmakers or grinders and does not complain about his role. Seems like low maintenance guy to me who can be depended upon. Remember he's still young and learning his craft. I see Knight as our full time 4C in couple seasons never thought I'd say that a year or two ago:laugh: Shaw is earning everything he's getting,nothing was ever handed to him via Tallon and staff.

I like your analysis on Howden, Knight and Shaw and agree with you 100%. Would like to hear what you think about Grimaldi and his chances? You may know already my stance on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad