Panarin Thread II (wins Calder)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
You don't pay Darling that unless he proves he is a #1 going forward.
Given the goalie problems some teams have (Anaheim comes to mind) If they let Bernier go they could sign Darling up to 4M (not that anyone would go that high) and still improve in net. Flyers will be looking for a goalie. Ditto with the Isles.

I personally think Darling could be a starter, even if just a bottom-10 starter in the league, not a career backup. He's held himself well enough when Crawford has gone down and, if he was on a team without an elite starter (Anaheim, NYI, Vancouver, Flyers, etc.), he would have likely pulled a Niemi/Crawford and usurped the starting job.

After all, Crawford got his 2.7 after spending just 1/2 of a season of dethroning Turco.

Unless the 'hawks get rid of Crawford though, (and that seems somewhat unlikely at this point since he's not the weakest link), i do agree he is not worth much more than a mil to us, and will likley sign elsewhere.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Crawford played 57 games in that 1/2 season dethroning Turco (+7 playoff games) and was probably the best player in series vs Nucks while the guy who saved season

Darling has yet to show he can carry a #1 workload at any level (Crawford was proven #1 in AHL for years) nor play to the level consistently we saw from Crawford as rookie

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Actually though. Why hasn't Panarin been signed yet?

Every time any "news" comes out about Panarin's contract talks, the news is basically that there is no news.

So why? I don't think waiting until after this season is over is a very good idea. This should be Stan's #1 priority right now IMO.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Every time any "news" comes out about Panarin's contract talks, the news is basically that there is no news.

So why? I don't think waiting until after this season is over is a very good idea. This should be Stan's #1 priority right now IMO.

*shrugs* Maybe they cant get a deal done and Stan is working on a trade as we speak. Who knows.

How many Blackhawks contracts get finalized mid-season? Seabrook did, anybody else of note?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

*shrugs* Maybe they cant get a deal done and Stan is working on a trade as we speak. Who knows.

How many Blackhawks contracts get finalized mid-season? Seabrook did, anybody else of note?

It's very much possible either scenario is currently going on as we speak, and it's just being kept very quiet. No reason to leak out news if they're still trying to get a deal done, and no reason to leak out that they're having trouble if they're trying to trade him, as it could potentially diminish his value on the trade market by teams knowing the Hawks are having issues signing him. I've just made peace with the fact that there's probably a 50/50 chance he isn't here next year.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It's very much possible either scenario is currently going on as we speak, and it's just being kept very quiet. No reason to leak out news if they're still trying to get a deal done, and no reason to leak out that they're having trouble if they're trying to trade him, as it could potentially diminish his value on the trade market by teams knowing the Hawks are having issues signing him. I've just made peace with the fact that there's probably a 50/50 chance he isn't here next year.

sad to say this, but it is all too true.

does the hawks have any replacement in the minors???

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
sad to say this, but it is all too true.

does the hawks have any replacement in the minors???

No, there is nobody remotely close to Panarin's skill in the Hawks system. Panarin is the type of talent you normally only find in the draft lottery, thankfully the Hawks haven't picked there in a while.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
No, there is nobody remotely close to Panarin's skill in the Hawks system. Panarin is the type of talent you normally only find in the draft lottery, thankfully the Hawks haven't picked there in a while.

thanks for responding, i really screwed up here. i really thought the subject shifted to Darling and the possibility of darling leaving. the idea of darling getting a better deal via FA.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I can see a few schools of thought when it comes to Stan's thinking about the Panarin situation:

1/ At this time he isn't playing nearly as well as he has shown. Stan needs to get serious about signing him now and get him inked before he breaks out.

2/ Stan could gamble somewhat that Panarin will not return to his rookie season form which could keep his expectations lower at season's end.

Personally, I hope Stan signs him ASAP. Start shopping Kruger and hope you find a desperate GM willing to pay for that contract.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
I can see a few schools of thought when it comes to Stan's thinking about the Panarin situation:

1/ At this time he isn't playing nearly as well as he has shown. Stan needs to get serious about signing him now and get him inked before he breaks out.

2/ Stan could gamble somewhat that Panarin will not return to his rookie season form which could keep his expectations lower at season's end.

Personally, I hope Stan signs him ASAP. Start shopping Kruger and hope you find a desperate GM willing to pay for that contract.
Elite talent is elite talent. I don't think his current level of play has anything to do with it. The team is adjusting to the new lines, and it will take time. Panarin is not a non-replaceable player. Question is, who you replace him with, at the same or cheaper cost.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

A few games ago he didn't play as good as last season, but had a Howe hat-trick and earned the team a point. The last game he didn't play as good, but Hossa scored after his shot. It's what GMs value, not a good personal statistics, but points that players earn for their teams.

Players that can win you a game with a single move, like Kane or Panarin, are worth a lot.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
A few games ago he didn't play as good as last season, but had a Howe hat-trick and earned the team a point. The last game he didn't play as good, but Hossa scored after his shot. It's what GMs value, not a good personal statistics, but points that players earn for their team.

Players that can win you a game with a single move, like Kane or Panarin, are worth a lot.

This is accurate. Kane and Panarin both had bad game but yet both produced points.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

i will give way to you and other posters who has some ideas, b/c i am brain dead as what to do. i have no confidence in my half arse ideas, and i really can't figure this out.

i do enjoy reading these great idea.

keep the good work.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Panarin is worth keeping around. Kid is barely behind Kane in talent and vision when on ice. He's going to be a BIG star in this league, if he isn't already. Playing with Kane surely helps him, but I don't see him slowing down much if he were to be somewhere else with lesser linemates. now's the time to lock him in long-term on a friendly deal.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
For you possession/stats people out there:

But when it comes to puck possession numbers, Panarin is the driving force for the Blackhawks.

When he's on the ice at even strength this season (342:34 minutes), the Blackhawks control 57.49 of the shot attempts, according to naturalstattrick.com, which ranks No. 1 on the team. Their overall team percentage is 50.9, a number that sits at No. 11 in the NHL.

Let's break it down further than that, though.

Panarin's most frequent linemates this year have been Artem Anisimov, Marian Hossa and Kane, all of whom he's played at least 100 minutes with at even strength, and there's no close fourth.

Check out the advanced numbers of those three teammates when they're with Panarin vs. when they're without him, courtesy of hockeyanalysis.com, through the first 23 games of the season:

— When Panarin and Anisimov are on the ice together at even strength (251:23), the Blackhawks control 54.0 percent of the shot attempts. When they're separated, Panarin's percentage skyrockets to 65.6 while Anisimov's plummets to 35.5. For reference, Anisimov's season percentage is 50.6.

— When Panarin and Hossa are on the ice together at even strength (151:24), the Blackhawks control 60.3 percent of the shot attempts. When they're separated, Panarin's percentage is 54.7 while Hossa's drops to 47.6. Hossa's season percentage is 54.8.

— When Panarin and Kane are on the ice together at even strength (161:17), the Blackhawks control 55.1 percent of the shot attempts. When they're separated, Panarin's percentage is 59.2 while Kane's dips to 44.8. Kane's season percentage is 48.8.

Everybody's possession numbers dramatically descend when they're not out there with Panarin, who consistently generates scoring chances.

What sticks out the most is the fact Panarin's numbers are still very impressive without those three guys. He makes everybody better. Just ask Hossa, who erupted for eight goals in the first 10 games of November after being moved to Panarin's line.

From this article: http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-blackhawks/why-artemi-panarin-so-valuable-blackhawks

Basically just further evidence that they need to get an extension done, and soon. Panarin is not a player you dick around with because of the salary cap. He is a player who you sign FIRST and deal with the cap implications later.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
His offensive zone start % is something like 87% or something. That's insane.

I agree he needs to be signed at any cost, but his possession stats aren't the significant reason why.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hawks aren't going to sign him until the off-season.

They don't know what the cap is going to be next year, and they don't know if Panarin will hit his bonuses this season. They aren't going to take that risk.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Hawks aren't going to sign him until the off-season.

They don't know what the cap is going to be next year, and they don't know if Panarin will hit his bonuses this season. They aren't going to take that risk.

i think it will be a huge mistake. the thing is, i think that the fo will need to find out who to move to free up money.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
i think it will be a huge mistake. the thing is, i think that the fo will need to find out who to move to free up money.

I really don't see much of an issue..unless Panarin hits his bonuses. If they can't trade Kruger, they could buy him out. And if you take basically the same team as this for next year, they will have roughly 6.5mil in cap space to sign Panarin.

I wouldn't be as worried about offer sheets this off-season as I was with Saad a couple seasons ago. I would be more worried about Panarin leaving for Russia if the Hawks don't give him what he wants.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I really don't see much of an issue..unless Panarin hits his bonuses. If they can't trade Kruger, they could buy him out. And if you take basically the same team as this for next year, they will have roughly 6.5mil in cap space to sign Panarin.

I wouldn't be as worried about offer sheets this off-season as I was with Saad a couple seasons ago. I would be more worried about Panarin leaving for Russia if the Hawks don't give him what he wants.

but what about those other rfa's of the hawks.....

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
For you possession/stats people out there:

From this article: http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-blackhawks/why-artemi-panarin-so-valuable-blackhawks

Basically just further evidence that they need to get an extension done, and soon. Panarin is not a player you dick around with because of the salary cap. He is a player who you sign FIRST and deal with the cap implications later.

Everybody's ozone starts dramatically descend away from Panarin as well. He's currently sitting at 81 ZSR. The last time a top 6 forward with significant ice time hit that number was the Sedins in 2011. They both hit over 100 points.

Panarin is a great player in the Ozone. Is he the best possession driver of he, Kane and Anisimov? Yes. But he's afforded starts the team cant provide if certain players are shed to make cap room for him.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Everybody's ozone starts dramatically descend away from Panarin as well. He's currently sitting at 81 ZSR. The last time a top 6 forward with significant ice time hit that number was the Sedins in 2011. They both hit over 100 points.

Panarin is a great player in the Ozone. Is he the best possession driver of he, Kane and Anisimov? Yes. But he's afforded starts the team cant provide if certain players are shed to make cap room for him.

seriously.... does all the advance stuff really works and prediction and all???

so all someone has to do, go to the draft and draft according to the stats????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00